Validity Date of PCR-RT Test

Havenstreet1940

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Time of result for Thailand.

I am not sure about that. The wording seems to change in different publications. 

In the seven requirements for quarantine free arrival it states 

" "Have negative COVID-19 results from RT-PCR tests conducted within 72 hours prior to arrival in Thailand. "

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailand-sets-out-seven-conditions-for-foreign-arrivals-without-quarantine/?fbclid=IwAR2g7ZJpRJ05l-54m8FT_MUWNppE1L-X9kwdjwNclB8pcboqKJRKj5VVKOg

What does it state in the only publication  that counts? The Royal Gazette 

Picture below from Thai PBS

May be an image of text

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am not sure about that.

Although it could be argued it somewhat goes against logic, Thailand has always started the clock from when the test results are issued not from the swab being taken.

Latest wording being:

"A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling."

Item 3 https://www.tatnews.org/2021/10/quarantine-free-thailand-reopening-for-vaccinated-tourists-from-1-november-2021/

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Although it could be argued it somewhat goes against logic, Thailand has always started the clock from when the test results are issued not from the swab being taken.

Latest wording being:

"A Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling."

Item 3 https://www.tatnews.org/2021/10/quarantine-free-thailand-reopening-for-vaccinated-tourists-from-1-november-2021/

If that is the case then as you said would indeed go against logic since  one could take a test at any time and simply have the lab send the results a day before traveling. 

When we came here from the US las May, we had to find a lab that issued the results within 24 hrs from taking the test, otherwise by the time we traveled it would had ben invalid. I don't think that requirement has changed, simple the translation as the requirement is written in Thai, But TIT so who knows? To be on the safe side I would do it 72 hrs before departure . 

Even the 72 hr before Arivale does not make a lot of sense  because it could take you a couple of days to get here. 

From Florida in the  US depending on layover times the flight times ranged from 23  to over 40 hours , last time I came . 

Edited by sirineou

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If that is the case then as you said would indeed go against logic since  one could take a test at any time and simply have the lab send the results a day before traveling. 

Cunning way of looking at it but not sure a lab would comply with such a request.

From the logic side of things I was thinking more along the lines of what timelines do they really want given initially some places where taking a couple of days for results. Of course, one argument in favour of the clock starting from the result is that the delay between being swabbed and arriving "could" give infection time to show on the Thai PCR (although Delta reduced the window).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I asked the same question in the thai visa, work permit, etc. forum and there the consensus was that it need to be within 72 hours of when the test was taken not when the results were issued.

This is the correct answer. Regardless of wether one leg of your journey may or may not allow it to be from the date the certificate was issued doesn't really matter because by and large the generally accepted rule is the swab itself needs to be taken no more than 72 hours prior to departure. That same covid test is not just used to enter thailand, its used for the airlines as well. Just because thailand may allow an odd situation, doesn't mean the airlines will. 

End of the day as long as the swab itself is taken no more than 72 hours prior to departure, youll be good and dont need to worry

I agree with you but when it comes to Thailand there is no logic! It is actually from the time that the result is issued to flight departure. I know from experience of entering Thailand twice from the UK, last year and this year just recently into the Phuket Litterbox.

I think the got it wrong  in the first place and then probably could not lose face in correcting it to time from testing as with other countries. But Im thankful as the extra time is very helpful in reducing stress and the  risk of the test result arriving late; also more time to cancel/rebook if one tests positive.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

I asked the same question in the thai visa, work permit, etc. forum and there the consensus was that it need to be within 72 hours of when the test was taken not when the results were issued.

With all due respect to our esteemed fellow BMs, a consensus doesn't mean much depending on the cohort involved in reaching it, even less so when they have no direct input on the topic. The wording has always stated when the result was issued as has numerous reports from those that have actually been through the process. 

"4. Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected, using RT-PCR test, issued no more than 72 hours before departure."

From the checklist supplied to airlines from the Thai Embassy in Canberra: https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/wp-content/uploads/LastUpdateDocs-Checklist-for-Airlines-use-10-6.pdf

Bottom line IMO is it's a moot point, given the relative ease of acquiring same-day if not 24 hour results a person would be stupid not to be swabbed within 72 hours to negate issues with interpretation.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On my recent flight back from the states, they counted the 72 hours as before the departure time of my first flight.

