Check your accounts: 10,000 victims lose money from many banks in a single day

webfact

So far I understood from news, that this only Mastercard ATM-Card/Debit Card or Credit cards are involved from different banks.

Also from many different shops involved (Shoppee, lazada, Google Play, and many more)

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

No, you said 'And I definitely don't do banking on my phone.' but you check your accounts and do transfers online????

So not clear what you are talking about.

ever hear of desktop and laptop computers? I do 95% of my banking online and I NEVER use my phone.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, madmen said:

10 k was ripped from my Bangkok bank account while I was OS. 

Bank staff were rude and not interested in even following it up. 

When I finally got through to the right person via phone I was told because it was over 120 days they couldn't do anything. 

I don't think so that was just round one 

Not good as BKK bank slogan is ..we are here to help wherever you are 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

No, you said 'And I definitely don't do banking on my phone.' but you check your accounts and do transfers online????

So not clear what you are talking about.

I don't do on-line banking or any other kind of on-line purchasing on my phone and laptop for this simple reason. if i want anything i walk to an ATM and then the shop and bay cash.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Thanks.. an EDC (Electronic Draft Capture) is like a card swipe machine use..... looks like a hacker or skimmer or a place you previously used the card. Small withdrawals to prevent SMS alerts. Interesting... I hope someone can explain and hint at how to ensure it cannot happen again.

I get sms notifications on any amount. My PWA bill paid by kasikorn app each month ~32 baht generates sms.

22 minutes ago, Konini said:

Slightly off-topic, please forgive me.

Is anyone else having problems with Bangkok Bank internet banking?  I haven't been able to get on to for days, after logging in I get a page telling me it's unavailable - tried a couple of other browsers, same same.  No problems with the phone app, just the net banking.

It was as slow as a lazy dog first thing this morning, and timed out on me 4 or 5 times before I gave up. Was ok when I tried it later, around 11am. Ok over the week end though.

1 minute ago, stbkk said:

It was as slow as a lazy dog first thing this morning, and timed out on me 4 or 5 times before I gave up. Was ok when I tried it later, around 11am. Ok over the week end though.

Bangkok Bank online was not working from early Sunday morning until Sunday afternoon due to maintenance.

32 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

On the balance, I expect a phone to be more secure than laptop/desktop. Most mobiles have a comprehensive security model. Not perfect, but better than the patchwork to non existent security model on a (Windows) desktop. When someone has physical access to laptop/mobile all bets are off.

Banking security is an interesting topic, banks have introduced extra levels of security over recent years beyond the pin, we have card readers - OTP messages etc which adds an extra layer, the weakness exposed in this topic is when you use a card for online or inshop purchases were you enter a pin to approve the payment - another weakness is the bank IT staff/empoyees

Some on this thread have offered solutions like using a VPN to increase security - maybe they can explain how that works or adds value to this topic lol

I do not trust Thai banks but hey that is just me, if the internal system security at a bank fails it is almost certainly an insider - if your pin is hacked at a POS terminal then the person at the retail outlet is very likely responsible

Interesting fact - the ATM machine you use to withdraw cash uses a MS Windows OS 

49 minutes ago, bbko said:

How did you disable it? In person at the bank or can it be done via phone app? If via the app, care to share how?

the default for my card was disabled - I had to request it to be enabled, for Bangkok bank I believe a visit to your branch is required although I have never explored this or give them a call 

34 minutes ago, Konini said:

Slightly off-topic, please forgive me.

Is anyone else having problems with Bangkok Bank internet banking?  I haven't been able to get on to for days, after logging in I get a page telling me it's unavailable - tried a couple of other browsers, same same.  No problems with the phone app, just the net banking.

I had the same problem go to your branch they will sort it for you 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Keesters said:

I get sms notifications on any amount. My PWA bill paid by kasikorn app each month ~32 baht generates sms.

For Bangkok Bank it tells me..

500 baht or more is transferred into or out of your account.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HampiK said:

So far I understood from news, that this only Mastercard ATM-Card/Debit Card or Credit cards are involved from different banks.

Also from many different shops involved (Shoppee, lazada, Google Play, and many more)

so this could be an exclusive  MC Thailand issue .............................interesting

41 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

This is shocking. The manner in which the article is presented is that this is (now) commonplace.

Where is the government??!?

I'm feeling very potentially raped. We all know if this occurs you'd get zero help from the bank as well  and blame it in you. It's probably insiders not phishers or *hackers*.

Another reason to leave. This is serious sh*+!

Disagree with you as far as help from banks. A little while ago I had money taken from my KrungThai A/C by some one in the UK. Reported it to the bank HQ and the money was returned two weeks later. A bank branch is not the place to make a complaint in Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I'll concede that I'm a novice when it comes to smartphones.  I just never felt the need to do finances on my phone.  On my PC and laptop, I have all manner of security and anti-virus protections.  On my phone, nothing.  That's why I'm a bit cautious. 

All the security you have on your PC and laptop can be installed on your phone

5 hours ago, Sophon said:

I have never used my Thai debit card for PayPal.

Despite the above my card was debited for 71 transactions of 34.15 Baht each.

Maybe some one stole your debit card information and used it to register a PayPal account?  

25 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Disagree with you as far as help from banks. A little while ago I had money taken from my KrungThai A/C by some one in the UK. Reported it to the bank HQ and the money was returned two weeks later. A bank branch is not the place to make a complaint in Thailand.

Pleased to here that but this article and numerous Post articles would demonstrate the contrary.

I'm quite nervous about using my debit/credit  card for online purchases.

I have taken what I believe (maybe foolishly) steps to protect the bulk of my money.

I have a Wise (formally transferwise) debit card which I load with sufficient funds for any online purchases I may be making.

My thinking behind it is that at worse I'm only going to lose whatever is on the card at that moment in time.

Granted its loaded from my bank account, hopefully the details of which will be out of reach to any ass wipe hacker!

56 minutes ago, Ginner said:

I don't do on-line banking or any other kind of on-line purchasing on my phone and laptop for this simple reason. if i want anything i walk to an ATM and then the shop and bay cash.

My long deceased olde man was of the same mind set. But, alas, we are now in the 21st century - well the Western World is.

And you think an ATM is more secure than online banking!!!!!?????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Berkshire said:

This made me check all of my Thailand bank accounts.  Luckily, no problems.  But then I don't use my credit/debit cards for any online transactions.  And I definitely don't do banking on my phone.

I only use my German account for online banking but never for online purchasing, I refused a credit card that they offered me and refused to have my ATM card turned into a touchless debit card, cash is king as far as I am concerned, old fashioned but safe.