A reminder why Thailand is such a great place to live

PizzaBoi

1 hour ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Dude, you're the one who brought it up. 

Owning a plot of land and a house on it all yours is a bad idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you can do that in the uk, 

Thailand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO

So get it now Dude

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Lets assume for a moment the cost of living would be the same in Thailand and "home". Would you prefer to be "home"?

For me the cold weather, ugly women and all those restrictions back home are reason enough to avoid it. I wouldn't want to live there even if would make a lot more money over there.

I Think Thailand only has two things to offer now days.

Hot weather

and Hot box

The rest is overrated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

Not to the Toilets 

I've been to quite a number of Wetherspoons up and down the country when working away from home. Never needed to complain about the state of the toilets.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Can you find me a 3 bedroom detached house (good neighbourhood only, (not next door to a crack house) in the UK for 2Mbht?

Can you find one in Chiang Mai for 2Mbht. If so I would be very interested in it.

28 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

Which part of Canada are you from? As a Vancouverite one of the things that I've always found best about Bangkok was the great real estate value.

Even if i just considered a simple rent-to-rent comparison, the same amount of money would get me hilariously more in BKK than YVR.

People from Hong Kong also find Vancouver a great real estate value. 

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Cost of living ... across the board, exactly the same, then no, I wouldn't have even looked elsewhere to retire, though a different place in the USA than where I was, as bored with it.

For me, it's RE Taxes, available healthcare, and cost of.  Get rid of those 2 issues in USA, and ...IF... I can holiday anywhere in the country for same price as Thailand, why would I leave.  Plenty of places to retire back in USA.

Weather never an issue, and actually enjoy the change of seasons, along with if wanting warm, live in the south of USA.  Way too big, and if you can't find a place that suits, then it isn't the location that's the problem.

But there are so many Americans over there ... ???? 

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

This is really a sad comparison.

So the price of Chinese takeout and rent is cheaper. But the wages are also higher in UK. I'm sure people don't work there for 350 baht an hour.

Prices in Bangkok are not 40 pounds a night in a 5 star hotel. These are covid prices. Hilton and other known chains used to cost 100 pounds per night. It this continues soon there won't be any hotels left which I am really not looking forward to. Because when there is less competition the price goes up and the quality drops, especially here. 

The whole post is about prices, but when I go to Canada I find the prices of quality food cheaper than in Thailand. The only thing more expensive is rent and transport. But even that is debatable as rent in nicer Bangkok condos is actually more expensive if you do 1:1 comparison. Many condos here are boxes with no real kitchen, no bathtub and zero closet space. You want that you have to rent a premium Bangkok condo which goes for well over 2000 pounds a month unless you rent in old building full of cockroaches.

There can't be any comparison between Thailand and Canada...the Canadian summer is 1 week, the Thai summer is 52 weeks... I have a friend who used to live in Edmonton(Deadmonton), I can't figure out how anyone voluntarily would go and live there.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But there are so many Americans over there ... ???? 

Not really, not per capita to USA population.

Consider tourist arrivals pre-covid, USA & UK about the same, 1 mill a year, but USA has almost 5X the population.

2019 stats (000s), and arrivals in same ballpark as USA, but much less population.

pop.png

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, gearbox said:

There can't be any comparison between Thailand and Canada...the Canadian summer is 1 week, the Thai summer is 52 weeks... I have a friend who used to live in Edmonton(Deadmonton), I can't figure out how anyone voluntarily would go and live there.

Stabmonton. Winterpeg. Scarberia. Bramladesh..... Need I go on?

5 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Moving day. From BKK, 400kms to my house.

One (filled to the brim)  box truck, driver who helped load, gas, door-to-door: ฿3250.

Said no passengers allowed, held out ฿200, and he smiled and said, get in.

Saw my dog, said, oh, no, cannot! Another ฿300 and we were on our way.

Try that in the UK or US.....

Yeah love it..... 

• Like 1