Firebrand Chuwit says GI’s in Vietnam war left "legacy of sex culture" in Thailand

webfact

Prostitution  the world over, when  women (and men) need  quick money they turn to selling sex,  Maybe more so in Thailand due to  the low wages paid,  and lack of social security is why people have to sell their bodies...

4 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Expect the 'but 90% of the sex industry is for Thais' posts, as if that were some sort of justification, Chewit should write a book nobody knows more than he does.

nobody knows more than he does.............................  I do.  :cheesy:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

More important, one could make a strong argument that Thailand's economic development owes a debt of thanks to the bargirls.

How many project and facilities managers came scouting for locations for a new regional plant, had a great time in Patpong or Nana or a soapie, and that influenced their recommendation for their parent company to set up in Thailand? I think things like tax incentives look good on paper, but a pleasant memory is likely a lot more influential.

How many young financial analysts working for Western investment banks came to scout out 'emerging markets', had a similarly great time in Bangkok or Pattaya, and wrote glowingly of Thailand's prospects, even upping it's 'recommended weighting' in an emerging markets' index?

Males are easily influenced by female affections, real or imagined. Business has a very human element to it, despite what biz schools might teach.

Rather than try to pretend the industry doesn't or never existed, there ought to be a statue or postage stamp reflecting the valuable contribution bargirls have made far beyond the tourism industry. Without FDI and portfolio weighting, Thailand might still be a sleepy backwater nation with a fraction of its current GDP. It might be attractive as a sleepy, Laos-like backwater land, but most Thai people probably prefer what investment and tech transfer brought it.

I have some historian friends, who claim that without the tens of millions (possibly hundreds of millions) the US invested in Thailand's infrastructure back in the early 1960's, the place might still be a disease infested swampy backwater. It sure was back then. 

The 1960s was a period during which Thailand had a strong alliance with the United States, both economically and through military support and funding. The US-Thai Treaty Amity was signed in 1966 and exempted US investors from many of the restrictions foreign MNEs from other countries were soon facing and to some extent are still facing today.

image3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have some historian friends, who claim that without the tens of millions (possibly hundreds of millions) the US invested in Thailand's infrastructure back in the early 1960's, the place might still be a disease infested swampy backwater. It sure was back then. 

And I guess the Chinese are now taking over (in every sense of the term) from where the Americans left off

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, actonion said:

Prostitution  the world over, when  women (and men) need  quick money they turn to selling sex,  Maybe more so in Thailand due to  the low wages paid,  and lack of social security is why people have to sell their bodies...

I had to sell ( rent ) my body my entire working life. How else would I have done the work I did ( not sex related ) if I hadn't used my body? I think you are referring to a specific part of anatomy.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't think Chewit changed his mind. Just commented on why he thinks the farang sex industry originated.

If he did not change his mind why did he tear down Sukhumvit sq and sell his massage parlors? Converting to Christianity usual involves another outlook. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sex in Thailand goes back many centuries and has nothing to do with US troops on R&R. Look at Thai history or just the images that adorn the country. Thailand is no different to most other countries of the world. Simply a case of supply and demand. Except if you are from the privileged hierarchy and then its take what you want.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

A Thai pimp blaming "Farang" for the sex culture in Thailand. How surprising.

Obviously there was no prostitution in Thailand before the Vietnam war, and these white devils lured and tricked these innocent Thai damsels into giving up their body for money ????.

It's never their fault, is it?

There was prostitution in Thailand before Vietnam.  If nothing else where ever a ship docks there will be women looking to give sailor a good time.  Same in every country.  Even Muslim.

The issue for Thailand as well as the Philippines was the influx of military expanded the demand and the business.

How ever if it was a Vietnam only thing it would have tapered off instead of growing so big.

Is

4 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Just the consequences of a free market economy where supply is structured to meet demand I guess.

If the supply or the demand is missing nothing is going to happen.

In general agreement, but my book of Keynesian Economics clearly suggests that since the dawn of time there are only two commodities for which there is always more demand than supply even in a free market, and one of them is food. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

In general agreement, but my book of Keynesian Economics clearly suggests that since the dawn of time there are only two commodities for which there is always more demand than supply even in a free market, and one of them is food. 

Surprised Maslow's hierarchical needs didn't include Nana at some level.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Firebrand former politician and TV presenter Chuwit Kamolwisit went online - apropos of nothing - to give the Thai public the benefit of his years of experience in Thailand's huge sex industry.

It's all Thailand has to offer and why many used to come, the young back-packers looking for the 3-S's, middle-aged divorced men on a second-wind and retirees looking for comfort late in life.

Forget the temples, beaches and food cultures... they're secondary.

But I think a change is on the way and the "workers and supply chains need to look for other work.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Surprised Maslow's hierarchical needs didn't include Nana at some level.

Actually I think it does.  Self Actualization - achieving one's full potential and creativity.  

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

The other must be beer then ????

• Haha 1