Note about flight delays and timing:

My 1st flight left at 6am from a small airport to a gateway airport in the USA. The covid test was performed 69 hours before this first departure.  After boarding and  sitting  on the plane for two hours, it was cancelled, which meant I would miss my connections to Japan and then Bangkok.  I got my flights rescheduled for the following day, at exactly the same times. When i flew next day  and arrived at Dallas airport for my connecting flight to Japan, Japan airlines counted the time and it was a problem since the test was now older than 72 hours since my new departure. I  knew I had read about delays not counting for time during my CEO application process, but could not remember where I saw it,  and me and two JAL employees started looking online for this information.

Turns out it was printed right on the front of the COE.

Quoted from COE:

Remarks : 1.
Before travelling to Thailand, all travellers must download the ThailandPlus application and register by using COE number
and reference code.
The Communicable Disease Control Officer at International Port Health Office of Thailand has the authority to decide on the
final quarantine period.
Note to airlines - flight changes (due to flight delay or cancellation ONLY) are permitted within 72 hours from the original
flight time without the need to issue a new Certificate of Entry, provided that all other required documents are still valid.

In Japan, all paperwork was checked again,  I had to point this out again, and they had to recheck this with a superior, taking about 25 minutes to clear me for boarding for Bangkok.

Upon arrival in Bangkok, nobody mentioned this delay or PCR test timing, and nobody mentioned or asked about Thailand plus or other app. 

• Like 2

Unless it simply isn't possible, for example weekends can sometimes interfere, my opinion is that it is best to be on the safe side and take 72 hrs from time the swab was taken before scheduled flight time. And even allow for a small delay in the flight in that calculation.

Edited by Tuvoc

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Unless it simply isn't possible, for example weekends can sometimes interfere, my opinion is that it is best to be on the safe side and take 72 hrs from time the swab was taken before scheduled flight time. And even allow for a small delay in the flight in that calculation.

Thank you.  I am'all at sea' on this matter.    My flight is on 27 November LHR ETD 1450.   8 hour break in Abu Dhabi (Business  Lounge).  ETD Abu Dhabi 0835.

My confusion is - Does the 72 hrs before boarding have to take account of the Abu Dhabi - BKK leg?

9 hours ago, kokopelli said:

When I left Thailand it was 3 days from the time I received the test results. The test was done on Day 1; I picked up results on Day 2; I flew from Thailand on Day 3.

For clarification, I was told I had three days from the date I picked up the results .

I recently got a real surprise from Singapore Airlines.  I booked a one way to Los Angeles from Bangkok and thought “3 days from departure Anti-gen or PCR test”  will meet the US CDC requirements for entry?  I was wrong because buried deep in SIA’s website is this:  Transit Passengers at Changi Airport must have a negative PCR test within 48 hours before departure.  Singapore requires a PCR test just to transit.  

Double and Triple check the requirements for Entry and now Transit.  The two could be different.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

I recently got a real surprise from Singapore Airlines.  I booked a one way to Los Angeles from Bangkok and thought “3 days from departure Anti-gen or PCR test”  will meet the US CDC requirements for entry?  I was wrong because buried deep in SIA’s website is this:  Transit Passengers at Changi Airport must have a negative PCR test within 48 hours before departure.  Singapore requires a PCR test just to transit.  

Double and Triple check the requirements for Entry and now Transit.  The two could be different.  

Found this in Etihads Travel Requirements:

'You will need to take a PCR test 48 hours before departure if Abu Dhabi is your final destination. There may be additional testing requirements depending upon your destination. You can check this by searching for your final destination and selecting the ‘Flying to’ tab'.   

Currently, as we all know, UK does NOT require a PCR test,just a Lateral Flow Test before or on day 2 after arrival.  However, given that the UK could well be heading for 'Plan B' that could change.

To be safe I will have a test 48Hrs prior to departure

Edited by Havenstreet1940

Airlines will check Timatic, the IATA system which defines what is required based on info from each countries aviation authorities.  For Thailand this says it's from the time the test result was issued, no mention of the time the sample was taken:

image.png.9a6049f1ed01dd63196214583b8c3ead.png

• Like 1