Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

13 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

I drove a ‘66 MGB with BRG paint in college—loved it to pieces, many pieces.

BMC/BL produced 523,000 MGB and variants in its 18 years production run, the vast majority going to the USA......

1.8xS4/3.0xS6/3.5V8 engines..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, placeholder said:

Your belief is false. 

Land Rover Is Officially the Worst in Dependability, 2021 J.D. Power Study Shows

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/land-rover-officially-worst-dependability-2021-j-d-power-study/

Jaguar Land Rover Promises to Fix ‘Unacceptable’ Quality Issues

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41423/jaguar-land-rover-promises-to-fix-unacceptable-quality-issues

Jaguar Land Rover: We’re losing 100K sales a year due to quality issues

https://uk.motor1.com/news/492097/jaguar-land-rover-quality-issues/

Because of work my family and I have had Landrovers since the late 1950s and I can confirm that "quality" and "reliability" are most definitely not their most notable features

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

Because of work my family and I have had Landrovers since the late 1950s and I can confirm that "quality" and "reliability" are most definitely not their most notable features

did a lap of Aus in an old Landrover.

Faultless run that took 3 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

BMC/BL produced 523,000 MGB and variants in its 18 years production run, the vast majority going to the USA......

1.8xS4/3.0xS6/3.5V8 engines..

About 60% of the MGB range and variants went to the States. However it Leylands almost total lack of marketing and R&D that brought about the demise of the brand in the 1980s and the company by the start of the next century.

The fact that a Chinese company was able to buy the brand and turn it into a success underlines the lack of vision of the British motor industry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

did a lap of Aus in an old Landrover.

Faultless run that took 3 years.

I had I 1990s Defender rom new in Oz,  it was a heap.

I changed to Landcruiser and my troubles evaporated.

I once had a conversation with a guy who owned a sheep station about Landrover v Lañdçruiser. He pointed out that his house was over 50 miles from the nearest public highway and he needed a vehicle that he could rely on to make that distance ... so he HAD to have a Landcruiser.

15 hours ago, kwilco said:

About 60% of the MGB range and variants went to the States. However it Leylands almost total lack of marketing and R&D that brought about the demise of the brand in the 1980s and the company by the start of the next century.

The fact that a Chinese company was able to buy the brand and turn it into a success underlines the lack of vision of the British motor industry.

Yes, I look forward to the Chinese MGB......????

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Again your bashing a vehicle you know very little about. Give it a rest. Just finished a 2500km drive to the south and back in my MGHS. Avg of 11.7 km per liter. Of course i drive conservatively but the road trip home to BKK from Phuket took just 10 hours and 15 minutes.  820 km one way.  Drove like a champ, handles very smoothly and quietly.  

You don't know what I know, so please don't guess. ????

And why shouldn't your Chinese ride take you here there and everywhere, I have never said it won't, my involvement in this thread is totally a cheap Chinese ride using a British performance brand name and history to sell it, yes "since 1924"......????

40 minutes ago, transam said:

my involvement in this thread is totally a cheap Chinese ride using a British performance brand name and history to sell it, yes "since 1924

????????????????????

17 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, MG was the performance side of Morris, strange the Chinese didn't use the Morris name for their non-performance rides and pickup ...????

Below is a Morris 1100 and an MG 1100, 50hp vs 55hp.... 

morris-1100-03.jpg.9d98b1aefd675673b020f2e9f828d023.jpg20824515_MG1100.jpg.24bd6915f22c3fe9f9fbd65b8a9e5516.jpg

Sad day when the name went to Chinese, a recipe for controversy.

I had an MG Midget in 1971, three years old when I bought with less than a 1000 on the clock, great car and the only one I ever sold at a profit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Come back at the 200 K km point and check in with how your MG is running. 20K and running fine doesn't mean much.

Bashing a product one doesn't own doesn't mean much either.  Whether based on it past failure of success or simply by country of ownership.

SAIC took over in 2010, with expanded production and new models, apparently well received.  That doesn't happen if you put out a c r a p product.  12 yrs going strong ... don't think the present owners have much to be concerned about.

https://www.saicmotor.com/english/latest_news/saic_motor/55866.shtml

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Bashing a product one doesn't own doesn't mean much either.  Whether based on it past failure of success or simply by country of ownership.

SAIC took over in 2010, with expanded production and new models, apparently well received.  That doesn't happen if you put out a <deleted> product.  12 yrs going strong ... don't think the present owners have much to be concerned about.

Isuzu since 1916 and Toyota since 1933, I know who I'll trust. 

25 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Come back at the 200 K km point and check in with how your MG is running. 20K and running fine doesn't mean much.

Fair call,  I guess you could look into the history spec of the engine that is used. 

The machine tooling and precision of engine parts are very accurate these days.

In most cases it's the bits outside the engine that fail these days and that had got better over the years. 

With the world apparently going electric I would be more interested in the reliability of a Electric MG. 

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

SAIC took over in 2010, with expanded production and new models, apparently well received.  That doesn't happen if you put out a c r a p product.  12 yrs going strong ... don't think the present owners have much to be concerned about.

https://www.saicmotor.com/english/latest_news/saic_motor/55866.shtml

The funny thing is, you continually slag off the British MG, yet you bought an MG made by the Chinese, now that is very funny.

My conclusion is you wanted a new cheap ride, be honest now..????

Edited by transam

27 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You would have to explain how a name is garbage.

Name becomes garbage because the vehicles are as well.

Am talking the older unreliable UK stuff, the new Chinese stuff is pretty good.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

The funny thing is, you continually slag off the British MG, yet you bought an MG made by the Chinese, now that is very funny.

My conclusion is you wanted a new cheap ride, be honest now..????

My conclusion is, after doing my research, decided the ZS was a good vehicle at a good price.  A thrifty buy that ticked all the boxes that concern me.   Beating all the competition at that price point.

Produced by an automaker with a very good track record.  I don't live in the past, and I'm not prejudice about the origin of any product.  That would limit my smile factor, and cost me a lot money.

Offer me the best product for the best price ... I'll buy it every time.

You are correct ... INEXPENSIVE QUALITY PRODUCT, works for me.

Same as you enjoying your very inexpensive Japanese product, Celerio.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Sorry if his non-explanation is good enough for you, but I would like to know the reason for his quotes. 

Now you sit back and learn something, with a bit of luck....????

Your hilarious, 

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

My conclusion is, after doing my research, decide the ZS was a good vehicle at a good price.  A thrifty buy that ticked all the boxes that concern me.   Beating all the competition at that price point.

Produced by an automaker with a very good track record.  I don't live in the past, and I'm not prejudice about the origin of any product.  That would limit my smile factor, and cost me a lot money.

Offer me the best product for the best price ... I'll buy it every time.

So it was the price, as their rides have not really been around that long, I cannot see how you came to the conclusion the ZS being a good vehicle, after all, I keep being told here it is DESIGNED in the UK, the UK MG designs you slag off, AND using Chinese production and materials......????