Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

Anyone remember the Chinese brand motorcycles like Stallion, GPX, Legend? I remember the names but I rarely see them anymore. Why? Well because they're cr*p made. If they were well made they would have sold better then and they would be selling now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Anyone remember the Chinese brand motorcycles like Stallion, GPX, Legend? I remember the names but I rarely see them anymore. Why? Well because they're cr*p made. If they were well made they would have sold better then and they would be selling now.

They were not exactly cheap, or targeted to the Thai market.  Pretty hard to ignore Honda or Yamaha, pricing & styling.

Anyone remember MG by SAIC ... they're everywhere now, with increased sales every year for ICEs, and probably the #1 pick for most when thinking about EVs.  GWM sure to be right on their A$$. 

SAIC ... Where are they from ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

SAIC Motor Corp., Ltd. (formerly Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) is a Chinese state-owned automobile manufacturer headquartered in Anting, Shanghai.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

So, apparently, nationality is how automobile companies are to be judged? MG brand autos are no different in quality from Stallion, GPX, or Legend because they're manufactured by Chinese companies? Tell that to the European nations where MG's business is booming.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Madgee said:

SAIC Motor Corp., Ltd. (formerly Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) is a Chinese state-owned automobile manufacturer headquartered in Anting, Shanghai.

I was being sarcastic, I own a MG ZS, love it, and researched SAIC way before I bought it. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So, apparently, nationality is how automobile companies are to be judged? MG brand autos are no different in quality from Stallion, GPX, or Legend because they're manufactured by Chinese companies? Tell that to the European nations where MG's business is booming.

Liking my Chinese made e-motorcycle also, DECO line, state Thai made/assembled, but seen my exact model on 'made in China' / Alibaba site. 

Wishing the tinker cars, Wuling (SAIC) & Pocco would be reasonably priced, as I'd have one of those for knocking around town also.  Not ready for full size EV car until they offer more range, and hopefully less or at least same price now, as in < ฿1 mill.  That's a bit of a stretch for 200 kms highway driving.  I'd have to stop, charge up, just to visit my daughter at Krung Thep, and the same, there & on the way back home.

Granted, a lot cheaper to operate, and easy ROI is there, but I'm way to impatient for that short range.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

They were not exactly cheap, or targeted to the Thai market.  Pretty hard to ignore Honda or Yamaha, pricing & styling.

Anyone remember MG by SAIC ... they're everywhere now, with increased sales every year for ICEs, and probably the #1 pick for most when thinking about EVs.  GWM sure to be right on their A$$. 

Yes, they will attract folk who want a cheap ride that's made in G.B............. ????  ..........What a find.................????

1164476747_MGflag.jpg.5fc94c328896b846c874f73110bd106b.jpg

49 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Read the not so fine print ... Designed in GB ... but you knew that.

Nobody claims or even implies they are made in the UK, and only an idiot would think that.

You never saw the quip then....?....????.

PS, Was the pickup in my photo designed in G.B.....?  ????

Edited by transam

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My friends daughter has bought a MG truck Smartcab top range model saved over a 100,000 + .

Every bit as good as any other truck. 

Probably is as it is a tarted up Chinese Maxus T70, tried and tested....????

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I assume you are referring to the "BRIT" badge that says nothing about being made in G.B ?

brit.jpg.bbdd59d70731ee18dc6139c5358dbdd9.jpg

Correct, it also doesn't have a Chinese flag, where it is made, so why do you think this 100% Chinese truck has a Union Jack with Brit on it. ?

58 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Read the not so fine print ... Designed in GB ... but you knew that.

Nobody claims or even implies they are made in the UK, and only an idiot would think that.

Up until the end if 2016 they were still being made in GB, and are still designed in GB.

https://europe.autonews.com/article/20160923/ANE/160929905/mg-will-end-uk-production#:~:text=MG Motor will stop making,efficiencies and help centralize distribution.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Correct, it also doesn't have a Chinese flag, where it is made, so why do you think this 100% Chinese truck has a Union Jack with Brit on it. ?

Because it is sold by MG possibly.

still trying to work out the made in G.B angle that you so willfully ignore to answer.

On 10/18/2021 at 6:45 PM, London Lowf said:

In the sixties some people laughed at Japanese motorbikes, and then in the seventies Japanese cars.

