Retirement Visa (O) renewal timing question

Hello,

I will soon be applying to extend my retirement O visa for the first time (at CW) after 1 year and am planning a trip home after renewal is complete.

Can any person help with some advice?

I have money in bank as required (I never let it decrease to below 800K). 

How soon before expiration of extension can I apply? I read some people say 30 days and some people say 45 days.

How long does process take? I go to CW to apply. Do they give extension same day? Or do I go return on future date to get receive stamp? (If I go back, is it typically 1 week? 2 weeks? More?)   I need to make flight arrangements and need to plan accordingly.

Anything else I should know about doing my first 1 year extension?

Thank you kindly for your advice.

• Like 1

CW up to 45 days prior.

You will receive extension same day you apply.

Be aware of all the requirements such as bank letter, TM7 form with photo etc, etc. 

Photocopies of required pages of passport etc.

Since your going to exit and return you will need to purchase a reentry permit.

Can be obtained same visit at CW or at airport when your departing. 1000 single and 3800 multiple.

Extension is 1900baht. 

Link to report of extension.

Not appointments currently unavailable.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1178531-2020-bkk-cw-retirement-extension-trip-report/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Thank you Doctor Jack for a good and accurate summary relating to the OP.

This year, my situation is a quite different for the annual renewal of my extension of stay on the " O (Retirement)" Visa issued in 2014.

My current "Non-Imm O (Retirement)" Visa Extension of Stay expires on 25 July 2022. Subject to travel restrictions being eased etc, I will be visiting extended family in 2022. If God wills it, I expect to depart Thailand for Australia in late February, with June-July as time in Europe/UK and then in Canada for August/Sept with me back home in Thailand during October 2022.

I will be absent from Thailand from March to October with the Extension of Stay due for renewal on 25 July 2022 at Jomtien.

What are the options and processes involved, for example:-

- I doubt it, but can I renew at Jomtien 5 months early before I leave in Feb 2022?

- Is it possible to do an extension of stay through a Thai Embassy or Consulate in the UK or Europe in June, July?

- Can I return to Thailand in October on a single entry or Visa on arrival, and then go to Jomtien Immigration and patch in a 12 month extension of stay on my "O (Retirement)" Visa originally issued in 2014?

I see Thailand as my home and my wife and I were married in 2014. I have 14-year-old stepson (her birth son). I have always met the financial requirements by having over 800K THB sitting in a designated savings account.

Many thanks for your wisdom, contributions and thoughts. 

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your correct in that you need "start over again" but it's easy.

You already have money in the Thai bank etc.

Just return visa exempt or setv and obtain non O (retirement) at immigration. You will need 800k on day of application.

That gives you a 90 day permission of stay. Have the 800k in the bank for 2 months and obtain your 12 month extension.

Small bit of mucking around but not difficult.

Enjoy Oz. 

Add in Covid insurance, US$50K coverage.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Just return visa exempt or setv and obtain non O (retirement) at immigration. You will need 800k on day of application.

That gives you a 90 day permission of stay. Have the 800k in the bank for 2 months and obtain your 12 month extension.

Enjoy Oz. 

I am in Samui and have been for over 20 years. i think the immigration rules differ from province to province . i have had the 800.00- in my Thai bank for over 10 years i put in a deposit account that makes interest. back in April i transferred the interest into another account still leaving the 800k . visa expired 30 sept 2021 . so they insisted it had to be in for a min. 1 year and i had to get letter of guarantee from head office plus 1 year statement. yet on the requirement form it only ask for a 3 month statement. the 800k had been in since April 2021     7 months 

52 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I am in Samui and have been for over 20 years. i think the immigration rules differ from province to province . i have had the 800.00- in my Thai bank for over 10 years i put in a deposit account that makes interest. back in April i transferred the interest into another account still leaving the 800k . visa expired 30 sept 2021 . so they insisted it had to be in for a min. 1 year and i had to get letter of guarantee from head office plus 1 year statement. yet on the requirement form it only ask for a 3 month statement. the 800k had been in since April 2021     7 months 

Think I follow.

When you apply for an extension the io will look at your bank account for the previous 12 months.

He/She is checking that you maintained minimum 800k for 3 months post your last extension. Thereafter not below 400k and then back up to 800k+ two months prior to attending immigration for you next extension.

Some offices have for some reason been asking for 12 month Bank Statements rather than just the record of balances as shown in your bank book.

Of course you also need the bank letter from your bank which basically just verifies that the account is yours.

CW as just one example does not require statements.

Personally, I keep 800k+ all year round in a dedicated bank account. I don't use it apart for extension purposes.

Think that's becoming popular option.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

So does it then run for 12 months from the day you apply or from when the previous extension expires please?

From end of previous extension.

No loss of days by going early.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

So does it then run for 12 months from the day you apply or from when the previous extension expires please?

You lose no days from applying for a retirement extension early, your 12 months will start from the date your current retirement extension ends.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Enjoy Oz. 

Thank you and most appreciated, cheers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Think I follow.

When you apply for an extension the io will look at your bank account for the previous 12 months.

He/She is checking that you maintained minimum 800k for 3 months post your last extension. Thereafter not below 400k and then back up to 800k+ two months prior to attending immigration for you next extension.

Some offices have for some reason been asking for 12 month Bank Statements rather than just the record of balances as shown in your bank book.

Of course you also need the bank letter from your bank which basically just verifies that the account is yours.

CW as just one example does not require statements.

Personally, I keep 800k+ all year round in a dedicated bank account. I don't use it apart for extension purposes.

