Have Bankgok Bank account but they're not allowing me to use mobile or online banking, and ATM machine direct acct transfers don't work - any solutions for transferring money to Thais domestically?

I have to go to the ATM and pull out cash every time I need to pay a Thai person for anything. PITA because Bangkok Bank apparently won't allow foreigners to use online or mobile banking, and even at the ATM machine, I am unable to process direct account transfers. Is there a solution or workaround? As a foreigner I'm also not able to use Grab Wallet. I use TransferWise/Wise to bring money into Thailand but unfortunately, it cannot be used as far as I can tell to make domestic transfers within Thailand (from my Thai bank account to another Thai bank account). 

For those of you with Bangkok Bank, how do you transfer money domestically to another person here without having to pull out physical cash and hand over the physical cash?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Thats what Bkk bank staff do as an excuse not to help you or not do something they dont understand. God forbid cant go ask someone or make a call. I have had online banking with them 8 years but also ran into the same problems with them until I found a branch with a decent contact. Having said that theyre online banking / apps unreliable, sometimes off the air for a day or more hence I recently moved all my bigger money to SCB. They are much more progressive and helpful. I always feel like the other bank somehow thinks they are doing you a favour holding onto your money, or in their minds THEIR money. 

• Confused 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Thats what Bkk bank staff do as an excuse not to help you or not do something they dont understand. God forbid cant go ask someone or make a call. I have had online banking with them 8 years but also ran into the same problems with them until I found a branch with a decent contact. Having said that theyre online banking / apps unreliable, sometimes off the air for a day or more hence I recently moved all my bigger money to SCB. They are much more progressive and helpful. I always feel like the other bank somehow thinks they are doing you a favour holding onto your money, or in their minds THEIR money. 

I should clarify something, Bangkok Bank said that I can't use mobile or online banking unless I have a work permit. I don't have a work permit because I'm going to be here on a marriage visa and don't work for a Thai company.

Is there anything in Thailand similar to Venmo or Paypal that will just allow me to connect my Thai bank account to an app which can send other people direct money transfers? Maybe Grab Wallet but that doesn't allow foreigners, so anything else?

1 minute ago, wml22 said:

I should clarify something, Bangkok Bank said that I can't use mobile or online banking unless I have a work permit.

@Kenny202 To clarify, are you saying that you found a Bangkok Bank branch that let you have mobile and online banking without a work permit? Would you mind sharing which branch it was?

Edited by wml22

18 minutes ago, wml22 said:

@Kenny202 To clarify, are you saying that you found a Bangkok Bank branch that let you have mobile and online banking without a work permit? Would you mind sharing which branch it was?

As others said yes, and I do mind sharing. What you seem to have to do with Bkk bank is keep going to branches until you find one that is helpful. I was told by 2 branches they didnt have a foreign currency account. Then one who knew and did it immediately. Even K bank at one stage told me foreigners need to open an account with 500k plus, or the particular branch did. 

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 1

I have been here 18 years on a retirement visa and the last few years a marriage visa (extensions).  I have had Bangkok Bank accounts, and online banking since day one. Two accounts opened at Doi Saket Branch in the last two years, and two at Romchok branch before that.  Also a foreign currency account. Never a problem opening the account and all online.  I am told that there is a knowledgeable manager at Bangkok Bank located in Airport Plaza who seems to help foreigners with their immigration issues.  He may be an additional source to help if convenient for you.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wml22 said:

I don't mind. I use the branch either inside Big C Pattaya Klang or the branch just up the street from them. It took me a couple of weeks to set up the online portion, they kept "losing" the paperwork. I just kept going back, always smiled, always joked around, and it finally got set up.

36 minutes ago, wml22 said:

I should clarify something, Bangkok Bank said that I can't use mobile or online banking unless I have a work permit. I don't have a work permit because I'm going to be here on a marriage visa and don't work for a Thai company.

Is there anything in Thailand similar to Venmo or Paypal that will just allow me to connect my Thai bank account to an app which can send other people direct money transfers? Maybe Grab Wallet but that doesn't allow foreigners, so anything else?

Where do you live? 

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Have you tried doing the online registration for I banking?

https://ibanking.bangkokbank.com/Register/SignUp.aspx

I don't have a work permit. I have had I banking since the day I opened the account and got a debit card. Just walked out to a ATM back then and got a temporary pin number to register.

Thanks, this was a good suggestion. I get an error message: "Sorry, your profile information is not complete. Please contact a Bangkok Bank branch for Bualuang iBanking registration. For further assistance, please call Bualuang Phone at 1333 or +66 (0) 2645 5555. (-197)"

I am going to try calling them to see if the process can be completed after calling. But I expect they'll tell me I have to go in to a bank branch because whoever set up my account didn't do it fully or properly to enable this process.

24 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Have you downloaded and installed the app from play store and then registered for online banking at the atm with bank card, tel number and pin codes?

I'll try this as well, thanks, when I go to the bank branch. It seems that I will have to go there since the online portal set-up isn't working.

I am on a non O based on retirement. I have both internet and mobile banking. Also registered for Prompt Pay, which might be useful for you to pay money direct to Thais.

I'm not 100% certain, but you might be able to register for internet banking via ATM. If you can't register in your local branch, then  maybe try another branch. But if as you say, your profile is incomplete, you need to find out exactly what information is either missing or required.

Maybe try calling 1333 for help.

Other than that, maybe even open a new account in another branch.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, wml22 said:

I use mobilea nd online banking since years with BKK Bank Banglamung Branch and without a work permit.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try another branch of BB, sometimes staff just lazy or think talking with a farang is to hard or they are misinformed about what they can do. I have had a BB refuse to change money for me Have a BB account, I just argued nicely with them pointing out they are a bank, they do operate an exchange service, they asked if I was a BB customer said yes, they asked if I will deposit the exchanged money into my account, I said no as am going shopping. With great relutance they exchanged the money. I also have a Kasikorn account which has online banking, able to pay bills and able to transfer money to other banks. Better bank. Recommend them highly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wml22 said:

Just download the app and use it! I never interact with bank staff. I use krungsri yellow bank.

• Like 1