Mexico, Thailand and more could be removed from red travel list

webfact

12 hours ago, bikerlou47 said:

How will it open up to the UK when SINOPHARM IS NOT ON THE LIST OF APPROVED VACCINES ?                                    

Because the UK do not recognise ANY vaccines given in Thailand, so it doesn't matter which one you got.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Not quite correct.    if Thailand moves to the Green List and in the absence of recognition of AZ Thailand all that is required is 10 days quarantine in your own home.  No great hardship and not irrelevant in my thinking personally.   Plus I am confident that come January 2022 WHO will have approved the vaccine made by Siam Bioscience following the September 2021 submisssion to WHO for approval.

I think they will accept people who have had vaccines from abroad as early as next month,or at least the main ones as in AZ, Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson and Johnson.

It's not only people vaccinated in Thailand that is suffering with this situation, there are plenty of countries as well, that need their vaccine procedures recognizing and being accepted by the international community.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

"Britons will no longer be advised to avoid holidays to 32 destinations, including Bangladesh, Fiji, Gambia and Malaysia, the Foreign Office has said."

Bangladesh????? Where there's no vaccines and they're dropping like flies in the streets, that's safe to travel to and from, but not Thailand?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bikerlou47 said:

How will it open up to the UK when SINOPHARM IS NOT ON THE LIST OF APPROVED VACCINES ?                                    

As I understand it its not the vaccines they are concerned about as lots have had astra or pfzer it's the administration of the vaccine that is the issue and is  not recognised hence the vaccine passport or certificate is no good if going to the uk. It's like they dont trust Thailand I wonder why

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

These types of meetings usually rubber stamp previously prepared submissions. They don’t decide everything there and then.

I thought the idea was the Government release data and the press tell the public?, maybe I have been getting it wrong ????

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

"Britons will no longer be advised to avoid holidays to 32 destinations, including Bangladesh, Fiji, Gambia and Malaysia, the Foreign Office has said."

Bangladesh????? Where there's no vaccines and they're dropping like flies in the streets, that's safe to travel to and from, but not Thailand?

All the Curry shops would close....Who is going to make my Chicken Tikka?

17 hours ago, lujanit said:

From another article today

"The removal from the red list of Mexico, South Africa and Thailand would send "a confidence boost across the sector and across consumers.

Mr Charles said it is "very hard to justify" why any countries are on the list "when there are no new variants of concern there".

Delta is no longer a variant of concern?

According to the Daily Mail it is the Beta variant that is putting the pussy among the pigeons regarding Thailand. Given the number of variants identified so far and the ever present risk of new ones these shinanigans could potentially go on for months yet.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

dropping like flies? jut over 700 new cases on the 6th of this month

Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 23-58-52 covid -19 bangladash - Google Search.png

It's looking like they're no longer regarding Beta as a threat, with South Aftica coming off the list confirmed by Grant Shapps (transport minister) I would now expect Thailand to be removed as well.

I am surprised by this move, all of Africa is also coming off the list.

In fact someone posted a leaked list of the 7 which remain on the list, I don't know how accurate it is but here it is :

Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Dominican Republic, Haiti and Venezuela.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It's looking like they're no longer regarding Beta as a threat, with South Aftica coming off the list confirmed by Grant Shapps (transport minister) I would now expect Thailand to be removed as well.

In fact someone posted a leaked list of the 7 which remain on the list, I don't know how accurate it is but here it is :

Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Panama, Dominican Republic, Haiti and Venezuela.

I'm in London just see update from sky news. You are correct looks like Thailand off red list

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Lol, looks like someones missus has run off with a bigger and better Thai man...

She is sat with me looking at your stupid comment, she too is anti her own country, it's a mess and nothing to be proud of.

Edited by henry213

Thailand is OFF the ENGLAND Red list from next Monday (devolved nations make their own rules)

From the OFFICIAL UK Govt website:  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-list-of-countries-and-territories 

Last updated 7 October 2021 

QUOTE: "Thailand Will move off the red list at 4am Monday 11 October. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the red list rules."

Applies to England

Now we just have to contend with the Thai requirement lottery!

Edited by VBF

Depending if Thai vaccinations are accepted or recognized ...? (last paragraph from article )

Unvaccinated travelers coming from non-red list countries, and those who are vaccinated but coming from unapproved countries, still need to take a pre-departure test for travelling to England, quarantine at home for 10 days and take a day two PCR test.

COVID-19: Travel red list countries slashed to seven with 47 destinations set to be removed | UK News | Sky News

15 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Thailand has very little chance of being removed from the UK,s Red List any time soon.

The Country has by far, the worst number of Infections per Population head in the Asean Bloc.

There is very little testing being performed, for not only the Covid variants within the Country that are in existence now, but more importantly, for any new Variants that may be present.

Thailand also has a dubious record of recording Infections, and Vaccinations, some of which are neither ethical, or moral in practice.

And with very low vaccination rates, the Country has sealed its future for a while yet.

One of many crystal ball classics. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Now to sit back and watch all the cringeworthy U turn egg on the face posters. 

No U-turn here - I said earlier "Then it might change....but I doubt it."

HAPPY to be proven wrong ???? but it sort of shows that very few of us on this forum know how Govts arrive at these decisions - maybe that's a good thing?

Edited by VBF

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

No U-turn here - I said earlier "Then it might change....but I doubt it."

HAPPY to be proven wrong ???? but it sort of shows that very few of us on this forum know how Govts arrive at these decisions - maybe that's a good thing?

Oh right. I thought the forum was made up of wanna be scientific experts who would have some believe they know everything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

What date is your ticket booked for?

Don't get too excited... the BBC (NOT official Govt site) has this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58822439   "The full list of destinations for which the Foreign Office has eased its travel advice is....." List follows EXCLUDING Thailand, which I believe means getting travel insurance may be difficult. As was pointed out earlier today, the FO advice list is not the same as the Red List

UPDATE:

As I was typing that, my regular Travel Advice email from the FO arrived Foreign travel advice Thailand containing

Latest update:

From 4am on Monday 11 October, Thailand will no longer be on the red list for entering England. Check what you must do to travel abroad and return to England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. ('Summary' and 'Coronavirus' pages)

"The FCDO advise against all but essential travel to the whole of Thailand based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks."

So regrettably, my observation about insurance probably still applies.  @Kadilo we cross-posted 

Edited by VBF

4 minutes ago, VBF said:

Don't get too excited... the BBC (NOT official Govt site) has this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58822439   "The full list of destinations for which the Foreign Office has eased its travel advice is....." List follows EXCLUDING Thailand, which I believe means getting travel insurance may be difficult. As was pointed out earlier today, the FO advice list is not the same as the Red List

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-list-of-countries-and-territories#history

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If Thailand's figure falls below 1000 daily cases, then it will be considered safe.

Safe for Thais and other non-vaccinated people yes - I consider it safe for vaxxed people now. As the subject of this thread is removing it from the UK red list that means most people living in UK who wish to travel to Thailand. As UK Govt has taken it off the red-list they must think similarly.

The advice from FO not to travel is just that - advice and non-enforceable. Unfortunately insurance comps use it as a cop-out. That advice system has existed for many years, long before Covid and Red lists.

My personal feeling (no evidence) is that now Thailand is off the Red List, the FO will relax the advice but the FO is subservient to Central Govt, not the other way around.

Edited by VBF