Condo ownership by foreigners revealed: China tops, UK in third

webfact

5 hours ago, Enzian said:

Americans not even in the top five, and for sure I won't ever be helping bump up that standing one bit.

China delenda est.

even for tourism americans are down on the list, easier to go to mexico for a trip

1 hour ago, Boarn said:

Well in my opinion Thailand owes me the Thailand I moved to ????

Joking aside this has absolutely nothing to do with race, it's down to behavior, noise made, cleanliness and regard for people in your vicinity.

No issue whatsoever with people from Hong Kong, Taiwan or people of Chinese descent not from mainland China, they behave in very different ways. Only talking based on experience, it's sad I know but I suppose their government is to blame for allowing their citizens to be so uncouth and unsophisticated.

Yes, maybe people wouldn't want to live next to me, however I never spit in the corridor, scream at ungodly hours of the night, shut at my partner instead of talking, smoke in the elevator, push and shove to get to the food and the list goes on.

You have to rememberwho has been teaching the manors in china the last 30 or 40 years. They killed all the people with manors and education. The manors have been taught by the wild and wooly farmers and people who use to carry around the little red book.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Top five for real estate ownership were the Chinese with 20,796 units, 2,007 Russian, 1,113 UK, 1,110 French and 825 Japanese.

I really thought the Brits were smarter than that.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

I see more Americans than British or Russians in Thailand, why aren't they in the top 5?

Most Americans don't want to live in a condo.  We much prefer homes with no shared walls and with a garden.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

From 2018 to 2020 this comprised 34,653 units amounting to 1.4 million square meters worth 145 billion baht.

So in average, that's just above 40 square meters per unit. Hardly the high rollers they seek to attract in large numbers.

Before the pandemic, they could attract a few ten thousands of low to mid range real estate buyers per year. No way they'll attract 1 million with the much higher requirements they have in mind. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomyami said:

evergrande thai style

Exactly not. It's quite illegal for foreigners to buy Thai soil forever. And Chinese are foreigners in Thailand. 

Buying a condo does not mean you're the owner of the soil that it's built on. 

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

Not much American information on this forum. Everything is slanted towards the UK. 

These are statistics, not slanted toward or against anyone. Should they slant it toward Americans by saying they own more condos than they do? 

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

even for tourism americans are down on the list, easier to go to mexico for a trip

You have to rememberwho has been teaching the manors in china the last 30 or 40 years. They killed all the people with manors and education. The manors have been taught by the wild and wooly farmers and people who use to carry around the little red book.

manners!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boarn said:

Quite sickening that Chinese are allowed to buy, no place for them here with the current government they have. If there were this many Chinese here when I moved in good faith in 2005, I wouldn't have moved. Good faith counts for nothing in Thailand. Glad I never bought a condo, it's a toss of a coin as to who will live next door, these numbers don't put odds in your favor.

???? Chinese people are not their government.

The surprising thing to me is seeing the French in fourth place. One would have thought that they would have been more attracted to the countries in the old French Indo-China, where they would have a chance of being able to communicate in their own language (I've found myself before having to speak French in Laos to make myself understood), and also be able to appreciate the baguettes! For every Frenchman I've met in Thailand there must have been about 20 Scandis: perhaps the latter don't buy condos.

8 hours ago, hioctane said:

Wow. The Chinese own 10x the second closest!

Nouveau-riche. China has been able to position itself as the number one world producer of low cost goods through a centrally controlled economy and, in a bit of irony, earning capitalist profits from the capitalist west.

15 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

The surprising thing to me is seeing the French in fourth place. One would have thought that they would have been more attracted to the countries in the old French Indo-China, where they would have a chance of being able to communicate in their own language (I've found myself before having to speak French in Laos to make myself understood), and also be able to appreciate the baguettes! For every Frenchman I've met in Thailand there must have been about 20 Scandis: perhaps the latter don't buy condos.

Difference in the form of government???

3 hours ago, moe666 said:

can't speak to today but when I was looking to retire from the US a decade ago, other countries on the list were Mexico, Panama Canal Zone and Ecuador. never mind the reality deniers, the USA has been a bi-lingual country since taking half of Mexico, then add in Puerto Rico and Cuba pre Castro.

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wonder how much of the money used to buy the condos here by Chinese folks is dirty money from Ill gotten gains, scams, or from government stooges.  

Hmmm, I would be tempted to smart off but in light of both the Panama Papers and the recent Pandora investigative reporting ...

• Thanks 1