Retirement Extension Cancelled- What options

34 minutes ago, fangless said:

Sorry. bad wording on my part.  It should say extension renewal not approved/may not be approved as money in the bank dipped below the minimum requirement!

Please note this is a hypothetical question as I said in my OP; "lets say you dipped below the 800000/400000 requirement during the year what are your legit options".  I am looking at contingency planning options, nothing else!

Depends how long and by how much the funds 'dipped below' the required. 

One current thread someone realized the error on same day it was below (accidentally withdrew few thousand) however replaced it same day. Popular answer suggesting to check with immigration.

If it was a longer and clearly had not met the financial requirements then the options mentioned in thread of agent OR exit country and return OR apply for covid extension and hope that border situation changes by say Jan next year. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm.... then I didn't read it wrong.  

The funds do not have to remain "in the bank" during the whole year.  Just 3 months on your initial application for visa, or 2 months prior to extending your visa.  After approved / extended, then use as you see fit, just have to top up again 2 months prior, and suppose to show coming from out of country.

I've never done that, show coming from out of country when going the 'lump sum' route.   Monthly direct deposit, yes, must show / document money trail of transfer from abroad to Thai bank.  Bank give a statement, quite a few pages long, that tracks to transfer, each transfer, till arriving to Thai bank.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, fangless said:

Can you restart the retirement process in country after getting a 60 day extension assuming the financial aspects can be sorted?

The 60 day covid extension cannot 'fix' the issue with financial requirements for previous 12 months if they were not met.

The covid extension would buy time in hope that borders open and a border bounce possible.

Reenter visa exempt and obtain new non O at immigration.

Entry to Thailand for fully vaccinated folk becoming less difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2021 at 2:35 PM, ubonjoe said:

If you do not meet the requirements for the year after you apply for a extension based upon retirement you application for a new one will not be accepted and you might get 7 days to leave the country after paying 1900 baht for a extension.

It was never necessary to have 800,000 all year to extend when I was doing it, just for the 3 months prior to application. Some of the posts on here imply it is necessary all year. Is that true?

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It was never necessary to have 800,000 all year to extend when I was doing it, just for the 3 months prior to application. Some of the posts on here imply it is necessary all year. Is that true?

Posted many times.

800k two months PRIOR to day of application.

Then 800k maintained 3 months POST application. 

Then not less than 400k and back up to 800k two months prior to following application. 

Was changed from only 800k for 3 months prior some time ago. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Posted many times.

Then not less than 400k and back up to 800k two months prior to following application. 

Posted many times.

end quote

Well excuse me for not bothering to read every post of every thread on this subforum.

:coffee1:

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

They often have to get such an extension from a province you do not live in, so that makes it not legit, even if they do it's still corruption

So not legit and corrupt but Legal ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Not legal.

Sorry but if the Chief I/O has the authority to basically interpret the rules as he sees fit even to the point of disregarding the applicants financials as has been posted by many people previously how is it "Illegal" ? I can understand that you may consider it rule bending / bypassing and morally wrong but surly not illegal    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Posted many times.

So what happens if you accidentally or deliberately dip below the 400K amount?.... 

Extension immediately void and you are on overstay from the date you went below, despite maybe making up the balance later... 

There's a long post on an FB Thai immigration group about this....... 

5 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

So what happens if you accidentally or deliberately dip below the 400K amount?.... 

Extension immediately void and you are on overstay from the date you went below, despite maybe making up the balance later... 

Im sure there have been examples where somebody using money in bank for retirement extension and has plans of only staying one year or less and has withdrawn the 800k.

I have not read one report of anyone where not maintaining the financial requirements has led to being on overstay. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

your current extension is not void.

However as you do not have the required balance in your account during the year prior to your application for an extension most offices will refuse your extension as the year balances are a requirement for issuing an extension.