Think that's becoming popular option.

yes the previous  year they did not ask for a 1 year statement. I gave them all they asked for on the requirement paper and was no problem this year i gave them all the paperwork copies passport bank letter statement 3 months copies of my currant account google map hand map ,med certificate, they said i could not draw on the 800k at all and have to show a full year statement on the 800k  luck the manger was good and rushed me through the paper they asked a letter of guarantee plus a 1 year year statement, I think possible as its in a deposit account and not the normal blue book currant account ? thank you for the reply 

2 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

yes the previous  year they did not ask for a 1 year statement. I gave them all they asked for on the requirement paper and was no problem this year i gave them all the paperwork copies passport bank letter statement 3 months copies of my currant account google map hand map ,med certificate, they said i could not draw on the 800k at all and have to show a full year statement on the 800k  luck the manger was good and rushed me through the paper they asked a letter of guarantee plus a 1 year year statement, I think possible as its in a deposit account and not the normal blue book currant account ? thank you for the reply 

PS the 800k has never been touched apart from transferring the interest and its made quite a good return the problem was they gave me a new book back in April with another account number . 

On 10/29/2021 at 4:17 PM, DrJack54 said:

CW up to 45 days prior.

You will receive extension same day you apply.

Be aware of all the requirements such as bank letter, TM7 form with photo etc, etc. 

Photocopies of required pages of passport etc.

Since your going to exit and return you will need to purchase a reentry permit.

Can be obtained same visit at CW or at airport when your departing. 1000 single and 3800 multiple.

Extension is 1900baht. 

Link to report of extension.

Not appointments currently unavailable.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1178531-2020-bkk-cw-retirement-extension-trip-report/

Thank you Dr Jack.  Very appreciate the information!

On 10/30/2021 at 6:25 PM, ubonjoe said:
On 10/30/2021 at 5:54 PM, aqua4 said:

The Covid cover, Is that only for retirement or for marriage visa as well? 

It is required for all entries to the country. Your visa or extension of stay type does no matter.

I take it this means I need proof of Covid insurance to apply for extension of stay based on retirement (will be going to CW in Jan.). If so, what docs do they want to see? I have April health insurance which covers Covid I know.

25 minutes ago, Why Me said:

I take it this means I need proof of Covid insurance to apply for extension of stay based on retirement (will be going to CW in Jan.). If so, what docs do they want to see? I have April health insurance which covers Covid I know.

You do not need coivid insurance to apply for any extension of stay.

It is only needed when entering the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/29/2021 at 4:17 PM, DrJack54 said:

CW up to 45 days prior

How do they count these 45 days? 

If I have permission of stay until July 1st, can I apply for extension on May 18? (or do they include July 1st in the 45 days, so I can apply only at May 19?)

And do these 45 days also apply for the first extension for retirement of a non-Imm O visa? (as opposed to the yearly renewal)

Edited by Lorry

3 minutes ago, Lorry said:

How do they count these 45 days? 

If I have permission of stay until July 1st, can I apply for extension on May 18? (or do they include July 1st in the 45 days, so I can apply only at May 19?)

They have discretion.

If someone applied 45+1 early most likely they would process the extension.

Can be more early if for example show immigration office flight out of Thailand etc. 

On 10/29/2021 at 10:13 PM, nightbird said:

Add in Covid insurance, US$50K coverage.

Do you need covid-insurance of $50K to convert from tourist/exemption entry to Non-O retirement? Covid insurance to enter the country is only $10K

Edited by Onerak

12 minutes ago, Onerak said:

Do you need covid-insurance of $50K to convert from tourist/exemption entry to Non-O retirement? Covid insurance to enter the country is only $10K

No there are two times when health insurance coverage is needed.  One when entering Thailand and that is now the $10K coverage you mentioned.  Two is when you apply for an extension of stay based on a Non-OA (note the A, it is significant).  There is no insurance required to apply for an extension of stay based on a Non-O (note the absence of the A).

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They have discretion.

If someone applied 45+1 early most likely they would process the extension.

Can be more early if for example show immigration office flight out of Thailand etc. 

Thanks.

I once did it exactly 45 days early,  both the recepionist and the IO meticulously counted  the days, but i forgot how they counted. 

I suppose its the same 45 days rule for the first extension?

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

Two is when you apply for an extension of stay based on a Non-OA (note the A, it is significant).  There is no insurance required to apply for an extension of stay based on a Non-O (note the absence of the A).

I know but Non-OA insurance is 100k USD now, I think. I used to get non O-A when there was no insurance requirements before 2019. When they started requiring insurance, I switched to an agent assisted extension for 15K BAHT (2020/2021 in Pattaya). They don't require any insurance or TM30 or 90-day report and all such nonsense. Found it the most relaxing way to get my extension. I simply refuse to bring and park 800K THB in Thailand for my 6-month stay in Thailand. When in Thailand I just bring 500 USD every week for my expenses. Now I am in the USA and planning to go to Thailand in July and convert it to a Non-O first and then an extension. I'm not sure how much the agents are charging for conversion now. May be another 15K on top of extension for 15K. But still I will be ahead financially for and a hassle free extension that is good for 12-months. 800K parked in S&P 500 index fund gave me almost 10% return (except this year of course I-Bonds are giving me 9.6% return this year) in the last decade. Parking in a Thai bank with all the accompanying hassle of getting an extension at the immigration is not my cup of tea. I always try to avoid immigration at Thailand and, in fact, don't remember ever going to an immigration office in my 20-year stay in Thailand. Always prefer agents, even for buying and selling cars/motorcycles. 

Edited by Onerak