Permanent Resident re.Entry

As a Permanent Resident I would like to know , if I go overseas for a short while., would I be subject to the same re-entry requirements as Tourists or would I be classed the same as a Thai NationaI? Specifically would I need to have the US $50 Covid / Health Insurance policy.? I am 76 years old and if I need the Policy I would not be granted a Policy by any Insurance Company and I would therefore be effectively  unable to travel overseas 

I have worked and lived in Thailand for 30 years..Thailand is my home.

Any information will be appreciated.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pimoo2 said:

I am 76 years old and if I need the Policy I would not be granted a Policy by any Insurance Company

I'm sure that you have looked into it carefully. 

I was under impression that covid insurance was readily available for older folk..

As a Permanent Resident I would like to know , if I go overseas for a short while., would I be subject to the same re-entry requirements as Tourists or would I be classed the same as a Thai NationaI? Specifically would I need to have the US $50 Covid / Health Insurance policy.? I am 76 years old and if I need the Policy I would not be granted a Policy by any Insurance Company and I would therefore be effectively  unable to travel overseas 

I have worked and lived in Thailand for 30 years..Thailand is my home.

Any information will be appreciated.

If you have worked here for the best part of 30 years, you probably have Social Security, which will suffice for the covid coverage.

If you do not have SS, then you would come under the mandatory $50k insurance requirement.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm sure that you have looked into it carefully. 

I was under impression that covid insurance was readily available for older folk..

6 hours ago, Pimoo2 said:

No Social Security, now retired for 12 years. I will need to find an Inurance Company which will issue a policy. Thank you for your responses

Give aainsure in Pattaya a call.  I am 83 and they quoted me a policy with WRLife only covers you in Thailand, called a limited Plan.  Coverage US$80,000.   Premium would be somewhere between 6 - 8000 THB monthly.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need the $50,000 insurance valid for 30 days when you enter the country.

As said if you are covered under Social Security you will not need the insurance.

I thought that the $50,000 health insurance had to be valid for the amount of  time remaining on one's current visa or extension of stay.  

29 minutes ago, tutone said:

I thought that the $50,000 health insurance had to be valid for the amount of  time remaining on one's current visa or extension of stay.  

Not if you have permanent residency since it never ends.

Would the thirty-day insurance requirement also apply to retirees on one-year extensions returning with a re-entry permit?

Thanks for the information about aainsure.  Would they write a thirty-day policy for a person 79 years old?

2 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Would the thirty-day insurance requirement also apply to retirees on one-year extensions returning with a re-entry permit?

No

The insurance would have to be valid for the length of stay you get when entering the country. 

So if I have five months remaining on my extension of stay when I re-enter, I would need to buy five months of insurance coverage?  But when I renew my extension, no insurance would be required to cover the one year of the new extension?  Is that correct?

17 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

So if I have five months remaining on my extension of stay when I re-enter, I would need to buy five months of insurance coverage?

Yes

17 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

But when I renew my extension, no insurance would be required to cover the one year of the new extension?

That is correct. No insurance is needed for your extension.

8 hours ago, tutone said:

That depends on the type of visa being held. For some visas your point is correct, others types don't need annual health insurance.

Permanent Resident holders don't need to have annual health insurance.

However the requirements to enter Thailand 'Thailand Pass' do apply to all people entering and therefore a short term Covid- 19 health insurance does apply.

Dhipaya Insurance have a policy which covers foreigners up to 99 years old, and you can select the total period of cover (30 days, 60 days etc.).

PR holders do need to have an exit/re-entry stamp. At the Immigration office you can select:

- 'Single entry' (one trip out and return), or

- 'Multiple entry' (unlimited trips out and in for one year starting from the day the multiple entry stamps are placed in your passport and in your Certificate of Residence book.

I re-entered Thailand as a permanent resident some months ago under the COE scheme, and definitely needed the insurance cert.

My general health insurance from MTL (via K Bank) covered COVID, and they sent me the certificate.  My policy covers me until 90 years old, assuming Iive that long ????