Check your accounts: 10,000 victims lose money from many banks in a single day

webfact

2 minutes ago, JayLeno said:

It happened to me. Small amounts. Refunded already by the bank. My debit card issued by SCB was used to buy games on steam during the night.

Question remains how they succeed to take it ....

6 hours ago, smedly said:

I agree with this - it is only recently I decided to get an ATM card after years of going to the branch to withdraw money in person, it is a debit card but is disabled for anything other than ATM use - too risky IMO and also if you do become a victim they don't make it easy to get your money back, I also get an sms when there is any activity on my account

I had some fraudulent transaction on my Thai bank credit card. Reported them and got a full refund in 14 days. Not much fuss in the process at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

No, you said 'And I definitely don't do banking on my phone.' but you check your accounts and do transfers online????

So not clear what you are talking about.

Could he probably do it on a computer or notebook ?

I get a mail from my bank every time. Even if i only go to check the account.
Normaly if I transfere using my phone, I get 2 mails right away. one saying somone have accest my acount, and one saying the amount that has been transferred.

• Like 2

I bought gold today using my Crypto Debit card. When paying, they asked me to write my password down on a piece of paper, to which I obviously refused. They seemed a bit peeved but managed to move the card reader to where I could use it. 

• Haha 2

For many years:
I use my laptop for multiple online transactions. I have Norton 360 protection.
I use my phone, also extensively, for bank transactions. It is an iPhone, almost impossible to hack, unlike some of the alternative smartphones.
Never had a problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Nationwide, Wise in UK and Bangkok Bank here, with Express VPN on both PC & phone would seem pretty secure.

A VPN is the opposite of being secure, it’s routing all your data through a server

only benefit is to bypass websites being blocked in Thailand or to change IP addresses

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dj230 said:

A VPN is the opposite of being secure, it’s routing all your data through a server

only benefit is to bypass websites being blocked in Thailand or to change IP addresses

Really, I and many others, never knew that.

28 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Really, I and many others, never knew that.

Well I guess a benefit is the website is unable to “track” you since you’re routing your data through a “middle man” server

But your data is compromised because of that, especially if there is a breach in the VPN company, I think there was one with one of the popular VPNs, I forget which 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

This made me check all of my Thailand bank accounts.  Luckily, no problems.  But then I don't use my credit/debit cards for any online transactions.  And I definitely don't do banking on my phone.

You can have the convenience of online purchases while limiting your risk.... You just setup an account with a debit card specifically for purchases and you maintain a balance that you are comfortable losing if the debit card is used for malicious purposes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

No, you said 'And I definitely don't do banking on my phone.' but you check your accounts and do transfers online????

So not clear what you are talking about.

I know it's increasingly difficult for people these days to understand, but not everything has be done on a phone. There are these old-fashioned things called computers which people can use too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I bought gold today using my Crypto Debit card. When paying, they asked me to write my password down on a piece of paper, to which I obviously refused. They seemed a bit peeved but managed to move the card reader to where I could use it. 

you bought gold, what the heck? been listening to Peter Schiff have you?

seriously, don't you worry that your CdC card will be compromised by using it as widely as you do? or do you only use it at 'reputable' establishments?

I'm coming over from Oz in late November and want to use my Rosie as much as possible for that sweet, sweet 5% cashback but am a little concerned about having it compromised. replacement will be a nightmare as they don't ship cards to Thailand and they've started to get narky with proof of address.

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Nationwide, Wise in UK and Bangkok Bank here, with Express VPN on both PC & phone would seem pretty secure.

Having solid security in your phone and computers is certainly a must. but I think you will see most of this fraudulent activity is coming from or generated on the other end of transactions which your personal security has no ability to defend against 

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I know it's increasingly difficult for people these days to understand, but not everything has be done on a phone. There are these old-fashioned things called computers which people can use too.

Smart phones are computers...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

One reason I never keep my salary in the bank. For the last 4/5 years, as soon as it hits the bank, it is changed into cryptocurrencies. I then use my crypto.com card/phone app to pay for things.

How do you play at 7 Eleven?

I'm yet to come across an internet purchase where I've seen the option to transact with crypto.

Am I missing a screen field of some kind?

8 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I just checked my accounts online, so clearly that's not what I'm talking about.  I also transfer money online.  I just don't use my credit/debit cards for online purchases. 

Kasikorn let you create a virtual credit card, you set the max total of payments it can make.

• Like 1

40,000 People Lost B10m to Fraudulent Withdrawals

money-768x415.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 18 (TNA) – About 40,000 people have lost altogether about 10 million baht to automatic and fraudulent withdrawals, according to the Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau.

Pol Lt Gen Kornchai Khlaikhlueng, commissioner of the bureau, said withdrawals from bank and credit card accounts without the consent of account owners resulted from three causes.

Firstly, personal data of bank account owners were leaked to criminals after accounts had been set up for bill payments through applications.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-805774

tnalogo.jpg

7 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:
9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Smart phones are computers...

The poster was asked how he can do internet banking when he said that he doesn't do it by phone.