Will this pandemic ever end as the infections in the UK surge again.

4MyEgo

1 hour ago, Virt said:

The authorities' success in suppressing the virus was likely thanks to a combination of measures such as compliance with social distancing directions, mask-wearing and a high rate of vaccine uptake, he said.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-29/how-japan-smashed-the-covid-19-curve/100558404

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The COVID vaccines have been tested and approved.

They are safe and effective.

You misconstrued my reply.  I was replying to a person who said vaccines take decades.  I have been vaccinated and would encourage all to do so as well.

Yes they have been approved "for emergency use"  Normally a vaccine goes through an extensive number of years of clinical, then human trials.  The typical vaccine has between 5 and 10 years of trials.  

Are the current vaccines "safe" perhaps but what choice does a person really have.  They either take a vaccine and potentially have a side effect or they don't take the vaccine and increase their risk of contracting a life threating disease.  We won't know if the vaccines have any "long term" negatives for some years.  Hopefully they won't but even approved drugs have after years of being on the market been pulled after years of use show they had unexpected side effects. 

As said, I have had my two vaccine shots and looking to get a booster.  So I think I am safer taking the vaccine and the chances for any side effects than taking the chance of having a severe case of Covid. 

Edited by onthedarkside
image with no weblink to source removed

43 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

You misconstrued my reply.  I was replying to a person who said vaccines take decades.  I have been vaccinated and would encourage all to do so as well.

Yes they have been approved "for emergency use"  Normally a vaccine goes through an extensive number of years of clinical, then human trials.  The typical vaccine has between 5 and 10 years of trials.  

Are the current vaccines "safe" perhaps but what choice does a person really have.  They either take a vaccine and potentially have a side effect or they don't take the vaccine and increase their risk of contracting a life threating disease.  We won't know if the vaccines have any "long term" negatives for some years.  Hopefully they won't but even approved drugs have after years of being on the market been pulled after years of use show they had unexpected side effects. 

As said, I have had my two vaccine shots and looking to get a booster.  So I think I am safer taking the vaccine and the chances for any side effects than taking the chance of having a severe case of Covid. 

image.png.0df06846ca7ce5aa7e35cf11a5715776.png

The vaccine I received (Pfizer-Biotech) is fully approved.

The side effects you refer to are not showing despite now billions of inoculations.

’Typically’ is not ‘always’ and what was ‘typical’ before may no longer be so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Multiple off topic bickering posts cumulating in name calling and flames have been removed, topic is about:

Will this pandemic ever end as the infections in the UK surge again.

"Will the pandemic ever end?"

Yes of course. As I said a long while back, it will decline to endemic, and then decline further.

I've seen estimates that c 80% population vaccinated suppresses it to the point where it may be called endemic (though the definition of "endemic" can vary).

And estimates that 90-95% population vaccinated is necessary to suppress the D variant to the point that it may be called endemic.

Other people may have seen different estimates, but let's not quibble about that.

Plus natural immunity via infection suppresses the spread, and new oral medicines have been approved, and Tcell based immunity research has shown massive strides (I've linked both of these before).

None of this justifies the complacency that we have seen in some sections of western populations though, in my opinion. Masks and sensible distancing help the vaccinated as well as the unvaccinated.

It's the unvaccinated countries that we should be thinking about imho. The western promises to vaccinate the undeveloped countries is well behind plan. And it's in those countries that new and possibly more aggressive variants will emerge.

I'm fully confident in the ability of medical researchers to get us there. I'm less confident in politicians and big pharma.

Edited by blackprince
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Thanks for the heads up. It's a small study and it still hasn't passed peer review. Still as vaccine researchers point out, just because 2 inoculations needed a booster after anywhere from 4-6 months that doesn't mean that this be necessary after the booster. Anyway, there's more complete information at this link:

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/mrna-boosters-may-give-longer-lasting-protection-than-2-shots/

Comirnaty and the BioNTech formula are the same:

Question:

I've heard that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said Pfizer's Comirnaty and BioNTech formulas are distinctly different in their vaccine approval letter. Is that true?

Answer from infectious diseases pharmacist Bryan Alexander, PharmD:

No. In terms of what is contained inside the vial of each they are identical. Pfizer and BioNTech simply formally "branded" or named their vaccine Comirnaty. 

https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/you-asked-we-answered-are-pfizers-comirnaty-and-biontech-covid-19-vaccines-the-same-or-different

• Thanks 1

A long series of COVID vaccine misinformation posts and related trolling comments have been removed, along with ensuing replies.

