Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

10 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Japanese cars in Thailand are hellishly expensive with the import taxes involved.

Almost all major Japanese brands have factories I  Thailand so there are no import duties.

Cares built outside Thailand can incur up to 300% duties before import.

However Thailand has progressively introduced FLASH with many countries including Japan do I'm not sure what the current situation is.

There are assembly plants of brands like BMW and Merc who use TKD to a

void a lot of duties. And maybe one or two Japanese models may only qualify as TKD. These can incur up to 150% duties. The Mini is a TKD import in Thailand.

In the meantime Thailands motor industry continues to be in the world top ten.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Almost all major Japanese brands have factories I  Thailand so there are no import duties.

Cares built outside Thailand can incur up to 300% duties before import.

However Thailand has progressively introduced FLASH with many countries including Japan do I'm not sure what the current situation is.

There are assembly plants of brands like BMW and Merc who use TKD to a

void a lot of duties. And maybe one or two Japanese models may only qualify as TKD. These can incur up to 150% duties. The Mini is a TKD import in Thailand.

In the meantime Thailands motor industry continues to be in the world top ten.

You honestly think a Thai built Merc/BMW is still a German vehicle ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

You honestly think a Thai built Merc/BMW is still a German vehicle ?

I think your perception of how the motor industry us set up is clouded by racist overtones.

So how about the mini? Durcati,Triumph Toyota, Mazda, izusu, Ford, GM, Nissan, Mitsubishi what are these? Do you really think it matters where they are built or rather assembled ...do you think that is the only factor.... how do you attribute a "nationality" to a car these days? I suspect your ideas are based on racist principles.

I doubt if you have ever visited any of the car plants in Thailand...I have worked at several.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I doubt if you have ever visited any of the car plants in Thailand...I have worked at several.

Working in the industry as a tier 1 supplier I can assure you I have spent lots of time in Auto Facilities not only here in Thailand but also numerous other countries around the world.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:47 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Sure go EV. Tell me how I charge it in my condo's parking garage where there are no chargers, and parking is first come first serve.  Even if there was a charging station some tool would park his/her car in the stall because it would be open.......now if it was assigned parking and the Juristic office would allow a charger to be placed into your stall, who would be paying for the power use as it would have to be wired separately to be charged to the stall owner. 

Agreed charging at Condos is difficult, but not impossible.

When I was on a condo committee in Thailand we received many requests from Condo owners and we always considered them on how they would impact the other owners and particularly what the financial impact would be. 

If I was was still living in a condo and wanted to charge my electric car I would make a proposal something like:

Owner agrees to pay for the wall charger, it's installation and maintenance

The wall charger becomes the property of the building when the owner sells his unit

The building can charge the owner double the MEA electricity rate plus B100/month admin fee

The owner gets a reserved parking space with his number plate clearly visible

There is ฿1,000 clamp release fee for anyone else parking in the spot (split 50:50 owner and building)

The building agrees to transfer any profits from the program into a sinking fund to be used for the upgrade of the common area electrical system

20 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Working in the industry as a tier 1 supplier I can assure you I have spent lots of time in Auto Facilities not only here in Thailand but also numerous other countries around the world.

Me too.........????‍????.................????

23 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Then im surprised how ĺittle you understand about the industry.

Just do a search on the internet most complaints from Thai owners is they were told that the MG is an European car and clearly it isn't 

if you take Jaguar Cars designed in the UK, Built in the UK, Majority of staff are British production line quality control is in the UK and final release of car is in the Uk

They do have a JV in china and those cars are sold under a different brand and  they have  modify vehicle interiors and exteriors to local tastes.

Unfortunately the UK production line quaility control and final release quality control hasn't transferred from the UK to the JV production line

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/jaguar-land-rover-hurt-quality-control-issues-china

16 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Just do a search on the internet most complaints from Thai owners is they were told that the MG is an European car and clearly it isn't 

if you take Jaguar Cars designed in the UK, Built in the UK, Majority of staff are British production line quality control is in the UK and final release of car is in the Uk

They do have a JV in china and those cars are sold under a different brand and  they have  modify vehicle interiors and exteriors to local tastes.

Unfortunately the UK production line quaility control and final release quality control hasn't transferred from the UK to the JV production line

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/jaguar-land-rover-hurt-quality-control-issues-china

They are told that because the Chinese set up the MG office is in the UK. It is a clever hoodwink ploy....Many here do not see my point...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, transam said:

They are told that because the Chinese set up the MG office is in the UK. It is a clever hoodwink ploy....Many here do not see my point...

It must be a local thing As MG Australia make it crystal clear

MG Motor is the first Chinese-built brand to receive a 5-star safety ANCAP rating. Go us!

