New Laptop

lelapin

I am looking to buy a new laptop in Pattaya. In addition to obviously wanting someone who offers a competitive price and good after sales service, I would like somewhere that is able to discuss in English with me what models have the features I am looking for.

6 hours ago, lelapin said:

I would like somewhere that is able to discuss in English with me what models have the features I am looking for.

If you know what features you are looking for, what is there to discuss?  

Buy online.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pattaya-2-U will build you a desktop or laptop to your own specifications, and offers free lifetime follow-up care. Very competitive prices, and the boss speaks good English. They're a well-known firm that's been in business since before I arrived here 17 years ago, so they're obviously doing something right. I'm very happy with their service and products, anyway. They're in a street behind TukCom, just Google their name to find the exact location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Henryford said:

Unless you have special requirements the available models all show their specs. An i5, 8gb ram and 500 gb SSD is fine for most people. I buy Acer via Lazada for the best price. Always been happy.

That sounds about the right spec for me with 3 X USB and HDMI. Does it come with a genuine Windows from Lazada?

Edited by lelapin

15 minutes ago, lelapin said:

That sounds about the right spec for me with 3 X USB and HDMI. Does it come with a genuine Windows from Lazada?

Yes they do just make sure you buy from a store with plenty of positive scores and reports. Like Lax-mall or We smart on Line. Not a new one with a next to zero score.

Example Lazmall advert - AcerAspire Vero i5-1155G7 with Windows 11 15.6in 8gb and 512gb 21,000 baht.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2021 at 2:58 PM, lelapin said:

How easy will it be to transfer all my Word / Xcell / Favs etc from my old computer to my new one if I stick with Windows software.

As long as your have Microsoft Office loaded on new laptop it is very easy, I suggest you have the hard drive partitioned from outset and place your files on separate part to operating system.

5 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

As long as your have Microsoft Office loaded on new laptop it is very easy, I suggest you have the hard drive partitioned from outset and place your files on separate part to operating system.

I ended up buying  an Acer and as you say it was easy to transfer the files over. I thought I bought a machine with 512 GB storage SSD  but when I checked the computer when I got home it said

image.png.035b1327f842e4fd2dfaf4247eb7c976.png

Is this correct?

18 hours ago, lelapin said:

I ended up buying  an Acer and as you say it was easy to transfer the files over. I thought I bought a machine with 512 GB storage SSD  but when I checked the computer when I got home it said

Is this correct?

That was a good shop! He has already partitioned your hard drive.  (ie split into two parts)

Acer are quite good and in my opinion, reliable.

Remember to transfer files to "Data D" partition.

(You always lose some GB's for memory system etc, thats why the differences)

If not, copy over. that way if your laptop ever needs re-booting etc, then only Acer C will be wiped clean in normal cicumstances.

Remember to buy a laptop fan, ie the type that sit under the laptop, it will keep the laptop cooler and stop dust getting inside etc.

Edited by Pdavies99

Many thanks for that useful info. You suggest then that I transfer all my existing  Xcell and Word files to Data D and maybe photos too. Do I ensure that all new  ones I create go to Data  D as well by moving the documents file.

Edited by lelapin

My preference is Asus computers. I would also recommend that you purchase a computer that might have Windows 11 loaded already. If not, be absolutely certain that the laptop that you're buying is upgradeable.

If you purchase a computer the best that you can possibly afford hopefully it will last you anywhere between 5 to 8 years depending on how you treat it and the model that you purchase.

Personally, I never skimp when it comes to computers. If you plan on spending a lot of time on it then I would recommend that you do the same. Buy what you can afford.

4 minutes ago, lelapin said:

Many thanks for that useful info. You suggest then that I transfer all my existing  Xcell and Word files to Data D and maybe photos too. How do I ensure that all new  ones I create go to Data  D as well.

You could move the folders "pictures", desktop","documents", "music", "videos" and "downloads" to d: \

You'll find them originally at C:\user\.....\

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 10:43 PM, lelapin said:

Is this correct?

Bit late now but you could of made the C partition 100gb smaller and D 100gb bigger...............keep all your music/pics and movies etc on D partition...............windows is located on C if it ever becomes corrupt you can reinstall it without losing any documents

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 10:15 AM, lelapin said:

Many thanks for that useful info. You suggest then that I transfer all my existing  Xcell and Word files to Data D and maybe photos too. Do I ensure that all new  ones I create go to Data  D as well by moving the documents file.

Always best to save anything on "Data D" Yes also save new ones to "Data D" as well.

As an extra back up I suggest you copy to an external memory stick / drive or save on "Cloud or dropbox"

Edited by Pdavies99
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 6:04 PM, toolpush said:

Once you go Mac, you never go back

Just ordered a new M1 Pro MacBook 14, will take delivery first week December. I am getting the 10-core base model with 32GB ram. Pricey though.

Looked at the MacBook Air too and while it is a very nice machine I wanted the extra power in the new pro.

• Like 1

I am a long time Windows / Android user but....

The new Macbook Pros with the M1 processors smoke anything Intel or AMD can currently provide in a laptop.

Even the MOST powerful Windows laptops cannot compete with the new MacBook Pros. They run hotter, noisier, slower, have much poorer battery life and throttle power when unplugged. MacBooks run full power all the time even when unplugged. The build quality of Apple products is far better than most of the Windows equivalents and the screens are better. 

If you have to run Windows apps run Parallel VM on MacOS. 

The only reason for buying a Windows laptop over a Macbook at the moment would be budget and touchscreen. 

2 minutes ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

One thing great about Apple products is everything is backed up in the cloud.

So when you get a new item to replace to old item it is all automatic.

Yes, apple is more expensive but I am not buying new computers as often.

They hold their value and can actually be resold too.

To add to what I said above, the only other reason to buy a Windows machine would be if you want to play games. Loads more games available on Windows.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They hold their value and can actually be resold too.

To add to what I said above, the only other reason to buy a Windows machine would be if you want to play games. Loads more games available on Windows.

Yes, you can actually take it in to the apple store or even enter the serial number online and get a credit for it which is applied to your new purchase.

Apple is amazing.

I actually have all Apple products except for one DELL laptop I use to prepare taxes. The software I use is not available for MAC.

I used to use an Apple for this too, but the parallels program at the time crashed and I almost lost an entire years worth of records, as I did not have it backed up yet.

Parallels is much better now but I am still a little gun shy I must admit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

One thing great about Apple products is everything is backed up in the cloud.

So when you get a new item to replace to old item it is all automatic.

Yes, apple is more expensive but I am not buying new computers as often.

Windows also utilises "Cloud"  And backs up etc, alternatively Dropbox, Google etc.

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The only reason for buying a Windows laptop over a Macbook at the moment would be budget and touchscreen. 

Would add common sense - if you don't need it - kind of hard to justify buying it - and very few need it.