Some IOs will be slightly flexible if the drop is slight and short, you are polite and you may need to contribute to the staff tea fund. This flexibility is extremely variable depending on the office and many other factors and cannot be depended upon.

always remember, TIT, YMMV someone else’s experience is often different from yours and is only ever a general guide.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Im sure there have been examples where somebody using money in bank for retirement extension and has plans of only staying one year or less and has withdrawn the 800k.

I have not read one report of anyone where not maintaining the financial requirements has led to being on overstay. 

Wouldn't immigration check if you didn't maintain the 400K balance by examining your bank books/statements come next extension renewal time.... 

It shouldn't happen, the dipping below your amounts, but folk here do strange stuff with their dosh, how many Wise threads ongoing just now...... 

20 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Wouldn't immigration check if you didn't maintain the 400K balance by examining your bank books/statements come next extension renewal time.... 

I'm sure someone related on here that they went below the limits, for example, 4 months after being issued their extension.  At renewal they were told they were on 8 months overstay as the extension became void once they failed to meet the criteria.

Edited by treetops

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Not only has it been posted many times here in many threads. It’s in the pinned topic

and Thai immigration have it posted.

if you chose not to use any of the many resources available and ask about a change that is over 2 years old then why should you be excused?

Who put you in charge? Jai yen, jai yen.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The rules are being read as the balances are required for an application to be accepted.

They are not specifically worded in the police order and it doesn’t say that they apply to a current extension. So the reasonable (I know that reason is a concept that often seems lacking in Thai bureaucracy ???? ) attitude by all IO’s is that it is the year up to the application that has to have the correct money. The only exception to this was the very few offices that asked (are asking) for proof of balance 3 months after the extension has been granted. I do not know if any offices are still asking for that and if you don’t provide proof what, if anything, is the consequence.

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

On  my last year in LOS I did indeed withdraw funds to travel on a holiday to the UK, Before I left I transferred the balance to home country, but I was still in the country without any money in the bank for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoeiI said:

Sorry but if the Chief I/O has the authority to basically interpret the rules as he sees fit even to the point of disregarding the applicants financials as has been posted by many people previously how is it "Illegal" ? I can understand that you may consider it rule bending / bypassing and morally wrong but surly not illegal    

it's corruption, though apparently rarely investigated / prosecuted. If memory serves correctly there have been cases where deportation has occurred having used agents for unlawful purposes. Urban Joe can you recall any cases with links?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Posted many times.

I do, however recall reports on here of a number of rogue offices still insisting on 3 months seasoning of 800k prior to application date after the change to 2 months was made. Don't know whether this is still an issue in the case of small provincial offices in particular. But seems unlikely to be one in the OP's case, though, since his office is presumably Chiang Mai.

Edited by OJAS

1 hour ago, LoeiI said:

So not legit and corrupt but Legal ?

Legal, in Thailand is a far less definitive than in the west. Also what was legal yesterday may be illegal tomorrow. 
Corrupt is also a slippery concept and really depends on attitudes that change.

In a western society it’s reasonably easy to say that something is corrupt, in Asia, not so much.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

On  my last year in LOS I did indeed withdraw funds to travel on a holiday to the UK, Before I left I transferred the balance to home country, but I was still in the country without any money in the bank for a while.

It would not come to light unless immigration were to investigate, and it would appear you did not try to renew based on these same (removed) funds as it was your last year.

Edited by treetops

1 minute ago, treetops said:

It would not come to light unless immigration were to investigate, and it would appear you did not try to renew based on these same (removed) funds as it was your last year.

It also supports the view that for the majority (all?) of offices now that the year balances are required for renewal.

20 hours ago, treetops said:

A Senior Officer can override the requirement so using an agent to gain access to this officer is just as legit, despite the mention of it raising the irrational anger of many here.  I suspect you knew that though and were just stirring the pot.

Much better than leaving the country.

An agent can make your life easier.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 3:52 PM, DrJack54 said:

@Lite Beer apart from the laugh emoji.....perhaps you could actually suggest something (type) to assist the OP.......

Didn't think so....

Emotions are available yet many use them without thinking . Often used  in a offensive way .

• Confused 1