Influential musician Bruce Gaston passes away at the age of 74

webfact

Bruce-Gaston-music-Thailand.jpg

Photo courtesy of Bruce Gaston Facebook page.

Musicians all over Thailand are today mourning the passing of Bruce Gaston, the first man to successfully blend traditional Thai sounds with contemporary Western melodies.

Many foreigners fascinated by Thai culture decide to live in Thailand, and Gaston was no exception. But he is the only foreigner to have received the Silpathorn Award, an honor established in 2004 by the Ministry of Culture to recognize Thai contemporary artists who have made notable contributions to Thai arts and culture. Gaston received the award in 2009 in the category of music.

Gaston moved to Thailand at the age of 22. He is best known as a pioneer in blending Western electronic music and the Thai classical Piphat band through Fong Nam (literally sponge), an orchestral band he co-founded with Boonyong Ketkong.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/influential-musician-bruce-gaston-passes-away-at-the-age-of-74/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kiwithl said:

King 9 may have blended Thai and western music. Possibly before this bloke.

Or did the king only play western jazz?

Cant  discuss  it.....oh wait we  can heap  more  praise, all is  well

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

2 hours ago, Kiwithl said:

King 9 may have blended Thai and western music. Possibly before this bloke.

Or did the king only play western jazz?

Would think more interested in jazz as he was foreign schooled i believe.

The saxophone pub at victory monument has many photos of his jazz playing days.

Also saw an exhibition, in the pavillion, at the King Rama 9 park, which had photos of his musical interests.

King Rama 9 park is how i spend a Sunday afternoon when in Bangkok. Highly recommended and hardly another farang there.

On 10/18/2021 at 7:41 AM, khunjeff said:

I only knew him from seeing the fabulous musical revues he produced at the Tawan Daeng German Brewery in Bangkok, but Thai friends who went to Chula deeply respected him as a well-known professor and performer. He wasn't widely known internationally, but was quite famous in Thailand for decades.

I know him from Tawan Daeng as well but he was also a great help when we put on the Koh Samui Blues Festival many years ago. A very talented musician and performer. A sad loss.