TAT boss: quarantine remains for 1 day to test all visitors, no going back to old tourism pub scenes

webfact

Never really understood these Puritans and why they are so keen to inflict their narrow view onto others. In a strange way I am ok with it make Thailand as dismal and boring as possible make Nightlife entertainment and alcohol illegal, like it presently is. No problem I will leave and gladly give my place to one of the quality tourists of which you speak. Please go through with all your plans and make my decision easy.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Never been in Singapore then? Singapore has a vibrant nightlife that keep going till late in the night and morning. If you in for seedy stuffs, visit the 4 floors of whores in Orchard Road. 

I've heard about the 4 floors of whores in that tower on Orchard Road, I wonder how active/bustling it is post COVID-19. Any insights?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RachaRob said:

Family Friendly? So they want to rip off whole families now?

And  who with a Family, and being of sound mind , would take there children to  Country where they are likely to contract Covid, be mauled by a pack of Dogs, cannot swim in the Ocean due to pollution, have no meaningful places to release there energy Etc

If I were a parent, I would certainly not be coming to Thailand, to see my Children shackled by all the things they cannot do.

They cannot spend all day, every Day at a Waterpark.

1 hour ago, drenddy said:

If I remember correctly, the Azores did the same last year, test on arrival and quarantine until result, but at their expenses, not tourists?

Anyways, I expect thais live up to their reputation and we shall see ASQ 1 night starting from 10000 THB...That would be nice.

And...I would like to ask TAT to stop dreaming about so called high quality tourism.Never gonna happend, because Thailand is a 3rd world country, endemic corruption, double pricing.

They don't have the stamina for being a high quality destination.

I was going to say the same in a post I did to this topic but reframed,  what you say is so true!!!

14 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

Another unrealistic Thai person in a place of authority that has tunnel vision and no idea what the attraction Thailand is to foreigners. The mixture of upmarket & budget hotels, restaurants and bars sort of caters to a wide cross section of tourists so take out the bars and nightlife and you will loose the vibe that people often come here for. Tourists generally don't come to Thailand for high end shopping sprees, they come for fun and whilst I rarely partake in the bar scene I see these venues as critical for Thai tourism now and in the future. This sector also employs many Thai staff and yes often supports working girls etc etc. Virtually every tourist orientated country I have visited has a bar scene but few as fun as Thailand. 

I should have added as fun as Thailand used to be LOL

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Enzian said:

The puritans in government see the pandemic as a once in a lifetime opportunity to transform their shame about the "lower orders" into an image of glowing virtue. But reality will intervene, as it always eventually does.

If they think that people are gonna spend the money to look at 5000 temples then these people are living in cloud cuckoo land .. It’s famous for its nightlife with 5% going to see the unclean beaches

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Pretty much what I have been saying all along, that this COVID outbreak will be used to rid the country of its sex-tourism and entertainment business and reputation.

As you say though, without a plan b, it won't work.

Exactly.  Covid has been the excuse they wanted, not a valid reason.

He can say or dream what he wants . If Thailand gets visitors back , and there will be some day , then the public will decide . Again demand and supply ... they not going to close all bars , even if they close all nighttime venues , there will be places where you can drink and enjoy some music and company will be there . It is a "normal" activity in Thailand , and selling for money is very very widespread and accepted among the society .

Unless they keep all bars and massage and karaokes closed , there will be drinking , there will be some kind of paid entertainment and there will be a "nightlife" like before , even if it might be in earlier hours .

This might not be right now , but tourists are wanted , the money is wanted , and supply is plenty of all kinds ( alcohol , cheap hotels , all kinds of people ... you name it ).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Thai tourism:

Tombstone Rip Graveyard Cemetery PNG | Picpng

They have been flogging this dead buffaloe for decades, thinking their puritanical view of what they think things should be…

can be turned into a viable National Business Model that will paper over the less puritanical business model that caused profits to suport the populace. 

They have gotten manufacturing and agriculture-business to be profitable, but not enough to adequately to pay for a population mostly living on the edge. And often shooting their own feet in agriculture sector.

The ‘entertainment sector’ had for decades, post Vietnam war, taken up most of the slack and made it the fun place to visit whether wild social drinkers or the smaller “sexpat” sector. And remember, the local sex industry dwarfs the foreign ‘entertainment’ numbers maybe 80% to 20%.

But that always rankled the puritanical HiSo wives, and so their husbands paid lip service to ‘cleaning up the National act’ by spouting public announcements of a “more family friendly tourist market”.
Before sodding of to the Mia Noi’s or ‘private members clubs’.

But as a business model ‘family friendly tourists’ will spring the country back to life as Disneyland Happy Families Asia.

Edited by animatic
Clarity & orthography

When you are reading all this contradicting government "orders", then you unvoluntarily think about the future of Thailand.

I - i..e. - cannot refuse the idea: what would happen, if Thailand is forced into a war?

My ideas:

• although ruled by a military "leader", he wouldn't know how to react. Because no plan about it.
  • the leader would announce an order, shut up all you minions. This is a military problem which can only resolved by us. But it will take some time.
  • the leader will order all available submarines into the Mekong to defend the capital and the channels near to his house.
  • the leader will call ASEAN to suppoert him, because some important generals are just not at home, but shopping with their family in Peking, Mumbay , Ney York or Paris. It will take some time to return at home. But he urgently needs them. He has already ordered a military first class plane for their returning.
  • the leader will ask the parliament to take over the responsability (until the end of the war).
  • the leader will promise another election - after the war.

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

The 1 day quarantine... where will the swab be taken? At the airport on arrival or at the ASQ hotel when traveler arrives at the hotel?

Hopefully at the airport on arrival so that analysis of the swab can start promptly.

When I arrived last month in Phuket, directly at the airport.

There would be no way every ASQ hotel would be manned by hospital staff for tests.

Three hours later I got my result at my hotel and was free to roam Phuket.

Basically just arrived at hotel showered, unwinded with a welcome gin and tonic and then I was set free.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I suppose they'll also be shutting down all the Thai venues, the soapy massages, the karaoke bars, the "pretties" who can be hired for events (and wind up drugged to death)? The TAT sure has their work cut out for them. In shifting their tourism model, they'll also have to somehow shift a deeply ingrained part of their culture.

Since these places have been closed we have noticed that the number of parties at the luxury houses around here have increased drastically. Sometimes 3 or 4 days a week.  We often see a car with 4 or 5 pretties pull up and an hour or so later the Mercedes, BMW, Porches, Audis pull up. They then party all night and some leave at all hours of the night (we can hear the shrill voices of the young girls) with no respect for the curfew. 

• Like 2

CCSA in its daily briefing just said there will be no quarantine and the list of countries is decided but will be revealed next week. Hopefully they've not listened to this idiot.

"CCSA finalizing List of origin countries entering and not requiring quarantine. Now it's in the required internal process, and should be released sometime mid-week next week. There will be alot more than 10 countries included in the list."

Edited by Bkk Brian

He is the tourism minister and doesn't have the power to ban anything. Just moving his Jaws to sound important. Bar owners especially thai will do what they want however full moon parties are over but who cares. I'm hoping gogo bars make a comeback but I doubt this year 

• Like 2