SURVEY: When are YOU coming back to Thailand?

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm.... Read the comment above yours !!!...  Nov looks good (unless you are not vaccinated). 

Prime Minister has announced that he’s instructed the CCSA and MoPH to urgently consider within this week to allow, as of 1st November, international visitors to enter Thailand without any requirement for quarantine if they are fully vaccinated and arrive by air from low-risk countries.

i.e. there is a strong probability there will be no Quarantine for those vaccinated arrivals from ‘key’ countries from Nov 1st. 

--------

Regarding the Sandbox success: It was a success, it provided critical data of risk to Thailand of incoming international vaccinated arrivals. 

The information provided from the Sandbox has offered Thailand confidence that vaccinated arrivals from overseas present little risk. Hence the steps now being taken to open up. 

Wont travel on that he has flip flopped more times punket siut those who needed to return not tourist seeking some nightlife

Just returned from Lanszarote no covid rules have decide to go back instead of thailand

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Richard, 

I have some step by step instructions Which simplify the process. I can PM you if you like? 

That is very helpful right now today 12/10/2021, but what about tomorrow, next week, or next month?

19 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

at the moment,  apparently two PCR tests for Pattaya sandbox, pre paid and pre arranged with the 7 day SHA hotel you must pre book and pre pay.  I read that Phuke sandbox folks are suggesting the use of ATK self test kits instead in order to reduce the cost to tourists.  And even if vaccinated, most airlines I think may still require negative test?  some say Emirates pays for this.  Not much help if people don't fly emirates

If Emirates do pay for the PCR tests, it will probably be added to the cost of the fare, and good on them, why can't other airlines do the same?

In fact, why do the airlines not just add everything to the cost of the fares and save people a lot of hassle.

In saying that, it still does not excuse certain greedy people for using the pandemic for getting rich.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

as soon as thailand opens I am leaving to europe for a short brake to be vaccinated there with J&J, which will give me european green pass and allow easy travel many times per year, as it use to be pre-covid.

I will get covid insurance for 1 year, which will save me money in a long run, comparing to many short and expensive ones. I believe this requirement will stay, even if COE, pcr tests, sandboxes are long gone and dusted.

I wish not be charged an additional 500b per entry, because I am not a tourist. But probably they will still charge me and count me multiple times as a tourist 

"I wish not be charged an additional 500b per entry, because I am not a tourist"

That's some wish. ????????

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Prayut just announced no quarantine required from Nov 1st. 

As usual, no clarity or details - not sure if this is just for dual vaxxed arrivals or if CoE application is still required (I’d assume such).

So if that is true and there still is quarantine after 1st Nov, can we then say he is a liar? and  anyone booking a flight after 1st Nov, can be sure they won't be quarantined on arrival in Thailand?

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm.... Read the comment above yours !!!...  Nov looks good (unless you are not vaccinated). 

Prime Minister has announced that he’s instructed the CCSA and MoPH to urgently consider within this week to allow, as of 1st November, international visitors to enter Thailand without any requirement for quarantine if they are fully vaccinated and arrive by air from low-risk countries.

i.e. there is a strong probability there will be no Quarantine for those vaccinated arrivals from ‘key’ countries from Nov 1st. 

--------

Regarding the Sandbox success: It was a success, it provided critical data of risk to Thailand of incoming international vaccinated arrivals. 

The information provided from the Sandbox has offered Thailand confidence that vaccinated arrivals from overseas present little risk. Hence the steps now being taken to open up. 

But as you said an hour before that it is all still a bit vague. 

19 hours ago, jasonsamui55 said:

I'll be back when Prayut sends his personal lear jet to pick me up, for free, of course, along with 6  dancing girls to accompany me across the seas.

in all seriousness, not until its 2019 rules again, and not one iota less.

Me too but hoping to get there for the MotoGP in Sept/Oct next year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"I wish not be charged an additional 500b per entry, because I am not a tourist"

That's some wish. ????????

I am curious about this 500, will it apply to Malaysians coming over for their short breaks, shopping r&r, etc. Or will they get some neighbouring state status.? 

• Thanks 1

Coming back to Thailand - hopefully NEVER!

Why Not?

Because in order to be able to come back I'd first have to leave and return to the UK and there is absolutely NO WAY I ever want to return to high taxes, a ruling woke generation of hippy misfits feeling offended at everything, police and cctv cameras in abundance - I even had a Gatso stuck in the verge outside my house. Some outstanding Citizens lobbed a burning tyre over it one night. I was so happy at that I waited over half an hour before calling the fire-brigade who complained at my tardiness. Why I asked? No legal responsibility to protect your police mates income source, i only called you because the smoke started to come into the house. 

We sold up or gave away or dumped pretty much everything, bought our own shipping container and loaded in a couple of boats and outboards, 5 bikes, all the white goods and kitchen stuff, the dining suite - wrought iron and tempered glass table and wrought iron chairs Thailand's multi-legged beasties cannot chomp on, and the entire contents of the workshop including spare metal materials and all the machines. Beds etc we could buy here!

