Check your accounts: 10,000 victims lose money from many banks in a single day

webfact

34 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Interesting juxtaposition of info in the article you linked above...

This:

"adding that commercial banks regularly check their security systems to screen for suspicious transactions."

vs.

This:

"According to the “Drama-addict” Facebook page, as many as 40,000 bank customers may have been affected by what they suspect is the work of hackers."

From all the reports of bank fraud involving customers being mentioned here, it doesn't sound like the banks' supposed screening has been doing a very good job!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, smedly said:

Nationwide is highly secure - card reader

Wise - is a transfer company so no risk there as it doesn't carry a balance 

Bangkok Bank - ATM only

For Nationwide, I get an OTP on my phone via O2 SIM card

I have both GBP & THB balances in my Wise account.

I do online Bangkok Banking on both my PC & Phone.

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Is there not a certain limit? I notice smaller CC deductions are not flagged to me, I believe under 1000baht (Bangkok Bank). These sneaky multiple small deductions might well go unnoticed. 

I do weekly 400 Baht transaction (programmed in advance) and that always gets flagged on my KBank app.

26 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interesting juxtaposition of info in the article you linked above...

This:

"adding that commercial banks regularly check their security systems to screen for suspicious transactions."

vs.

This:

"According to the “Drama-addict” Facebook page, as many as 40,000 bank customers may have been affected by what they suspect is the work of hackers."

From all the reports of bank fraud involving customers being mentioned here, it doesn't sound like the banks' supposed screening has been doing a very good job!

One of my  friends in the Uk  does security works for the banks and he says you would  not  believe how bad their security actually is

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

One of my  friends in the Uk  does security works for the banks and he says you would  not  believe how bad their security actually is

I can believe it ... and they keep quiet about it too, nor pursue the miscreants.

Had a pal scammed, someone persuaded his phone supplier he wanted to transfer the number to another carrier... so they got all his OTPs. Serious money taken... 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I use my phone for nearly everything and have never had any issue. Welcome to the modern, cashless society. 

Yes, pleased it has not affected you and many others but also so sad for many others who have fallen victims of these and MANY  other scams and yes we can never fully trust the banks and all over the world from us taxpayers bailing them out a decade or so a go.

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I can believe it ... and they keep quiet about it too, nor pursue the miscreants.

Had a pal scammed, someone persuaded his phone supplier he wanted to transfer the number to another carrier... so they got all his OTPs. Serious money taken... 

best was their  pathetic  chip and pin they introduced years back, yeah going to stop credit  card fraud............huh! And  now they have the incredible noncontact payment  cards  that  just pay automatically for you in stores.....where  people  have been swindling you there too

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I agree with this - it is only recently I decided to get an ATM card after years of going to the branch to withdraw money in person, it is a debit card but is disabled for anything other than ATM use - too risky IMO and also if you do become a victim they don't make it easy to get your money back, I also get an sms when there is any activity on my account

You'd be buggered in the 'real' worlds. When i went back to UK for both jabs hardly anyone uses 'cash'.

It's all 'tap to pay'.

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

How do you do your 'banking', go to the local branch every time you want to do something?

It was only 10 years ago that Bangkok Bank wouldn't transfer my rent monthly because the receiving bank was Thanachart Bank rather than BBL. I used to take 2 month's rent in cash and pay it into the account at Thanachart..

7 minutes ago, bkk_bwana said:

There is a very simple solution to this. A separate credit card, with a low credit limit, for online use only. Never use a debit card for buying things online and never link your bank account to PayPal, link it to that same low-credit line card.

Darn... when I first got a CC here, the bank gave me 2, a Visa and a MC. I only used one and let the other lapse... it could have done this job. Mind you, I use the one left for online purchases of Biz Class airfares, which needs a higher credit limit. 

Edited by jacko45k

5 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

When i looked at my bank statement, i could see that there were some very unusual withdrawals over a period of 8  days, mostly lost of small ones ranging from 300 THB up to three thousand THB

How were they coded... ie ATM withdrawals, Transfers or whatever?

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I use my phone for nearly everything and have never had any issue. Welcome to the modern, cashless society. 

Many do not welcome a cashless society as big brother can follow your movements in all conceivable ways .

Some that will not concern them, but i think the majority will have a concern .

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

It was only 10 years ago that Bangkok Bank wouldn't transfer my rent monthly because the receiving bank was Thanachart Bank rather than BBL. I used to take 2 month's rent in cash and pay it into the account at Thanachart..

Is there anything else you have noticed has changed in the past 10 years?  lol

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Here you go, this is from my printed statement. 

Statement.jpg

Thanks.. an EDC (Electronic Draft Capture) is like a card swipe machine use..... looks like a hacker or skimmer or a place you previously used the card. Small withdrawals to prevent SMS alerts. Interesting... I hope someone can explain and hint at how to ensure it cannot happen again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Also, I would like to add, the withdrawals started occurring around 24 hours after i withdrew some money from an ATM , so it's a possibility that there was a card skimming device on that ATM machine. So, something worth being aware of. 

Ten's of thousands have used that specific ATM in the last two weeks?  Much more likely a data base hack or inside leak.

When my Kasikorn & Krung Thai ATM cards expired, I didn't bother to renew them. I use the bank phone apps to do cardless withdrawals from the ATM when I need money. One obvious advantage is that it protects against card skimmers.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 2