TAT boss: quarantine remains for 1 day to test all visitors, no going back to old tourism pub scenes

webfact

Only need to do a little market research and study the plan at Las Vegas to convert to a family friendly destination. Complete failure and quietly went away after several years.

"Quality tourists", beautiful beaches, fancy hotels, rejuvenated environmental assets and then after  10 pm, off to the famous TH nightlife. All functioning in perfect harmony. Exotic and erotic can hold hands and create an attractive destination.

Why am I even bothering to make this post because everybody knows the nightlife will continue to occupy the evenings in TH. 

• Like 2

Taken this guy's statement to the extreme, and not really knowing the definition of high quality... Put all the 3 star hotels out of business?  All the Apex hotels, the Ice Inn etc..?  How about all the guest houses above bars and restaurants all over some cities such as Pattaya?  I can imagine Thailand spending millions of baht on advertising, pushing all the new shiny hotels.  Good for them. Put that in the spotlight if they want.  I would have no problem if they down-played pattaya or dozens of other less developed cities or areas.  But many tourists go and prefer things like that. 

I and many have zero interest to fly half way around the world, just to pay the same or more as I can in my home country!  To me, that is not traveling to a country.  Some nice hotel with some facilities and a pool is great, bu upping to Dusit or whatever fancy place, well, to each their own. 

Gosh, I live iun Florida and I have tons of clean beach choices to swim in.   I am in Melbourne, FL right now and the water at Paradise beach was fantastic the other day.  Water was clean, warm, free car parking.  Stores nearby to walk over to pick up stuff if needed.  Had a great Italian sandwich with sausage and peppers from the little food truck right at the beach entrance.  Sat in the shade at a picknick bench table in my bathing suit, a nice sea breeze and enjoyed the sandwich.  Oh and girls actuall go to the beach, unlike Thailand where you typically might see some swimming, but with body length shirts on! 

I used to swim at Jomtien before, and even did Wong Amat once.  But don't trust either for over 12 years now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

I and I am sure many object to the implication of not being a "Higher Quality" tourist.  Sure I go to pubs and I go to a gogo now and then.  But if that Puritan sounding TAT guy equates that or assumes that most tourists only go to packed in bars and gogos he is somistaken.  Sure some meetups happen, tourists meet up with fellow expats or countrymen for a night out for some drinking.  But there is so much more to visiting or living in Thailand as many expats and visitors can testify to.  I have been to Thailand 15 times.  I am a semi-retired engineer.  I have no criminal background. I do no drugs or anything illegal.  I am well funded for retirement.  I am not a cheap charlie. After my first trip to Thailand and Pattaya in 2004, I always planned to semi retire there for at least 6 months of each year.  I was waiting for COVID policies to become more reasonable before taking at least my next 90 day vacation, (SETV 60 day + 30 Day extension).  Now, the heck with it.  I will take this upcoming Engineering contract for the next 10 months or so and then see what Thailand is doing at that point

Flip your desk calander to Oct' 2022, then change some points, in minor ways,  in your post.

Done.

36 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Rarely if ever have read about people being happy with their bar experience

You could say that about pretty much any topic on this forum, though....

As for me, I've always had a great time at bars, but I don't generally feel the need to share that information here (not to mention I signed up to this site when bars were closed anyway!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yes, and once you go through all this nonsense there's a very good chance you will catch COVID just like anyone else already here if you mingle with the locals who are actively hiding their infections unless they need to go to hospital or get caught up in an active contact trace investigation.

If that happens then be prepared for a world of restriction, quarantine and possibly incarceration if you don't want to stump up their special fees for 'hospitel' quarantine.

