Wanting to stay in thailand 5 months, nov to march. Best way?

8 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Unfortunately yes

You could obtain a tourist visa or even enter visa exempt and obtain a non O (based on retirement) inside Thailand at immigration.

Would require bank account in Thailand and also deposit 800k but only for day of application of non O.

You could obtain a STV.

Edited by DrJack54

55 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

available now?

Yes availability was extended.

BTW, METV is not available everywhere and does rely on border run. When borders open who knows.

When borders open the METV will be best option.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

When borders open the METV will be best option.

But it may be a long time before you will be able to just hop over the border and come back.

I would guess it will require being fully vaccinated and have a negative covid 19 test both ways before entering or reentering.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You could obtain a tourist visa or even enter visa exempt and obtain a non O (based on retirement) inside Thailand at immigration.

Would require bank account in Thailand and also deposit 800k but only for day of application of non O.

You could obtain a STV.

Is it possible to apply for a Non O when you're Visa Exempt? also I thought the 800k had to be in the bank for 2 months prior to application?

2 minutes ago, steevjee said:

Is it possible to apply for a Non O when you're Visa Exempt? also I thought the 800k had to be in the bank for 2 months prior to application?

Yes.

No, the 2 months is needed for the follow on 1 year extension, not the initial single non-O.  Just needs to be there on the day of application.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steevjee said:

You can apply for a a non-o visa at immigration with a visa exempt entry.

The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day your apply for the visa. Then when you apply for the one year extension of stay based upon regiment during the last 30 day of the 90 day entry the visa allows it will have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.  

• Like 2

Go on the Thai Embassy website London rather than listen to opinions of people that do not really know!!. Uk citizens can apply online now for the new evisa. On there is a tool that shows what is available. Put in "ordinary passport" then reason for your visit. You will see STV is not available at all now. TR is, 60+30 days, then it's the non immigration 90 day version to extend a further 90 days. that can be done in Thailand.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, steevjee said:

also I thought the 800k had to be in the bank for 2 months prior to application?

As already pointed out. The 800k only has to be in your Thai bank on day of applying for your non O.

Note that you need to show that the 800k came from o/s unless it's been in your account for some time.

26 minutes ago, Martin Brit said:

Go on the Thai Embassy website London rather than listen to opinions of people that do not really know!!. Uk citizens can apply online now for the new evisa. On there is a tool that shows what is available. Put in "ordinary passport" then reason for your visit. You will see STV is not available at all now. TR is, 60+30 days, then it's the non immigration 90 day version to extend a further 90 days. that can be done in Thailand.

The STV is still shown on the London embassy website on this page.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

You may have to be registered on the e visa site to find the STV listed after signing into it.

What you find on the home page may not be up to date or it was left off since it is not available for all the countries the e visa is used by.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris.B said:

Nothing unfortunate about that in Thailand, the ladies will still think you a handsome man! 

As for the expats, you will be be a young lad to most! ???? ????

Especially if they know you've just deposited bt800 k !

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Martin Brit said:

Put in "ordinary passport". For "Purpose of Visit", select "Duration of stay no longer than 90 days".

You can now apply for an STV!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day your apply for the visa. Then when you apply for the one year extension of stay based upon regiment during the last 30 day of the 90 day entry the visa allows it will have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.  

I am planning to do something similar but I was just wondering if the requirement for 800K in the bank two months prior to application for extension of stay can be replaced by an affidavit from the embassy (Swedish Embassy in my case) confirming that one receives at least 65k per month in pension. I know that some embassies have stopped issuing it.

Edited by Jeff Olssson
Clarification

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Can you do this at any IO? eg mine at Kalasin? I've been out of Thailand for 14 months now. Plan to return with the announced easier entry after tidying up here in Europe and seeing my family in UK over Christmas, then hope to come back starting with visa exempt, then 90 days non O ( can this be by marriage and 400 k ? I can't remember) finally 1 year marriage extension with of course 400k already in the bank for that. If necessary I can do the straight non O retirement for both the 90 days and the 1 year extension. Double the money in the bank but a much easier process!

What insurance is needed to cover these steps now? Unfortunately I have some health issues now and will be 70 years old by January next.

Thanks in advance for advice.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Any requirements for this visa?

The STV: Check the website for the Thai embassy in your country as the requirements in your country may be different from the requirements in other countries; however, In Denmark:

You need a health insurance from a Thai insurance company. This is in addition to the Covid insurance that you need for the COE/Thailand Pass.

You need a certificate from a doctor stating that you do not have leprosy and some other deceases.

Statement from the police that you do not have a criminal record.

Proof of paid accommodation for the duration of your stay.

They still list quarantine as a requirement but that may not be necessary any more.

Edited by farang51
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Can you do this at any IO? eg mine at Kalasin? I've been out of Thailand for 14 months now. Plan to return with the announced easier entry after tidying up here in Europe and seeing my family in UK over Christmas, then hope to come back starting with visa exempt, then 90 days non O ( can this be by marriage and 400 k ? I can't remember) finally 1 year marriage extension with of course 400k already in the bank for that. If necessary I can do the straight non O retirement for both the 90 days and the 1 year extension. Double the money in the bank but a much easier process!

What insurance is needed to cover these steps now? Unfortunately I have some health issues now and will be 70 years old by January next.

You can apply for a non-o visa based upon retirement or marriage to a Thai at any immigration of office. You will need 800k baht for retirement or 400k baht for  marriage on the day you apply for it.

No insurance is required for a non-o visa application of extension of stay at immigration.

You could also easily apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage that would allow a 90 day entry at a embassy or official consulate.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could also easily apply for a non-o visa based upon marriage that would allow a 90 day entry at a embassy or official consulate.

If you applied for and were granted a non-O visa based upon marriage to a Thai that is good for 90 days upon arrival in Thailand, what would be the next step to extend your stay for 4-5 months? 

1)   A 60 day tourist visa?

2)  A border run and then a 30 day visa exempt?  (might be hard in the current covid situation)

3)  Other possibilities?

5 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

If you applied for and were granted a non-O visa based upon marriage to a Thai that is good for 90 days upon arrival in Thailand, what would be the next step to extend your stay for 4-5 months? 

1)   A 60 day tourist visa?

2)  A border run and then a 30 day visa exempt?  (might be hard in the current covid situation)

3)  Other possibilities?

3.If you want a total stay of 4 to 5 months you could apply for a 60 day extension to visa your wife.

1 and 2 not practical at this time due to the borders being closed and the current entry extensions.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

3)  Other possibilities?

Bit left field but if you thought you might return again to Thailand within a year from this visit......

You could enter with non O (marriage) and obtain a 12 month extension. Would require 400k in bank for couple of months however with the addition of reentry permit could make next visit simple. All depends on longer term plans.