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine that originally had Emergency Use approval from the U.S. for adults is the same vaccine for adults that now, after final approval, has been allowed to have a name change by the manufacturer to COMIRNATY.

See the following CDC advisory on that topic (bolded emphasis is from the original source):

Pfizer-BioNTech (COMIRNATY) Name Change

"Pfizer-BioNTech (COMIRNATY) received U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval on August 23, 2021, for individuals ages 16 years and older. Once vaccines are approved by the FDA, companies can market the vaccines under brand names. COMIRNATY is the brand name for the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine. After FDA approval, the FDA-authorized Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for individuals ages 16 years and older was marketed as COMIRNATY. No change was made to the vaccine’s formula with the name change.

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine label remains for individuals ages 5–15 years since the vaccine is authorized but not yet approved for this age group."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/Pfizer-BioNTech.html

• Like 1

The statistics coming out of eastern europe are not to be trusted.  For example, IMHE has a website dedicated to ascertaining genuine mortality. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/global?view=cumulative-deaths&tab=trend

Obviously there is a strong relationship between mortality and infections.

Even in western europe, different regimes for testing can result in different rates of infection.

Finally, vaccination is only one factor, albeit an important one in subduing infection. There is the issue of population density, average age of the population, level of booster shots to counter waning immunity, average household size...

Here is a link to a sstudy study  done of the effectiveness of vaccines against all kinds of aspects of covid-19 including transmissibility.

https://view-hub.org/sites/default/files/2021-11/COVID19 VE Studies_Forest Plots.pdf

A massive study done at Oxford shows that vaccines continue to protect against infection but not as well against the delta variant as compared to earlier varients.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02261-8

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 11:46 AM, catturd said:

Just so you know, Tanzania is not the only country in Africa, there are 53 more. Maybe ask your friends to help you with that.

https://www.worldometers.info/geography/how-many-countries-in-africa/

There is a direct relationship between testing levels and reported rates of infection. The more testing is done, the higher the reported rates.

This is a chart from ourworldindata.org. As you can see, nations in Africa have a far lower level of testing than do wealthy nations. In addition many nations, particularly in Africa, don't report on their testing.

image.png.88557e46a9de3343db60aa86d9d2b6bc.png

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing

You will also find discussions on the each country that makes reports and lots of other useful data.

20 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

"We won't know if the vaccines have any "long term" negatives for some years.  Hopefully they won't but even approved drugs have after years of being on the market been pulled after years of use show they had unexpected side effects."

This was something I thought might be a concern a few months ago.

I took about an hour to look into it and this is what I found.

Side effects of previous vaccines have manifested in 2 to 4 months.

The current vaccines have similar ingredients to previous vaccines.

The mRNA and spike proteins that result are degraded to their component parts in 2 to 3 weeks at most.

Drugs that have had serious side effects have been used in daily or more frequent dosages over extended periods of time, like months or years.  So they have been in the body in high concentrations constantly for long periods of time.

Vaccines are 2 to 3 doses over 6 months. So not in the body in high concentrations constantly for long periods of time.

Even known poisons and carcinogens have minimum dose and minimum exposure times under which they are not fatal or harmful.

Fears of long term effects of the vaccines are unfounded.

I have posted this info with references previously, this is not arcane specialized information so I don't feel i need to provide references again.  As the saying goes "you could look it up".

Edited by cdemundo
reason why no references provided
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cdemundo said:

"We won't know if the vaccines have any "long term" negatives for some years.  Hopefully they won't but even approved drugs have after years of being on the market been pulled after years of use show they had unexpected side effects."

This was something I thought might be a concern a few months ago.

I took about an hour to look into it and this is what I found.

Side effects of previous vaccines have manifested in 2 to 4 months.

The current vaccines have similar ingredients to previous vaccines.

The mRNA and spike proteins that result are degraded to their component parts in 2 to 3 weeks at most.

Drugs that have had serious side effects have been used in daily or more frequent dosages over extended periods of time, like months or years.  So they have been in the body in high concentrations constantly for long periods of time.

Vaccines are 2 to 3 doses over 6 months. So not in the body in high concentrations constantly for long periods of time.

Even known poisons and carcinogens have minimum dose and minimum exposure times under which they are not fatal or harmful.

Fears of long term effects of the vaccines are unfounded.

Another off topic post trying to equate prescription drug experiences with those of vaccines has been removed.

See the U.S. CDC guidance on historical vaccine side effect issues:

"Vaccine monitoring has historically shown that side effects generally happen within six weeks of receiving a vaccine dose."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/expect/after.html

• Like 2