Cost of Mandatory Insurance for Retirement Visa

Did I miss the memo ... not mandatory.

Quick Google ... guessing OP is referring to 'O-A' visa, and not -O- or extension of.

Haven't a clue how much, and in couple years, doubt if it would be available to me, if even available now @ 67, 68 before end of the year.

Plenty of ins. offers on the internet, even saw one, 'start coverage @ 70 till 80, and no health exam if under 65'.

Thinking useless if I live till 80, though if terminal or expensive treatment required at any age, would suspect them to drop me immediately.  Seems to be their SOP.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

I did a quick edit, you may be correct for an O-A visa.

It may fall in line with anyone entering Thailand, with the new $100k required insurance.  Though just read they are thinking about lowering that to $50k USD  ... not in the Gazette, so anyone's guess.

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, khaepmu said:

Sorry, I thought I heard on a Thai News clip on YouTube that expats who want a retirement visa will need to have a 3 million Bhat health insurance policy. I must have been mistaken.

There is no retirement visa.

You can apply for a non-o visa and extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

Or a Non-OA long stay visa at a embassy or consulate. That is what the insurance mentioned is for. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Seriously ...

.... -O- visa for reason of retirement.  Most would consider that a 'retirement visa'

Look at list of visas on a embassy or consulate website and you will only see a non-o visa and then it states the reason it is applied for.

The only visas that are close to being called a retirement visa is a Non-OA or Non-OX visa.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, khaepmu said:

What might the cost for a one year 3 million Baht health insurance policy cost about. Anyone know or like to make an educated guess.

Depends on your age and medical history. Also what deductible/excess you want to pay.

Ballpark, $1,000-2,000 US a year for 50 year old

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Seriously ...

.... -O- visa for reason of retirement.  Most would consider that a 'retirement visa'

But hey, what do we know ... ????

Even the Immigration authorities refer to "Retirement Visas". 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Seriously ...

But hey, what do we know ... ????

Another newbie who thinks he knows it all.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Another newbie who thinks he knows it all.

20+ yrs living 'in' country, not sure that qualifies as a newbie.

Do y'all correct people who refer to Krung Thep as Bangkok, since technically, most have never been to Bangkok (noi / yai).  OK, maybe if visiting Wat Arun (if leaving the boat) or WangLang market, if knowing it exists.  But most couldn't tell where those districts are, or even if they exist.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no retirement visa.

You can apply for a non-o visa and extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

Or a Non-OA long stay visa at a embassy or consulate. That is what the insurance mentioned is for. 

With all due respect Sir, I am on an extension of stay from an original Non-OA issued 10 years ago from my embassy and I am required to have the 40/400 K insurance since 2020.  I have not read anything, anywhere that indicates I will exempt (this time) from the proposed increase to 3MM and that this additional insurance will only apply to new embassy or consulate applications. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

All that and you've yet to discover that there is no such thing as a 'retirement visa'. 

And 10s of millions of tourist have never been to Bangkok (noi / yai) even though they arrived to DMK / BKK airports.  Oh my .... 

• Sad 2