Bangkok Parents Administering Hormones To Children

I have heard some disturbing but reliable reports that local pre-adolescent kids in some of the ritzier schools in Bangkok are being dosed with hormones- Human Growth Hormone as well as other endocrine cocktails- over periods of months of years, in some cases to insure they grow "taller." These very dodgy-sounding regimes are often directly administered by their parents, who are frequently themselves doctors. Apparently this has become a popular-enough "fad" to have been discussed on Thai television.

I hope I'm not overstating the case, but isn't this completely nuts?!?

"Steven"

Do you know, I had a conversation with a Thai woman about this only a week ago. I saw her in the car park of our condo with her two children. We stood chatting and she said she had to go to the hospital. I asked whether one of the kids was sick and she explained that she was having the girl treated with hormones to delay puberty 'after all, you don't want your daughter starting her periods too early do you?' she told me that 14 was a good age. I was astonished and managed to ask about her son. Apparently it is fine for boys to do it naturally! <deleted> is all that about. The family are extremely wealthy and both parents are well educated. She asked me if I would like some information brought back from the hospital so I could start my elder daughter on it ASAP. I declined. It is pure madness IMHO.