Would you trust a business that only has a Facebook page and not a proper website?

The Hammer2021

I suppose I would be apprehensive. Ideally a business would have both a Facebook presence to drive traffic to a web page. Interestingly, in the US, over 10% of small businesses have no website. That said, if the business is not doing online merchandising, it might consider a website less than useful.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

Easier to close, cut and run.

I think you will find websites are Easier to close, cut and run.

How to Determine if a Website is a Fake, Fraud or Scam – updated for 2020

https://blog.webnames.ca/how-to-determine-if-a-website-is-a-fake-fraud-or-scam/

Many websites have no contact details , no address or if a address is listed it turns out to moorland in the middle of nowhere

Regardless if a business operates on a website only operation or a facebook page operation due diligence is required

If they are offering a product 50% lower than everyone else or a product that only they have stock no they have no feedback be aware

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I think you will find websites are Easier to close, cut and run.

How to Determine if a Website is a Fake, Fraud or Scam – updated for 2020

https://blog.webnames.ca/how-to-determine-if-a-website-is-a-fake-fraud-or-scam/

Many websites have no contact details , no address or if a address is listed it turns out to moorland in the middle of nowhere

Regardless if a business operates on a website only operation or a facebook page operation due diligence is required

If they are offering a product 50% lower than everyone else or a product that only they have stock no they have no feedback be aware

Due diligence lol.

TBH I buy very little online. I press my wife to do the same.

Simple, low cost, unbranded purchases. The scams, counterfeiting and outright theft all quite common here.

Thai government now putting up an office to monitor. It will be worthless but they're waking up to the problems.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

Due diligence lol.

TBH I buy very little online. I press my wife to do the same.

Simple, low cost, unbranded purchases. The scams, counterfeiting and outright theft all quite common here.

Thai government now putting up an office to monitor. It will be worthless but they're waking up to the problems.

scams occur worldwide not just exclusively to Thailand, many times I have seen listings on a well known US/UK website where the seller is selling a phone at an unbelievable low starting price and you see lots of people bidding on those items , it only when you read the listing in detail and you find out their not selling a phone , their selling the box of the phone.

Over here on well known sales sites if no feedback, doesn't accept COD or has few followers or has only created their selling page 10 days ago are all warning signs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The way I understand it Thai businesses do what Thai people do.

Lots of information only on fb. And often communication only with LINE.

Because somehow some people think everybody likes to use fb and LINE all the time.

and google translate if perfect for communication and supporting a lasting relationship

I actually sat in a Big C food court and tried to explain VIA her phone that this concept would not work...she did give me a small tin elephant tho....

Depends on the business.   Lots of small or family sideline business just have a facebook page and not a proper website, because they understand facebook better and can get information across more easily, while also connecting to customers' facebook accounts for future communications (marketing) if they are thinking ahead.  It's a step up from buying from someone with just a craigslist ad or similar.

But I would not buy anything of much value online (where they ship the product) from someone with just a facebook page.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I buy from a thai company that just uses Facebook and Line for sales, you can see they have 10s of 1000s of likes, also you buy cash on delivery, so yes I would trust some companies after basic checks.

Websites are often out of date so can't trust them 100%

I'm a big buyer of stuff online. Pretty much every week of my life I buy at least something online. I have never bought anything from a business based on Facebook. I wonder what I'm missing out on?

40 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I'm a big buyer of stuff online. Pretty much every week of my life I buy at least something online. I have never bought anything from a business based on Facebook. I wonder what I'm missing out on?

Some buyers seem to be avoiding lazada and Shopee to avoid fees presumably, the seller i use is cheaper on Facebook

I cant recall the last time I used a business with a stand alone website, that model doesn't really exist nowadays.

Business's have a page, shop etc on shopping sites, Lazada, Amazon. Hotels have a listing on booking sites, airlines on travel sites etc.

Business's advertise on social media, FB, insta, youtube etc, then they direct you to their online retailer page.

Nowadays websites are more for customer service, warranty, user guides, etc.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Some buyers seem to be avoiding lazada and Shopee to avoid fees presumably, the seller i use is cheaper on Facebook

Shipping fees? As far as prices are concerned, there's usually a huge selection to shift through, at many price levels. I use Lazada a lot, and AliExpress if the prices are too high, usually with free shipping to Thailand, but a longer wait.

3 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Shipping fees? As far as prices are concerned, there's usually a huge selection to shift through, at many price levels. I use Lazada a lot, and AliExpress if the prices are too high, usually with free shipping to Thailand, but a longer wait.

The sellers I'm referring to are usually sponsored ads on Facebook, so they pop up, I didn't find them on marketplace. I found that another retailer was selling on Lazada at a mark up plus was out of stock, then i stumbled on the actual manufacturer. Postage is either included if you buy 2 items or 60 baht from memory

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The sellers I'm referring to are usually sponsored ads on Facebook, so they pop up, I didn't find them on marketplace. I found that another retailer was selling on Lazada at a mark up plus was out of stock, then i stumbled on the actual manufacturer. Postage is either included if you buy 2 items or 60 baht from memory

I'm not often on Facebook and I have an add blocker. If I'm looking for an expensive item, I shop around.

11 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Majority of small  businesses in Thailand only have a  Facebook page, easier to create and maintain and update and doesn't require expensive IT support to maintain and update on their timeline not the business owners timeline, that and  expensive hosting  and domain name fees.

For people that choose to not use businesses that have a facebook presence only that their choice but in doing  so they have to understand they might not be getting the best deal that is available.

A basic professional looking website can be done for about 7k baht and requires no maintenance except renewing domain name every two years.

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I buy from Facebook pages, cash transfer to their account.

Never had a problem ......... so far.

Not from sponsored ADs though, they all look like scammers to me.

It's not a matter of fraud/ dishonesty/ distrust to me but distrust of the companies' lack of professionalism. By all means companies can have an FB page and Instagram and Twitter but these are also time wasting toys. FB is rapidly being deserted by many people. I feel a business, out of respect for potential customers should have a real web site accessible to all.