You hit the nail on the head . Thai government are taking a massive gamble , same as poker " all in " bet , so what could possibly go wrong ? Travelling to Thailand for a holiday and the need to comply with ever changing rules is both confusing and risky .  Risky why ?  The reporting of covid stats is not convincing and I choose my words carefully . Even if you are double jabbed with a good vaccine you will come into contact with  many unvaccinated people and those that have been jabbed will mostly have received a weak vaccine . Also , coming into very close contact ( wink wink ) will certainly test your vaccination . This is brewing up for the perfect storm from which there will be no return . It seems that many countries are more concerned with their economies rather than their nations health .

I am intrigued as to how the government intend to halt the old tourism bar scene , as I think that could take a generation to stop and at the same time they will have to give a good standard of education to enable young people to secure a worthwhile career away from the bar scene . 

• Like 1

Could this be the huge watershed moment to purify Thailand of all nightlife evils?  ...... After all, they are only trying to demolish a pillar of society that was established in the days of R&R during the Vietnam war and rooted deeply ever since. Nothing to fear here. Just self inflicted negative PR and confusion again .... as usual.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

before we condemn it let's wait and see what it looks like.

They say it would just be an app to confirm vaccination, but will it be only that? How about covid insurance? and if there are issues , how are they resolved? Not easy to call the web. LOL. also how about reservations for the one day stay?  Registering PCR test before you come so that if inadequate you don't need to go back, or do What? 

Say good by to the old confusion,Say  Hello to  new confusion.

All this tbc ????

5 hours ago, fusion58 said:

Great! I’m currently waiting for approval on my COE application. Flight arrives on November 12. Did I just waste several days of my time?

Now I know why all the boarded up Bars have for sale/rent signs on them.

This will come as a shock to all the bar owners and there employees, Thailand new slogan-- No going Back, this will mean more beech chairs, speed boats, Chinese guided tours, and a share price reduction for Leo and Chiang.

By the end of next year after this idea has gone properly south, then like so much else, it will be quietly swept under the carpet and forgotten with a stealth u-turn when no-one is looking. Unless, of course, they are not telling everyone the truth and the regime just wants Chinese sheep as tourists and Indian weddings... which could be true, as a wider agenda these days seems to be about getting rid of as many westerners as possible, and has been so over the last 5 years.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Even at the best of times their lunatic ideas of turning places like Pattaya into the family friendly resort have failed inevitably. To try and to pull the same stunt at the time of the biggest crisis in the history of the world tourism… send a psychiatrist to the TAT premises.

They cleaned up Singapore, did a very good job, infrastructure and cleanliness the place immaculate, but the bars were still around some in hotels, nice discos ect and the girls were just as friendly and never disappeared, how can you kill the oldest profession in the world? covid??

3 scenarios....

1) I'm going to swing by Nana today to see if the bulldozers have arrived to raze the place and put up another unnecessary, overpriced condo or Central World 31.

2) Scare the farang agogo owners into selling their venues/name on the cheap, then announce business as usual

3) Just go straight to business as usual but let the TAT boss have his 15 seconds of 'face'

If I were to assign odds to 1 through 3, it would be 0%, 0%, 100%.

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Thailand is like a grubby restaurant selling overpriced burgers and beers while waiting for the Caviar and Champagne set to turn up.

Totally delusional. They have no idea how the world views them and why people used to come here.

Just selling overpriced burgers at the moment!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Rarely if ever have read about people being happy with their bar experience.

I've always had a great time in Thai bars, the girls were always a lot of fun.

There were always a few fat girls, but I never had a problem finding a slim one to sit with me.

Never a of ice for the beer.

Sure, they will up your bill if you get too drunk to notice, pay as you go sorts that.

Back to the OP,

I wouldn't come here on holiday with the new rules.

Fly all the way here with the risk of you and your family being locked up, no way!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

As always, they just spout off and fantasize about whatever silliness that projectile vomits out their stupidity holes. When curfew lifted and bars opened...We The People...the consumers...with the money...are gonna make up for almost 2 years of lost time.

It AIN'T gonna be "family friendly"! ????

Unless you define "family" as a young mom and her two twin daughters!  "Twins Basil, twins!"

• Haha 1