Our flagship SUV, the MG GS, has received a 5-star ANCAP safety rating, the first Chinese manufactured vehicle to do so in Australia! We are firmly focused on ongoing improvement when it comes to developing and engineering enhanced safety features in our cars.

https://mgmotor.com.au/mg-family/news-and-social/think_you_know_mg/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

It must be a local thing As MG Australia make it crystal clear

MG Motor is the first Chinese-built brand to receive a 5-star safety ANCAP rating. Go us!

Our flagship SUV, the MG GS, has received a 5-star ANCAP safety rating, the first Chinese manufactured vehicle to do so in Australia! We are firmly focused on ongoing improvement when it comes to developing and engineering enhanced safety features in our cars.

https://mgmotor.com.au/mg-family/news-and-social/think_you_know_mg/

Very good.....????

Did you notice.."Value since 1924", dunno where they got that from..............????

On 2/2/2022 at 9:29 AM, transam said:

I am not attacking MG name, I am attacking the use of the MG name and 100 year old history on a 100% Chinese offering. 

They probably couldn't sell the things with a Chinese name...

I am surprised you put the qualifier 'probably' into that statement......... in other words, you are not sure they could or couldn't? or you wish they couldn't?

The litmus test for Thailand is the GWM approach - no excuse Chinese......... they 'probably' will not sell a single car with that Chinese name........lol

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Irrespective of the qualities of the car i would never buy one from a murderous, genocidal regime.

Please tell me which country that produces cars isn't murderous, as it isn't the USA, UK, OZ or any NATO member country. 

Do you read the world news ?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Please tell me which country that produces cars isn't murderous, as it isn't the USA, UK, OZ or any NATO member country. 

I could be wrong, but do folk suddenly disappear in the countries you mention, or dispatched for not towing the "party" line, which seems to be the Communist way...?  

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 9:29 AM, transam said:

I am not attacking MG name, I am attacking the use of the MG name and 100 year old history on a 100% Chinese offering. 

They probably couldn't sell the things with a Chinese name...

Where do you think they couldn't sell?  Do you really think Thais know the MG history, and probably a good thing that they don't.  More so, like myself, they bought the MG because it was built by SAIC, if doing any research.

If the MG ZS was built by UK MG from days past, before SAIC's ownership, I wouldn't of even bothered to peek at it.  SAIC is the only reason we bought it.

Chinese name gets way more respect from me than most others at the moment.  Only problem is pricing in Thailand, or I'd own one of those tinker cars for around town ????

GWM like MG will be everywhere in Thailand the next couple years.

On the tinker cars ... I like the Wuling Hongguang Mini EV, but 400k is a stretch for specs, or even the much better specs of the Baojun E300 Plus / 300 km range.  I wish they would price the E300 under 500k.

I have no desire to spend 1 mill for a 2nd /  around town car, as what most are priced at with decent specs.  Especially since the ZS doesn't have 30k kms on the clock, and may be a long time before it sees 40k, as I don't drive it much of late.  Maybe rainy season it will get some use ????

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Well knelling on peoples necks and people getting guns and going into schools and shooting people,  and kidnapped school children being held hostage and kill, countries occupying land because of religion is OK of course just to mention a few apart from wars but let's pick on the Chinese. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, transam said:

I could be wrong, but do folk suddenly disappear in the countries you mention, or dispatched for not towing the "party" line, which seems to be the Communist way...?  

NO, the ones I mention, take the murdering overseas.  If not personally doing the killing, sell arms to anyone who wants to.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Where do you think they couldn't sell?  Do you really think Thais know the MG history, and probably a good thing that they don't.  More so, like myself, they bought the MG because it was built by SAIC, if doing any research.

If the MG ZS was built by UK MG from days past, before SAIC's ownership, I wouldn't of even bothered to peek at it.  SAIC is the only reason we bought it.

Chinese name gets way more respect from me than most others at the moment.  Only problem is pricing in Thailand, or I'd own one of those tinker cars for around town ????

GWM like MG will be everywhere in Thailand the next couple years.

On the tinker cars ... I like the Wuling Hongguang Mini EV, but 400k is a stretch for specs, or even the much better specs of the Baojun E300 Plus / 300 km range.  I wish they would price the E300 under 500k.

I have no desire to spend 1 mill for a 2nd /  around town car, as what most are priced at with decent specs.  Especially since the ZS doesn't have 30k kms on the clock, and may be a long time before it sees 40k, as I don't drive it much of late.  Maybe rainy season it will get some use ????

So why did they buy an old British car brand name and use the Union Jack on "their" offerings..?

Tell me why, if you think their stuff is great and folk wouldn't care if they were called "Chow Mieng Cars"..????