SURVEY: When are YOU coming back to Thailand?

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Richard, 

I have some step by step instructions Which simplify the process. I can PM you if you like? 

Hi Richard, 

I'm British and wouldn't mind a simple set of instructions if you don't mind.

I worry on losing money on flights, hotel etc if that pre departure test is positive!

• Thanks 2

When travel’s as it was in 2019, except for needing proof of vaccination. No masks, no PCR tests. I’m well aware that means I’m probably never returning to Thailand - and I own a condo there and have 17 years to go on an Elite visa.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, dontpanic said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

PCR testing before departure from Thailand is not needed for all countries (I.e the UK)

Arrival PCR (day 2) costs £35

Pre-departure (<72 hrs) PCR also costs £35.

Insurance- we (family) have it anyway.

Hi, could you tell me where you get the pre departure PCR test in the UK for £35 please 

https://covid.randox.com/pre-departure/

If you are not near a test facility you can book and collect the test kit from a nearby ‘location’ (i.e. customer service centre at xx shopping centre etc), self administer the test, and drop off at a specified ‘drop off location’ 

OR, for £43 you can have the test kid mailed to you, self administer the test and then can drop it off at a ‘drop off centre’ (within a reasonable distance).

OR... you can get to the airport 3 hours before you want to check in and can get a PCR test there. 

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 18.25.21.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

PCR testing before departure from Thailand is not needed for all countries (I.e the UK)

Arrival PCR (day 2) costs £35

Insurance- we (family) have it anyway.

PCR testing is needed for all. It's a requirement of the COE.

Correct...  however, you have contracted me without reading carefully.... PCR testing FROM Thailand is not needed for travel to ALL countries... 

Example UK - where PCR test is £35.........  and pre-Departure PCR test (i.e. IF travelling to Thailand - the Pre-departure (<72 hrs) PCR also costs £35).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Correct...  however, you have contracted me without reading carefully.... PCR testing FROM Thailand is not needed for travel to ALL countries... 

Example UK - where PCR test is £35.........  and pre-Departure PCR test (i.e. IF travelling to Thailand - the Pre-departure (<72 hrs) PCR also costs £35).

Apologies! We had to get a test for travel to the US in June. A requirement of JAL.

Just paid 70€ for our test here in Lisbon. Sucks!

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

https://covid.randox.com/pre-departure/

If you are not near a test facility you can book and collect the test kit from a nearby ‘location’ (i.e. customer service centre at xx shopping centre etc), self administer the test, and drop off at a specified ‘drop off location’ 

OR, for £43 you can have the test kid mailed to you, self administer the test and then can drop it off at a ‘drop off centre’ (within a reasonable distance).

OR... you can get to the airport 3 hours before you want to check in and can get a PCR test there. 

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 18.25.21.png

Thanks Richard, much appreciated. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tonray said:

Get rid of the COE and the absurd 3.3 million baht COVID insurance requirements. You're killing Thailand as a destination

I agree.  Those expensive restrictions are killing Thailand as a destination.  I cannot wait to go back to Hanoi as my travel hub.

• Like 2

Was planning a return nov but will wait till jan/feb 22 no cohesive reopening plan just stupid TAT out of the hat projections no leadership how can anyone plan a visit.

Sandbox was a failure may have work for returnees but not tourists, US opening nov canaries near normal

• Like 2

The original attraction to Thailand no longer exists.  Prayut.....you screwed the Pooch and ate the Golden Goose.

Xi has you in his back pocket and you'll never find your way out.

The days of Waltzing into Swampy with a 30 day Visa free pass and extending it for another 30 days is over.  Now it's fubarred, goat-rope, hose-job, bungled paper game.  As well as , get screwed out of a few baht along the way. Ive been coming to Thailand annually since 1998.  Lived and worked there 7 years.  Picked up a wife.....mistake, leasing is a much better deal and you get your choice of new colors and interior each year.

Semi retired.  Contract for six months and enjoy life for the six winter months.  Games over now.  To many SE Asian, South Pacific, South American and Euro Countries opening back up, or easing restrictions.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tomyami said:

Was planning a return nov but will wait till jan/feb 22 no cohesive reopening plan just stupid TAT out of the hat projections no leadership how can anyone plan a visit.

Sandbox was a failure may have work for returnees but not tourists, US opening nov canaries near normal

Erm.... Read the comment above yours !!!...  Nov looks good (unless you are not vaccinated). 

