Extending 60 day Tourist Visa to 90 days - return flight date for initial application?

I wish to travel in December and stay at my house in Pattaya for 90 days. The E-Visa application say to apply for a 60 day (maximum) Tourist visa and then extend by 30 days when in Thailand at Immigration office. To apply for the E-Visa, I have to provide airline ticket details - proof of a returning ticket.

My question is, if I book a return flight for 90 days hence, will I be granted a 60 day visa? - or will I have to book a ticket with a return date 60 days hence, then pay again and change my return ticket date when I'm in Thailand?

It's an issue because I will be with my Thai wife and we will need to be on the same plane home - so I'll have two flights to rebook!  ????

Thanks for the quick reply. I've always travelled as a tourist, but never stayed longer than 60 days, otherwise I'd have tackled this issue before. What does getting a non-O entail, compared to the fairly basic requirements for a tourist - is it easy enough to do? 

In other words, what docs / proofs etc are required. I'm a legit working guy, with no criminal record, just about to retire, so have the time on my hands to go for longer than usual. ????

Me and my husband (both Italian) have the same question.

We wish to travel in January and stay for 90 days as tourists .

My question is, if I book a return flight for 90 days,  will we be granted a 60 day visa? - or will we have to book a ticket with a return date 60 days, then pay again and change the return ticket date once in Thailand?

1 hour ago, lyskamm said:

My question is, if I book a return flight for 90 days,  will we be granted a 60 day visa? - or will we have to book a ticket with a return date 60 days, then pay again and change the return ticket date once in Thailand?

It depends upon the embassy you apply at. Many will reject it if you do not have a return or onward ticket.

You could search for onward ticket and get a temporary one for about $12 to use for the visa application to show a ticket out within 30 days to anywhere.

5 hours ago, lyskamm said:

To you and the OP. I have been in the same situation early this year, but applying from Portugal. The local embassy told me no problem with a 90 days return booking and applying for a 60-days TR visa. I did not have any problem extending once in Thailand.

Now, Thailand being what it is, the interpretation may very well vary from embassy to embassy, so best is to ask your local embassy directly.

There is another issue here, actually, it's with the airline you plan to fly on the out journey. When booking, they may well ask you proof of an exit trip out of Thailand after the 60 days (since that's the visa). I think it will always be wise to have a booking out of Thailand, let's say a throw-away booking that you can cancel and hopefully get reimbursed.

I have been asked at least twice about such a booking out of Thailand in the past, and fortunately I could show proof. Otherwise, the airline would not let me check in on the flight out.

The irony is that with all the fuss that Emirates made when I checked in early this year to fly from Europe to BKK, they did not have any issue with my return flights being 90 days while holding a 60-days visa! They gave me trouble for 1 1/2 hour for other reasons and probably forgot about the 60 / 90 days issue!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

I have been asked at least twice about such a booking out of Thailand in the past, and fortunately I could show proof. Otherwise, the airline would not let me check in on the flight out

The airline asked for this even though you had a visa? 

Have only ever heard of that requirement for travel visa exempt. 

33 minutes ago, gejohesch said:

To you and the OP. I have been in the same situation early this year, but applying from Portugal. The local embassy told me no problem with a 90 days return booking and applying for a 60-days TR visa. I did not have any problem extending once in Thailand.

Now, Thailand being what it is, the interpretation may very well vary from embassy to embassy, so best is to ask your local embassy directly.

There is another issue here, actually, it's with the airline you plan to fly on the out journey. When booking, they may well ask you proof of an exit trip out of Thailand after the 60 days (since that's the visa). I think it will always be wise to have a booking out of Thailand, let's say a throw-away booking that you can cancel and hopefully get reimbursed.

I have been asked at least twice about such a booking out of Thailand in the past, and fortunately I could show proof. Otherwise, the airline would not let me check in on the flight out.

The irony is that with all the fuss that Emirates made when I checked in early this year to fly from Europe to BKK, they did not have any issue with my return flights being 90 days while holding a 60-days visa! They gave me trouble for 1 1/2 hour for other reasons and probably forgot about the 60 / 90 days issue!

One could book direct with an airline. Qatar for example on there app. Free cancellation of return flight they convert into a credit into your account with a 10% uplift. Then rebook a 90 day flight home.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The airline asked for this even though you had a visa? 

Have only ever heard of that requirement for travel visa exempt. 

Ah, OK, that's a good point, I forgot that those times I was going to Thailand on the basis of visa exemption. Whether that requirement from an airline applies if a visa has been granted, I don't know. Apologies for the possible confusion here.

3 hours ago, Martin Brit said:

One could book direct with an airline. Qatar for example on there app. Free cancellation of return flight they convert into a credit into your account with a 10% uplift. Then rebook a 90 day flight home.

Yes. Or just make sure the booking includes the flexibility to change the return date, so no need to cancel at all.

8 hours ago, gejohesch said:

Whether that requirement from an airline applies if a visa has been granted,

No worries. 

Yes onward ticket is not required  by airline for flight into Thailand if you have a visa or reentry permit. 

On 10/14/2021 at 9:46 AM, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon the embassy you apply at. Many will reject it if you do not have a return or onward ticket.

You could search for onward ticket and get a temporary one for about $12 to use for the visa application to show a ticket out within 30 days to anywhere.

If the embassy approves, do all airlines approve as well ?

24 minutes ago, lyskamm said:

If the embassy approves, do all airlines approve as well ?

The rules for entry to Thailand do not require a ticket out of the country if you have valid visa for entry. If denied boarding you can ask for a supervisor or they can check the rules for entry to here.

On 10/14/2021 at 2:29 PM, gejohesch said:

Which would be a good option for such a throw away ticket??

3 hours ago, lyskamm said:

Which would be a good option for such a throw away ticket??

Any one-way trip in SEA would do, e.g. Bangkok to KL, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Singapore etc. There are chances to get good deals with carriers such as Air Asia. Alternatively, use a booking engine that includes a cancellation + reimbursement option.

18 hours ago, gejohesch said:

Any one-way trip in SEA would do, e.g. Bangkok to KL, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Singapore etc. There are chances to get good deals with carriers such as Air Asia. Alternatively, use a booking engine that includes a cancellation + reimbursement option.

So one-way would be enough and even though without visa stamp for the countries you mentioned?

3 hours ago, lyskamm said:

So one-way would be enough and even though without visa stamp for the countries you mentioned?

One-way is indeed OK.

Bear in mind, what the airline that you are checking in to get to Thailand is concerned about is that you will be refused entry at the immigration desk in Thailand, which would oblige the airline to fly you back at its own cost. The airline will possibly not think of another visa requirement (for the next destination) if you have a one-way ticket out of Thailand. But in my own case I would not have needed one anyway, so I cannot be entirely certain. Try destinations that will not require a visa in your situation. Malaysia or Singapore for example are quite easy for several passports.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:25 AM, lyskamm said:

Thai Embassy UK. Submitted my visa application for 90 days late Saturday and approved by late Monday night remarkable turnaround. Enclosed airline ticket anticipating return in 90 days and also return date on my on line application 90 days hence. Visa approved for 60 days with of course the option to extend for a further 30 days at the discretion of the immigration officer. My guess is that showing the return ticket and sufficient funds would make that a formality.