COVID-19 Tests, Insurance Required for Quarantine-free Visitors

webfact

249447383_10158322745837050_4068666617897632826_n-1.jpg

Fully vaccinated travelers from low-risk countries will be able to visit Thailand without serving quarantine from 1 November. Some requirements have been introduced for safety reasons, such as mandatory COVID-19 tests and travel insurance. Unvaccinated travelers will be required to quarantine for 10 days after arrival.

Fully vaccinated travelers from 45 countries and one territory will be allowed to visit the country without quarantine from next month. This group of quarantine-exempted, so-called Test and Go, travelers, must have received a full schedule of approved COVID-19 vaccines and must present a negative test result from their pre-departure COVID-19 test using the RT-PCR method.

Travelers in this group must book at least one night with a SHA Plus-certified hotel for the night of their arrival. Another RT-PCR test will be performed after arrival. Travelers will be allowed to leave their hotel rooms and travel freely within the country once the RT-PCR test result comes back negative.

Travelers in this group will be given antigen test kits to test themselves on their 6th or 7th day in Thailand.

The same testing requirements will be applied to children 12 years old and above. Testing will be exempted for children under 12 years old traveling with parents who meet all the requirements.

This quarantine-free category is applicable for travelers who have stayed in the 46 low-risk jurisdictions for 21 consecutive days prior to departure, including returning Thai nationals.

Travelers from other areas outside the lower-risk groups, and those who have not spent the required period of stay prior to departure, can arrive in Thailand at one of the Sandbox provinces, where the same vaccination and pre-departure testing requirements will be applied.

Travelers arriving at Sandbox provinces are required to book at least 7 nights of stay at one of the local SHA Plus hotels but are not required to self-isolate in their rooms. Travelers in this group will take two RT-PCR tests in Thailand - one after arrival and the other on the 7th day. These travelers will be cleared to travel beyond Sandbox provinces upon receiving a negative result from their second test.

Travelers in the Sandbox group will also need to install the Mor Chana application on their mobile phones to enable contact tracing.

Meanwhile, travelers who are not fully vaccinated are required to book a 10-day quarantine program at one of the SHA Plus hotels, and will not be allowed to leave the hotel during their quarantine period. Travelers in this group will receive an RT-PCR test on the day of arrival, and another test on the 8th or 9th day of quarantine.

All travelers are required to purchase valid travel insurance that covers medical expenses including COVID-19 treatments of up to 50,000 U.S. dollars. The previous coverage required was 100,000 U.S. dollars.

Travelers will no longer be required to apply for their Certificate of Entry with a Thai embassy or consulate. Instead, they must submit their information online on the website https://tp.consular.go.th/ seven days before their departure to obtain their Thailand Pass QR Code, which must be presented at the disease control and immigration checkpoint upon arrival.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Source: https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158322707662050

nnt.jpg

"All travelers are required to purchase valid travel insurance that covers medical expenses including COVID-19 treatments of up to 50,000 U.S. dollars. The previous coverage required was 100,000 U.S. dollars."

This seems to imply that a COVID only policy - such as shown on https://covid19.tgia.org/

is not allowed. Is that correct?

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

"All travelers are required to purchase valid travel insurance that covers medical expenses including COVID-19 treatments of up to 50,000 U.S. dollars. The previous coverage required was 100,000 U.S. dollars."

This seems to imply that a COVID only policy - such as shown on https://covid19.tgia.org/

I hope someone answers this?

this info is not accurate, outdated.

"Travelers in this group will be given antigen test kits to test themselves on their 6th or 7th day in Thailand."

That applies only to sandbox, not to test and go.

"Travelers arriving at Sandbox provinces are required to book at least 7 nights of stay at one of the local SHA Plus hotels but are not required to self-isolate in their rooms. Travelers in this group will take two RT-PCR tests in Thailand - one after arrival and the other on the 7th day"

no, the second test will be only atk.

"insurance that covers medical expenses including COVID-19 treatments of up to 50,000 U.S. dollars."

no, in excess of $50k. My covid insurance for 100k baht won't be accepted.

What they mean is not full health insurance, just covid. Same as it was since July 2020, when thailand first opened

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

Travelers in this group will be given antigen test kits to test themselves on their 6th or 7th day in Thailand.

Not seeing this in TAT's infographic, and if it is still a part of the Quarantine Free entry how does one who lives and resides here and just left for a trip out and back use the test as the OP states?  Who do we show this test to, and if we need to go somewhere is there a fee as well for the data entry and reading of the test? Confused is what I am.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not seeing this in TAT's infographic, and if it is still a part of the Quarantine Free entry how does one who lives and resides here and just left for a trip out and back use the test as the OP states?  Who do we show this test to, and if we need to go somewhere is there a fee as well for the data entry and reading of the test? Confused is what I am.

