Check your accounts: 10,000 victims lose money from many banks in a single day

webfact

4 minutes ago, smedly said:

and you missed my point entirely - I know exactly what a VPN is, I have qualifications in IT 

remember that a VPN is provided by a 3rd party so you need to be trusting them also, it adds another layer into the mix when it isn't necessarily needed 

I have qualifications in IT. 

Epic. 

My dad is a tv repairman. He has an awesome set of tools.

• Haha 2

When I opened my Bangkok Bank account I seem to recall they mentioning something about I could turn my ATM card on/off if I wanted via the app. Anyone know how to do it and would turning off the ATM card stop thefts like what's going on now?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I have qualifications in IT. 

Epic. 

My dad is a tv repairman. He has an awesome set of tools.

I know whop to contact if I need a TV repaired lol

Oh wait - I do all the repairs myself on my electronic devices - my TV does have networking though but it's not connected to my bank 

4 minutes ago, bbko said:

When I opened my Bangkok Bank account I seem to recall they mentioning something about I could turn my ATM card on/off if I wanted via the app. Anyone know how to do it and would turning off the ATM card stop thefts like what's going on now?

as already mentioned you can disable it for payments and only use it for ATM cash

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

Yes, this happened to me 3 weeks ago. 
I had around 18,000 THB stolen from my Kasikorn Bank account. 
I hadn't checked my account for around 8 days, but when i did, i realized there was some money missing.
When i looked at my bank statement, i could see that there were some very unusual withdrawals over a period of 8  days, mostly a lot of small ones ranging from 300 THB up to three thousand THB

Anyway, after i realized, i went straight to the Bank and reported it & they returned my money to me 5 hours later that evening.

So yeah , make sure you check your accounts every day guys! 

Enquire whether they have a service to send an SMS to your phone whenever a transaction is made.

Bangkok Bank send an instant SMS message to my phone when I withdraw or receive in my savings account.

• Like 1

Just now, Andrew Dwyer said:

Enquire whether they have a service to send an SMS to your phone whenever a transaction is made.

Bangkok Bank send an instant SMS message to my phone when I withdraw or receive in my savings account.

You have to look at what the report limit is set to.  Most are over 100 baht or even higher.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Nationwide, Wise in UK and Bangkok Bank here, with Express VPN on both PC & phone would seem pretty secure.

I had a Bangkok Bank debit card, I'd never used it physically or online, in fact it's never left a drawer at home.

I received an SMS from the bank that it had been used for a EDC transaction for just over 2,000 Baht. 

I notified Bangkok Bank that I hadn't made or authorised the transaction, they required a police report after which the cash was refunded.

I have absolutely no idea how it happened, and I've not bothered to get a new card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Lost 45 x 34.15 from Bangkok bank.....never used PayPal in my life.

No worries. Many people say how Thai banks are superior to western banks. They will sort it out for you by tomorrow afternoon.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

have you heard of a computer, and I agree with him about banking using an app on a phone - it is very risky

On the balance, I expect a phone to be more secure than laptop/desktop. Most mobiles have a comprehensive security model. Not perfect, but better than the patchwork to non existent security model on a (Windows) desktop. When someone has physical access to laptop/mobile all bets are off.

Edited by jacob29

I have 2 accounts, one linked to an ATM card and used for all online purchases (PC and phone app) and one without ATM. The one without ATM is my main account, which fills up the ATM account as needed, with amounts of 10-20k. 
If anything happens, they can only access the ATM account and potential losses are contained.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pravda said:

No worries. Many people say how Thai banks are superior to western banks. They will sort it out for you by tomorrow afternoon.

555.....reported losses last Tuesday.......not seen anything reappear in my account.

Not holding my breath 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

my debit card is disabled for any type of online or in shop transactions - if I wasn't able to do that I wouldn't have the card

How did you disable it? In person at the bank or can it be done via phone app? If via the app, care to share how?

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I had a Bangkok Bank debit card, I'd never used it physically or online, in fact it's never left a drawer at home.

I received an SMS from the bank that it had been used for a EDC transaction for just over 2,000 Baht. 

I notified Bangkok Bank that I hadn't made or authorised the transaction, they required a police report after which the cash was refunded.

I have absolutely no idea how it happened, and I've not bothered to get a new card.

Me too, but has 11880B Deducted.

Have done my and police report...about 10 days ago. 

How long did it take for BB to refund your lost money ??

1 minute ago, Sunmaster said:

I have 2 accounts, one linked to an ATM card and used for all online purchases (PC and phone app) and one without ATM. The one without ATM is my main account, which fills up the ATM account as needed, with amounts of 10-20k. 
If anything happens, they can only access the ATM account and potential losses are contained.

Smart move.....will do the same.

Cheers

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

How do you do your 'banking', go to the local branch every time you want to do something?

Withdraw a set amount of cash each month and keep a manual ledger of transactions.

Occasionally go to get the paper bank passbook updated at the branch. Using this method you will never attract the scammers 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thaifly88 said:

Withdraw a set amount of cash each month and keep a manual ledger of transactions.

Occasionally go to get the paper bank passbook updated at the branch. Using this method you will never attract the scammers 

So if the scammer hits on your account the day AFTER you withdraw your monthly cash, and before your OCCASIONAL passbook update, what would you do? The 'manual ledger' means nothing, only to you. 

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

A couple of weeks I think, the funds just appeared back in by account.

They did send me a letter, but to an old address.

Thanks , I'll wait for a deposit SMS from BB, hopefully soon. But bet they're overwhelmed with the "reported" cases that seem to have popped up. 

7 minutes ago, bbko said:

How did you disable it? In person at the bank or can it be done via phone app? If via the app, care to share how?

I just had a quick look on the App and the one option I followed thinking likely, told me not available to foreign customers. 

14 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Exactly as i have done for the last 20 Years, Good Move

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I'll concede that I'm a novice when it comes to smartphones.  I just never felt the need to do finances on my phone.  On my PC and laptop, I have all manner of security and anti-virus protections.  On my phone, nothing.  That's why I'm a bit cautious. 

I am with you on that, been around computers since the days of DOS, a bit wary of windows when it first appeared.

Smartphones is a whole new ballgame and this dog is a bit too old for new trickery.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

That's rather disconcerting.  Hopefully the banks will get a handle on this....if they haven't already.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

This made me check all of my Thailand bank accounts.  Luckily, no problems.  But then I don't use my credit/debit cards for any online transactions.  And I definitely don't do banking on my phone.

Same as me... no online/internet banking.

And definitely not via mobile phone, call me old school if you will.

• Like 2

This is shocking. The manner in which the article is presented is that this is (now) commonplace.

Where is the government??!?

I'm feeling very potentially raped. We all know if this occurs you'd get zero help from the bank as well  and blame it in you. It's probably insiders not phishers or *hackers*.

Another reason to leave. This is serious sh*+!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Slightly off-topic, please forgive me.

Is anyone else having problems with Bangkok Bank internet banking?  I haven't been able to get on to for days, after logging in I get a page telling me it's unavailable - tried a couple of other browsers, same same.  No problems with the phone app, just the net banking.

1 minute ago, Konini said:

Slightly off-topic, please forgive me.

Is anyone else having problems with Bangkok Bank internet banking?  I haven't been able to get on to for days, after logging in I get a page telling me it's unavailable - tried a couple of other browsers, same same.  No problems with the phone app, just the net banking.

Hmmm....strange.  I've already logged in a couple of times today, no problems.