Check your accounts: 10,000 victims lose money from many banks in a single day

webfact

45 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

This made me check all of my Thailand bank accounts.  Luckily, no problems.  But then I don't use my credit/debit cards for any online transactions.  And I definitely don't do banking on my phone.

Nor do I. I also don't use my card in physical shops. I have only ever used the card to take money out from the ATMs.

24 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

apparently a problem with users of PayPal

I have never used my Thai debit card for PayPal.

Despite the above my card was debited for 71 transactions of 34.15 Baht each.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sophon said:

Nor do I. I also don't use my card in physical shops. I have only ever used the card to take money out from the ATMs.

I have never used my Thai debit card for PayPal.

Oh, you got hit.  Have you ever given out your credit/debit card for any online transactions?

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No need to be sarky. Surely online banking on a PC or phone app is 'just as risky' if at all. 

Have you had any problems using a phone app?

it really depends on how secure you think your phone is or how safe all the apps are that you have installed - nothing is 100% safe and there are some very suspect apps in circulation - up to you really.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

it really depends on how secure you think your phone is or how safe all the apps are that you have installed - nothing is 100% safe and there are some very suspect apps in circulation - up to you really.

Nationwide, Wise in UK and Bangkok Bank here, with Express VPN on both PC & phone would seem pretty secure.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sophon said:

my debit card is disabled for any type of online or in shop transactions - if I wasn't able to do that I wouldn't have the card

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Nationwide, Wise in UK and Bangkok Bank here, with Express VPN on both PC & phone would seem pretty secure.

if you are happy then up to you 

Nationwide is highly secure - card reader

Wise - is a transfer company so no risk there as it doesn't carry a balance 

Bangkok Bank - ATM only

do you trust your VPN company - I see no need to use a VPN for the purpose you describe above

But like I said it is entirely up to you as long as you are happy and confident - plenty of reading on the net for this type of thing

6 minutes ago, bdenner said:

My KBank smart phone app informs me within seconds of any transactions (to or from) on my account. Pay my bills and numerous benefits = I definitely DO my banking on my phone!

Is there not a certain limit? I notice smaller CC deductions are not flagged to me, I believe under 1000baht (Bangkok Bank). These sneaky multiple small deductions might well go unnoticed. 

• Like 2

SCB notifies me every time I access my account online by an email, they also send me a confirmation withdrawal email when I transfer funds, so am not fussed, also keep under a million in the bank in case of fraud and I believe that is all the bank will cover if you have had a fraud or they go under.