I thought this was answered somewhere yesterday. You download the result

on the Mor Prom App?

44 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Talked to my Thai Insurance Agent just a little while ago.  He indicated that those entering on an O-A, O-X, O, or a reentry permit for their extension based upon the above will need to show 100K policies, and the Covid coverage as well which some of the Thai policies include.  the 50K only applies to those on tourist visa's, STV's, VOA, and Visa Exempt, as well as having a Covid policy as well.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I thought this was answered somewhere yesterday. You download the result

on the Mor Prom App?

No place to download it on the app, it seems to have been removed from the Mor Prom App, and then the Mor Chana app only has a spot for a QR code to be read.  This is why I asked the question.  Yesterday the ATK shown on the Mor Prom app was only for those participating in the data collection, which was why I asked the question then as well.

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

the remaining citizens from some 200 countries not on the list. Also those not vaccinated.

In addition, many countries require a Thai visa only in advance.
For example, thai tourist visa in my country:
-Hotel reservations for the entire duration of the trip
-Bank statement on the availability of funds (at least 20 thousand baht)
-Certificate from work about the position and the period of vacation (now I checked and did not find this requirement anymore).
-Air tickets to both sides (with payment confirmation).
-2 visa application forms with photos
* All documents must be in English (or with an English translation certified by a notary).

Traveling to Thailand has never been too easy for me, but now this quest has become even more difficult and expensive ...

19 minutes ago, Farangus said:

In addition, many countries require a Thai visa only in advance.
For example, thai tourist visa in my country:
-Hotel reservations for the entire duration of the trip
-Bank statement on the availability of funds (at least 20 thousand baht)
-Certificate from work about the position and the period of vacation (now I checked and did not find this requirement anymore).
-Air tickets to both sides (with payment confirmation).
-2 visa application forms with photos
* All documents must be in English (or with an English translation certified by a notary).

Traveling to Thailand has never been too easy for me, but now this quest has become even more difficult and expensive ...

in comparison to pre-covid you need covid insurance and AQ or sha+ booking for 1 night (those include tests).

It's not much more difficult then before.

And less what is required from thai tourists, who got often refused visa without explanation, and no refund of some $150 payment for it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

this info is not accurate, outdated.

"Travelers in this group will be given antigen test kits to test themselves on their 6th or 7th day in Thailand."

That applies only to sandbox, not to test and go.

"Travelers arriving at Sandbox provinces are required to book at least 7 nights of stay at one of the local SHA Plus hotels but are not required to self-isolate in their rooms. Travelers in this group will take two RT-PCR tests in Thailand - one after arrival and the other on the 7th day"

no, the second test will be only atk.

"insurance that covers medical expenses including COVID-19 treatments of up to 50,000 U.S. dollars."

no, in excess of $50k. My covid insurance for 100k baht won't be accepted.

What they mean is not full health insurance, just covid. Same as it was since July 2020, when thailand first opened

Thanks for the rectifications. I must admit that you have lost me at "My covid insurance for 100k baht won't be accepted" Have you bought a specific Covid insurance like the one proposed by Itune at 15,000 baht  per year which is only valid un Thailand and for Covid alone? 

9 minutes ago, alyx said:

Thanks for the rectifications. I must admit that you have lost me at "My covid insurance for 100k baht won't be accepted" Have you bought a specific Covid insurance like the one proposed by Itune at 15,000 baht  per year which is only valid un Thailand and for Covid alone? 

no, I got covid one from dhiphaya for 850b which covers only for 100k and another one from rabbit finanse for 1100b which covers 200k cash at hand for positive test.

Today I have bought pacific maxima covering 5mln plus 1mln accident and outpatient (full cost covered) for 35k for my age group. But the biggest possible deductible - 300k.

Covers worldwide, except usa.

I have also cancelled my previous small insurance with them, I will get money back for unused

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, internationalism said:

no, I got covid one from dhiphaya for 850b which covers only for 100k and another one from rabbit finanse for 1100b which covers 200k cash at hand for positive test.

Today I have bought pacific maxima covering 5mln plus 1mln accident and outpatient (full cost covered) for 35k for my age group. But the biggest possible deductible - 300k.

Covers worldwide, except usa.

I have also cancelled my previous small insurance with them, I will get money back for unused

Thanks

The rabbit insurance seems interesting enough (on top of a regular one) as I am pretty sure that mine does not cover the asymptomatic positive test ( I cannot get a straight answer from them )

20 minutes ago, internationalism said:

in comparison to pre-covid you need covid insurance and AQ or sha+ booking for 1 night (those include tests).

It's not much more difficult then before.