Prime Minister has announced that he’s instructed the CCSA and MoPH to urgently consider within this week to allow, as of 1st November, international visitors to enter Thailand without any requirement for quarantine if they are fully vaccinated and arrive by air from low-risk countries.

i.e. there is a strong probability there will be no Quarantine for those vaccinated arrivals from ‘key’ countries from Nov 1st. 

--------

Regarding the Sandbox success: It was a success, it provided critical data of risk to Thailand of incoming international vaccinated arrivals. 

The information provided from the Sandbox has offered Thailand confidence that vaccinated arrivals from overseas present little risk. Hence the steps now being taken to open up. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Prayut just announced no quarantine required from Nov 1st. 

As usual, no clarity or details - not sure if this is just for dual vaxxed arrivals or if CoE application is still required (I’d assume such).

Yes agreed, there is never any clarity, actually in most things in LOS. Just got to roll with what you've got at the time you need to use it and assume if you wait a other week it will be different. 

Been away from my family for too long now so for me it's go time.

• Like 1

I will return in 2022. If most of the restrictions are gone, I may get my insurance and air ticket 

possibly in January, but more likely,  I will not return until December of 2022. By then I expect that

the rules will for sure be different than they are now.  For now, I will keep watching Thai visa and other news

outlets for Thailand and stay entertained and informed.

Geezer

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Haven't seen the wife and kid since March last year, and I wont be returning until these daft hoops are removed.

Due to my own circumstances I have to go back to the UK every 9 months for a couple of days, it simply is not worth the time and daft cost every 9 months jumping through all the hoops. 

If they dropped the COE, testing of vaccinated people, quarantining of quarantined people, daft insurance demands, testing of vaccinated people ....... I'd book today and fly tomorrow.

You and thousands of other expats with Thai families. I don,t pay ransom to see my familiy.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is that a home test PCR?  If so, please note, some airlines, notably KLM, don't accept them.  Their Travedoc page doesn't say that - only that the test must be an RT-PCR but I was told verbally by staff at their healthcare centre in Amsterdam and by check-in staff at Manchester.  I haven't seen a home test kit result but provided it doesn't state that the swab was taken at home, I don't see how they'd know.

I answered the actual survey, but...

Are you planning to visit or return to Thailand this year?

Yes. Targeting early-mid December when professional life quiets down here during the holiday season.

Have you actually booked your travel?

No, but it's pretty normal for me to book just 1-2 weeks ahead of travel date. That seems even more prudent now with international travel rules in flux.

Would additional factors - such as the alcohol ban possibly still being in place - put you off visiting Thailand?

Not the alcohol ban specifically, but sure, there are factors that might put me off.

Restrictions that limit my day-to-day experience would be a heavy disincentive. In fact, anything even sorta approximating lockdown restrictions would sour the idea. If I'm required to wear a mask, I'll grudgingly wear a mask, but other than that life on a daily basis needs to feel relatively normal.

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Haven't seen the wife and kid since March last year, and I wont be returning until these daft hoops are removed.

Due to my own circumstances I have to go back to the UK every 9 months for a couple of days, it simply is not worth the time and daft cost every 9 months jumping through all the hoops. 

If they dropped the COE, testing of vaccinated people, quarantining of quarantined people, daft insurance demands, testing of vaccinated people ....... I'd book today and fly tomorrow.

Get booking your prayers have been answered....????????

Good news from the pumpkin faced glorious leader last night!

Now that quarantine is down to 7 days and its looking like the Bangkok 'Sandbox' is likley to start on 1 November, I'll be returning in January for the first time since March 2020.  My Mrs, has visited me in the UK twice in that time and has had to endure quarantine at both ends (in it at the moment.

So to answer the questions:

1. Not this year as the situation is far from over and my wife has only just gone back to Thailand. 

2. No.

3. They don't put me off as I'll be coming to see my family but if I was a genuine tourist, no way would I accept having to apply for C.O.E, be tracked, not be able to drink etc.  I just wonder how many 'real' tourists know that even if they are prepared to jump through the hoops, the place is far from open.

Then there's the additional costs.  I reckon that 7 day quarantine and insurance is going to cost me about 30,000 baht.  God knows what a family of 4 would have to pay for their quarantine.  A none quarantine 2 bed penthouse in Kamala, Phuket (Airbnb) that would sleep the entire family can be had for the same price for 14 nights as I'm paying for 7. Then there's the insurance.

I doubt many 'real' tourists are going to arrive until all restrictions (vaccine excepted) are lifted and they're the ones the tourist industry really needs.

• Like 1