Thailand to revive its medical tourism sector amid COVID pandemic

webfact

3 hours ago, lujanit said:

I am registered at Bumrungrad for a vaccine jab x 2.  They accepted me as I had been there before.  There has been no contact from them in the last four months.  Now they are trying to jump on the covid 'recovery' bandwagon to make a large amount of baht.  Seems a bit ingenious to me.

For Moderna?

Probably next year.

A foreigner friend of mine got the Corona and admitted himself to and upmarket Bkk hospital at 30,000 baht a day for room only, and the communication in English, the service and food that he got there was far, far below exceptions and quality for that joint and that price, so, good luck with the "medical tourism" thingy...

• Thanks 2

I live on KP have been waiting a year to get dentures fitted in Bangkok and am still not prepared to go up there due to so many red zones I would have to travel through looks like I will be waiting another good 6 months even tho I have had 2 AZ vaccines I’m not going to take the risk 

• Like 2

My brother in law in BKK, 2 weeks after receiving his first Covid jab, Astra Zenica,  came down with Covid about 6 weeks ago, and after a week of feverish coughing he started to have trouble breathing. He had a pulse oximeter and the reading was 90%. He was in a bad way.

His family contacted many hospitals by phone but no hospital would take him. They personally went to 7 or 8 hospitals around BKK both government and private, begging them to find a bed, but to no avail. Full, no beds, no doctors, go away.

Eventually, after 2 days, through a contact of a contact who knew someone high up the management chain at Bumrungrad, a bed there was found for him, and after collating reams of paperwork, mostly relating to a positive covid test,  an ambulance was eventually sent to collect my brother in law.

He spent 17 days in hospital. The treatment, care, facilities and especially the food was excellent and eventually he was discharged. Medication, tests, more tests, x rays, a team of Doctors and nurses operating mostly by video calls to the room. the nurses when they came into the room were fully enclosed in bio hazard gear.  But he recovered and his life had in all probability been saved.

The bill for this came to around 500,000 baht.  My brother in law is not particularly wealthy, lower middle class would describe his status, but the bill, most of which was covered by the covid insurance he had taken out when the pandemic started was, after much to-ing and fro-ing, paid by the insurance company.

Half a million baht, considering it saved his life ..... cheap at half the price.  The medication he received was similar to that given to patients in Western hospitals. Whether patients in Thai government hospitals would receive the same expensive medication I dont know.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MUSTYJACK said:

My brother in law in BKK, 2 weeks after receiving his first Covid jab, Astra Zenica,  came down with Covid about 6 weeks ago, and after a week of feverish coughing he started to have trouble breathing. He had a pulse oximeter and the reading was 90%. He was in a bad way.

His family contacted many hospitals by phone but no hospital would take him. They personally went to 7 or 8 hospitals around BKK both government and private, begging them to find a bed, but to no avail. Full, no beds, no doctors, go away.

Eventually, after 2 days, through a contact of a contact who knew someone high up the management chain at Bumrungrad, a bed there was found for him, and after collating reams of paperwork, mostly relating to a positive covid test,  an ambulance was eventually sent to collect my brother in law.

He spent 17 days in hospital. The treatment, care, facilities and especially the food was excellent and eventually he was discharged. Medication, tests, more tests, x rays, a team of Doctors and nurses operating mostly by video calls to the room. the nurses when they came into the room were fully enclosed in bio hazard gear.  But he recovered and his life had in all probability been saved.

The bill for this came to around 500,000 baht.  My brother in law is not particularly wealthy, lower middle class would describe his status, but the bill, most of which was covered by the covid insurance he had taken out when the pandemic started was, after much to-ing and fro-ing, paid by the insurance company.

Half a million baht, considering it saved his life ..... cheap at half the price.  The medication he received was similar to that given to patients in Western hospitals. Whether patients in Thai government hospitals would receive the same expensive medication I dont know.

Thai or foreign brother in law ?

On 10/9/2021 at 3:15 AM, webfact said:

Businesses aim to profit from government's 'living with COVID' strategy

As evident in Phuket, now Bumungrad want a piece of the action.

Phuket you get locked up in a quarantine hotel, now at Bumungard you can have your money surgically removed with precision.

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2021 at 7:27 AM, bkk6060 said:

For Moderna?

Probably next year.

No I was told Pfizer.  Then the idiots in government said private entities were not allowed to import vaccines. So dead end there.