Booked vaccinations and certificates for the dog, booked air-tickets (what Royal Thai charged for the dog was more than both of us! So glad they went bust almost - thieves!) and arranged a crane truck to lift and load the over-weight container to head for the port the day prior to flying. We slept on the floor in sleeping bags we stuffed in the wheelie bin next day. Drove in our own car with the new vowner to the airport and happily escaped the UK.

I love Thailand, the lack or law enforcement for minor infringements you get from PC Shiny Buttons in the UK doesn't exist here unless you do something corrupt police can make money from - we got stopped 3 expensive times in the early days, twice due to ignorance, one very expensive one due to an outright corrupt scam by a group of uniformed brigands one night on the Phitsanulok Highway who announced they were taking our driver away for drug offences (urine test no. 2 with chemical in a pot for the 2nd test suddenly became positive after they saw the foreigner asleep in the back seat of the van and as the driver was wife's relative paid 20,000 to make it all go away. Next time I know what to do - insist on a proper hospital test by independant doctors!

But otherwise we got a good life, living was cheap - getting more expensive now, lovely home - not a bloody condo - detached house, 4 big dogs keep the ungodly away unless they want to donate arms and legs for dog's dinners, couple of cars and a bike and no more snow, ice, officious council wallahs and their pernicious taxes and no more rat race.

What do I miss - not a lot, driving in the Surrey Hills or on back roads of Snowdonia or taking the boat to sea or a 2 week cruise perhaps, otherwise very little apart from my kids cannot hop on a cheap flight and come stay due to covid and government venality. 

So come back to Thailand?  I pray that necessity will never occur! My lovely young wife and I are happy here.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jasonsamui55 said:

I'll be back when Prayut sends his personal lear jet to pick me up, for free, of course, along with 6  dancing girls to accompany me across the seas.

in all seriousness, not until its 2019 rules again, and not one iota less.

Not much space for dancing in a Learjet

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

So if that is true and there still is quarantine after 1st Nov, can we then say he is a liar? and  anyone booking a flight after 1st Nov, can be sure they won't be quarantined on arrival in Thailand?

Only if from 10, or so, low risk countries. Some which have not been named yet. But figures China is already named.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If Emirates do pay for the PCR tests, it will probably be added to the cost of the fare, and good on them, why can't other airlines do the same?

In fact, why do the airlines not just add everything to the cost of the fares and save people a lot of hassle.

In saying that, it still does not excuse certain greedy people for using the pandemic for getting rich.

Emirates does not pay for the PCR test.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Process: 

1)    Log onto the following Website  https://coethailand.mfa.go.th

2)    First Page: 

-       Country you are flying from: i.e. UK / France etc

-       Embassy Selection – Select your local Embassy in the country from which you are applying (i.e. London / Paris)

-       Types of Permitted Persons: 3 Spouse (If using marriage)

-       Entering – Sandbox.

-       Which Sandbox – Phuket (if entering Phuket Sandbox)

Thanks, absolutely great recap. You should get a senior Thai government job ????

One question, what is a "local" embassy? I'm in Thailand on my Australian passport but currently in EU, is the Thai embassy in Canberra my "local" embassy,  or an embassy in some of the countries in EU I happen to be at some time? My retirement extension and reentry permit are stamped in my Aussie passport.

Left Samui end of July,  coming back on my return leg to the Phuket Sandbox early next month.

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

For me, the main obstacle is the COE and the time limit of 72 hours. As a vaxxed European I would not mind to do another test at arrival in BKK and to be granted to fly to a domestic destination on the same day. If necessary I would accept a 5 day home quarantine controlled by Morchana.

15 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Is that a home test PCR?  If so, please note, some airlines, notably KLM, don't accept them.  Their Travedoc page doesn't say that - only that the test must be an RT-PCR but I was told verbally by staff at their healthcare centre in Amsterdam and by check-in staff at Manchester.  I haven't seen a home test kit result but provided it doesn't state that the swab was taken at home, I don't see how they'd know.

There are 2 types of home test kits, PCR and Lateral flow.

With a PCR home test the swab is sent a laboratory and you get a proper certificate, on mine the source was stated Np/Op Swab, which means Nose/Throat sample. That certificate was a great deal more comprehensive than my pre departure, that was done at a test centre but the certificate very brief, no source indicated.

At the end of the day only one line counts

With a Lateral Flow home test you take the swab, put the swab in liquid and then a couple of drops of the liquid on a test strip and within 15 minutes you will have a solid line indicating if positive or negative. This type of test is unacceptable for travel, as are NHS test results.

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Emirates does not pay for the PCR test.

Agreed, but they do provide insurance.

The flight out of Heathrow is about 14.20 and there are a couple of companies doing 3 hour tests at LHR, mine was about an hour and a half, so if done early doors and did happen to be positive, the insurance will have already kicked in.

• Like 1