Check your accounts: 10,000 victims lose money from many banks in a single day

webfact

This topic served as a welcome reminder for myself.

I never use my Bangkok Bank debit card for any purchases, only at ATMs. So I finally used their phone banking to set the purchase limit to 0 baht, which I should have done long ago.

I do use my Kasikorn Bank web shopping card and debit card for purchases, so I double checked that the limits are reasonably low. I get instant SMS notifications for all transactions, so that's quite easy to keep track of.

Nothing gone missing so far. Fingers crossed and best of luck to all of you. 

2 minutes ago, treetops said:

Phone banking as in you called them or as in you used an app on your mobile phone?

I called their automated Bualuang Phone Banking system, where they have a procedure for changing the debit card limits.

Unlike with Kasikorn Bank, I think you cannot adjust your debit card limits from within the app. At least I didn't find that option, but I might have simply missed it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, treetops said:

I couldn't either, that's why I asked. ????

Some will allow it through phone banking but not through the app - I guess they figure you can change it in one location using one method - where you cannot do transactions....

11 hours ago, Berkshire said:

This made me check all of my Thailand bank accounts.  Luckily, no problems.  But then I don't use my credit/debit cards for any online transactions.  And I definitely don't do banking on my phone.

Phone security and connections are definitely suspect as all the apps that are out there.

7 hours ago, jacob29 said:

On the balance, I expect a phone to be more secure than laptop/desktop. Most mobiles have a comprehensive security model. Not perfect, but better than the patchwork to non existent security model on a (Windows) desktop. When someone has physical access to laptop/mobile all bets are off.

Well that rather depends on how the laptop/desktop is configured, regarding A/V, anti-Malware software. I'd say mine are pretty damn tight but they are configured correctly.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, smedly said:

Banking security is an interesting topic, banks have introduced extra levels of security over recent years beyond the pin, we have card readers - OTP messages etc which adds an extra layer, the weakness exposed in this topic is when you use a card for online or inshop purchases were you enter a pin to approve the payment - another weakness is the bank IT staff/empoyees

Some on this thread have offered solutions like using a VPN to increase security - maybe they can explain how that works or adds value to this topic lol

I do not trust Thai banks but hey that is just me, if the internal system security at a bank fails it is almost certainly an insider - if your pin is hacked at a POS terminal then the person at the retail outlet is very likely responsible

Interesting fact - the ATM machine you use to withdraw cash uses a MS Windows OS 

And i wonder how often said MS Windows system is patched!!

13 hours ago, webfact said:

It involved those with debit cards linked to internet banking with most victims having registered on shopping platforms and purchasing things like air tickets and hotels online.

Which is why I don't use a debit card for anything but ATM withdrawal and I'm careful at that.  If you lose money through fraudulent theft, who's gonna reimburse you for your losses?
Cavet Emptor (Buyer Beware).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I understand that, as I used to feel the same with the computer. However, these days, and the apps I use, are actually very secure. I trade cryptos on my phone but for every transaction, I am required to use a number generated and sent by SMS, one sent by email, and a google authentication generated number. I also need to use my password. Having said that, I would use my computer if It was convenient, but sometimes, like when driving ???? , it isn't. 

Do you trade cryptos when driving or drive when you trade cryptos ? And furthermore complaining about the Thai drivers skills.

Firstly, personal data of bank account owners were leaked to criminals after accounts had been set up for bill payments through applications.

Secondly, account owners received fraudulent messages with links through short message services (SMS) luring them into clicking the links and inputting their personal data.

Thirdly, corrupt staff at petrol stations and shops copied numbers on credit and debit cards and sold the data to criminals.

Use a VPN - problem solved  lol

The above quoted text from the article is complete tosh 

The message is simple - it is not safe to use a card to pay for anything with a card sourced in Thailand - it is not secure, nothing to do with phone apps or devices,  this breach is very explicit I suspect that the so called crimials had access to internal banking data (employees) and are very likely responsible for this  

Answer is simple. I don't do online banking. The card A/C I se has a limit but I always use cash  You even  have to watch the Banks. 

Had a American Express Platinum Card once always paid on time , one day statement showed late payment, dash down to their branch who  put me through to HQ.  They said the it had not been paid Branch said Yes we have received it and sent it to you. HQ insisted it had not been paid and I was therefore in arrears. Branch said well we have a stamped receipt here showing it paid. Nothing more from HQ A/C paid. Had I not had that piece of paper I would have been unable to prove payment and would have had to cough -up another 195,000Bht. 