And less what is required from thai tourists, who got often refused visa without explanation, and no refund of some $150 payment for it

Yes you are right. For me, the new requirements did not make the process of traveling to Thailand much more difficult. It's just that the costs have increased. And, most importantly, everything takes at least 3 weeks. Due to the fact that in my country there is no Thai consulate, but only an honorary consulate. It charges an additional fee for its services and recommends applying for a visa no later than 21 days before the flight.
By the way, Thai citizens can fly to Belarus without a visa and get it at the airport. I just have to make an invitation in advance and assure it to the Foreign Ministry.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Talked to my Thai Insurance Agent just a little while ago.  He indicated that those entering on an O-A, O-X, O, or a reentry permit for their extension based upon the above will need to show 100K policies, and the Covid coverage as well which some of the Thai policies include.  the 50K only applies to those on tourist visa's, STV's, VOA, and Visa Exempt, as well as having a Covid policy as well.

Your information is incorrect

I have entered Thailand 3 times on a O-A with COE in last 12 months, and I was never asked to show health insurance only COVID 19 related insurance

My embassy never asked for a health insurance copy, they only asked for COVID insurance.

NOTE

my O-A visa was granted inside Thailand

17 minutes ago, alyx said:

Thanks

The rabbit insurance seems interesting enough (on top of a regular one) as I am pretty sure that mine does not cover the asymptomatic positive test ( I cannot get a straight answer from them )

I got rabbit yet before the 4th wave, end of April. I think they stopped it a few days later, at the beginning of May. It was the only insurer doing cash for positive.

Same like other insurers.

Some of that covid policies don't want to pay. They have to be taken to courts.

They argue, that it was deliberate infection.

But if everything ok, I will have cover for 300k, which I am short from deductible.

I can even show those small policies to immigration, if they object my health policy

1 minute ago, internationalism said:

I got rabbit yet before the 4th wave, end of April. I think they stopped it a few days later, at the beginning of May.

Same like other insurers.

Some of that covid policies don't want to pay. They have to be taken to courts.

They argue, that it was deliberate infection.

But if everything ok, I will have cover for 300k, which I am short from deductible.

I can even show those small policies to immigration, if they object my health policy

noted with thanks again : ) 

But is it a 50 (or 100k) COVID policy or a general insurance policy that includes COVID? In other words, can the liusted COVID policies still be used?

BTW I think your agent may be wrong re people entering on O re-entry permits. Only COVID insurance has been required for that for some time.

27 minutes ago, bolt said:

Your information is incorrect

I have entered Thailand 3 times on a O-A with COE in last 12 months, and I was never asked to show health insurance only COVID 19 related insurance

My embassy never asked for a health insurance copy, they only asked for COVID insurance.

NOTE

my O-A visa was granted inside Thailand

Is your O-A based on being married or retired, that's where the difference is as of October 31, 2019, and has been a topic of discussion since as it is required for the annual extension of stay. If retired then it's needed, if based on marriage it is not. Better check again Sir 

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

But is it a 50 (or 100k) COVID policy or a general insurance policy that includes COVID? In other words, can the liusted COVID policies still be used?

BTW I think your agent may be wrong re people entering on O re-entry permits. Only COVID insurance has been required for that for some time.

He Indicated it appeared it would all be rolled up eventually to all visa classes, but those based on retirement like mine would stillness it.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

correct. see todays bangkok post for further reference, even last weeks quoting the gov't senior spokeswoman. 

He Indicated it appeared it would all be rolled up eventually to all visa classes, but those based on retirement like mine would stillness it.

Should have read still need it at the end of my last sentence. Sorry about that.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It is as he said a combination of the 100K policy, and a Covid policy, now can they be combined like mine is with PCH as my policy for health also covers Covid, yes they can.  As far as the O entering for the first time they will need the insurance as well as the Covid cover.  What i tried to convey but it got confusing is that if the Re-entry permit based on an initial O Visa it is as you said, but if not a re-entry the Health insurance is needed. As I said he indicated that eventually all visa categories will need insurance for health, and this was confirmed by a contact I have at the Los Angeles Consulate.  It appears that Covid has created a slow roll-up. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks, that is the clearest I have seen so far. So all the prior COVID only policies on the tgia website will no longer be accepted. The insurance companies must be in an uproar.

I've only got the 850 THB covid only, wooden pallet in a corridor cover. And wasn't there at one time a requirement for in patient of 40k THB, out patient 400k cover?

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

I've only got the 850 THB covid only, wooden pallet in a corridor cover. And wasn't there at one time a requirement for in patient of 40k THB, out patient 400k cover?

The 850 baht policies are for people already residing in Thailand, not people newly entering the country.

The 400/40 requirement was for the O-A visa. It is still listed as a requirement for the O-A and O-X visas on many Embassy websites, which is of course quite confusing given that there is a requirement for a $50,000 policy to enter the country.....

• Thanks 1