China is taking over as the manufacturing hub of the world and there is nothing to stop it as, at the end of the day, people want cheap stuff - and it's not necessarily poor quality.

What is of Chinese manufacture and of high quality?

7 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

still trying to work out the made in G.B angle that you so willfully ignore to answer.

I linked an article above that indicates it is designed still and engineered in London Bridge. Up until the end of 2016 the final assembly was done in GB. Transam is just trolling in my view. The cars are also made in Thailand so it would seem that the cars are not 100% Chinese.....but then what cars are produced 100% in any country....in my view it does not matter as my MG is very reliable. Drove from BKK to Phuket and around many places in between so far on our road trip, 2300 km so far...9.2 km per L, yes I ran it up towards 150 kmh for the long stretches on AH2

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Probably is as it is a tarted up Chinese Maxus T70, tried and tested....????

I was sceptical because of the price but I couldn't fault it, 2ltr engine so cheap road tax same as my Isuzu and same space in cab. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

You missed the quip too....???? 

But, you tell me why the truck has a Union Jack on the tail gate with Brit written on it, I mean, it is a Maxus T70 with MG bling....?

Now to me, it is a sales gimmick to sell a Chinese truck with the G.B. link, if it wasn't, they would be selling the Maxus T70 in LOS well before now, perhaps they do, but I have never seen one.......

1 hour ago, transam said:

'Brit Dynamic' ????  

I haven't a clue, but read into it what you want.  Anyone not researching the purchases, well...

....nuff said.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, transam said:

Because, supposedly, designed at the Longbridge, Birmingham HQ, though not sure how true that is, today.  

Not sure they assemble anything in EU any more.

"MG Motor designs, develops and markets cars sold under the MG marque, while vehicle manufacturing takes place at its factories in Europe and China. The design of the cars was originally engineered by MG Motors in Longbridge, Birmingham, United Kingdom."

No different than all the other rebadged or made in China cars sold be so many other 'manufactures'... Do they have a 'Made in China' plate on the back of their cars.

The list includes almost every EU & USA auto maker.

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

'Brit Dynamic' ????  

I haven't a clue, but read into it what you want.  Anyone not researching the purchases, well...

....nuff said.

"Brit Dynamic", hmmmm, weeeell, you have been no.1 for slagging off MG of the past, yet now we have "Brit Dynamic", not "Chinese Dynamic".  ????

Purchases, I did mention that earlier, cheap car with the G.B. link, it must have ticked a lot of boxes..........????

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

What is of Chinese manufacture and of high quality?

From high precision mechanical part to aerospace standard electronic list is big

My post here is for sure passing inside quality electronic system made in China

Only people locked in past times think China only produce low quality product

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Because, supposedly, designed at the Longbridge, Birmingham HQ, though not sure how true that is, today.  

Not sure they assemble anything in EU any more.

"MG Motor designs, develops and markets cars sold under the MG marque, while vehicle manufacturing takes place at its factories in Europe and China. The design of the cars was originally engineered by MG Motors in Longbridge, Birmingham, United Kingdom."

No different than all the other rebadged or made in China cars sold be so many other 'manufactures'... Do they have a 'Made in China' plate on the back of their cars.

The list includes almost every EU & USA auto maker.

I wonder what happened to the Brit MG performance thing then, they should be ashamed, but, I have no doubt the Chinese were pointing them in their direction, costs, survivability, etc....????

51 minutes ago, transam said:

You missed the quip too....???? 

But, you tell me why the truck has a Union Jack on the tail gate with Brit written on it, I mean, it is a Maxus T70 with MG bling....?

Now to me, it is a sales gimmick to sell a Chinese truck with the G.B. link, if it wasn't, they would be selling the Maxus T70 in LOS well before now, perhaps they do, but I have never seen one.......

And there you go again, avoiding my question.

I think it was a clever sales decision to rebadge T70 to sell in Thailand as a MG pick-up.

Seeing as they sell the T70 in OZ and have to make the steering wheel on the right it makes sense to sell in Thailand.

Wouldn't be surprised if SAIC is one of many sponsors of a UK football team. 

Many Thais I see have UK football team stickers on there vehicles. 

1 hour ago, transam said:

I think that (only) the badge with the Union Jack on it might have been designed in G.B.  555

(but made in China!)

• Haha 2