SO AWAYS CKECK STATMENTS AND AWAYS GET A RECEIPT.  

I AWAYS ADVISE PEOPLE WHEN DEALING WITH ANY COMPANY GET NAME. AND RECORD DATE TIME PLUS BRIEF VERSION OF WHAT WAS SAID.

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I bought gold today using my Crypto Debit card. When paying, they asked me to write my password down on a piece of paper, to which I obviously refused. They seemed a bit peeved but managed to move the card reader to where I could use it. 

Wow.... that is quite a breach of the rules. Very suspicious. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I use my phone for nearly everything and have never had any issue. Welcome to the modern, cashless society. 

Thailand.. cashless, nowhere near it.

You  can use convenient methods ie... cards/online banking, but to say cashless Thailand nah.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-805774

He suggested card users erase or cover three-digit CVC security codes at the backs of their cards for safety.

Yes, mutilate your cards. Erase the 3 digit CVC on the card. Such a professional suggestion.

While you're at it, erase your signature too and maybe cut the card in half. Store them in separate locations.

Edited by mvdf
  • Haha 2

Reading the full article, some of these people fell for the oldest online tricks in the book. Clicking on links and/or responding to email and SMS from uncertain sources. Sometimes they look very authentic, but the proper action is to securely access through app or official website. It's called "phishing" and has been warned about for 25 years. 

21 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

interesting.  A person posted about money disappearing and those same amounts just a few days ago.  This is why I minimize online stuff.  I only use Credit card here in the USA as we have pretty strong consumer protection.  I never ever link my primary checking account or debit card.  And I have never ever used that overseas.  It will be interesting to see exactly at what level this breach is occuring, which servers or 3rd party vendors are involved etc

I follow the same rule of thumb as you and use cash back credit cards to pay for everything (shopping, utilities, etc). Love those monthly rewards! I always pay the balance in full every month and never paid 1 penny of interest. I use the banks money to get a little extra back each month ????

21 hours ago, smedly said:

I agree with this - it is only recently I decided to get an ATM card after years of going to the branch to withdraw money in person, it is a debit card but is disabled for anything other than ATM use - too risky IMO and also if you do become a victim they don't make it easy to get your money back, I also get an sms when there is any activity on my account

I got caught with this scam with about 40 withdrawals which the bank has agreed to refund

No SMS message re the withdrawals which obviously doesn’t active for small amounts therefore didn’t detect until book updated.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Is there not a certain limit? I notice smaller CC deductions are not flagged to me, I believe under 1000baht (Bangkok Bank). These sneaky multiple small deductions might well go unnoticed. 

I just opened a Bangkok Bank account yesterday and I am receiving SMS messages for all transactions.  For example a 10 baht tip on Grab.  Had to pay 30THB per month for the feature though and they told me no option to receive emails instead.  Maybe if you don't pay you only get notifications on larger amounts?

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Reading the full article, some of these people fell for the oldest online tricks in the book. Clicking on links and/or responding to email and SMS from uncertain sources. Sometimes they look very authentic, but the proper action is to securely access through app or official website. It's called "phishing" and has been warned about for 25 years. 

Some might have but myself and one other I know didn't,

It seems they got in through the bank’s online app which was hacked and wasn’t as secure as the bank believed.

Just now, StevieAus said:

Some might have but myself and one other I know didn't,

It seems they got in through the bank’s online app which was hacked and wasn’t as secure as the bank believed.

Yeah...same for my GF...10K out of her SCB account...she is very old school...never pays bills online...always gos to bank to pay...so something else happened. How much do you want to bet the banks are already setting up an alibi so they can stiff their customers for these thefts ?

3 minutes ago, RoninTech said:

I just opened a Bangkok Bank account yesterday and I am receiving SMS messages for all transactions.  For example a 10 baht tip on Grab.  Had to pay 30THB per month for the feature though and they told me no option to receive emails instead.  Maybe if you don't pay you only get notifications on larger amounts?

I don't pay anything for Kasikorn and large transactions come thru via SMS. But everything is shown in app notifications so if you check that everyday you catch everything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoninTech said:

That’s interesting as we only took up the notification option recently with the same bank and there was no options offered or to make a monthly payment 

I got caught with the scam and got no notifications for the small amounts.

Will go back to the branch this morning.