Renting a villa with security cameras. Having an issue with the landlord

26 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

So what happens if the place gets robbed after the OP turned off the cameras?  The OP will be complaining about lack of security.  Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is with these cameras.  The OP said himself the cameras were all outside.  Classic example of making a mountain out of a molehill.

What <deleted> up argument is this even, the op wouldnt have a problem with the CCTV itself, if he would control is.

But it's controlled by some creepy old dude who doesn't live there, like a psychopath...

i would just replace the NVR (recording unit) with my own so only i have acccess to the CCTV....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

What <deleted> up argument is this even, the op wouldnt have a problem with the CCTV itself, if he would control is.

But it's controlled by some creepy old dude who doesn't live there, like a psychopath...

i would just replace the NVR (recording unit) with my own so only i have acccess to the CCTV....

We dont know what kind of system installed, now with these internet cameras you only need to download an APP to your phone or ipad 

Sometimes, when we have a power cut, our cameras reset pointing in wrong directions. Sometimes we have to reset them manually... Just a thought...we have a few power cuts and now at least 2 cameras fail to work. What does your contract say about the agent's access to the property, just in case the cameras are unserviceable?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

If it's a sophisticated Huawei-type system it may be either hard-wired or wifi.  If the former, multiple camera connections will be on rear of the NVR, simply unplug the ethernet to modem cable and it still records but doesn't broadcast via the 'net.  If totally wifi, use the vaseline on camera lens trick.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Talk about dumb suggestions.  Who the heck travels around with their own CCTV system (or recording unit)?

• Confused 1

I'll go as far as saying, you cannot invade peoples privacy without prior notice, cameras can be installed around the perimeter and entrance but the tenant or renter has to be informed of their location, so in the beginning you either accept or not.

On sites like airbnb the host has to declare if there is cameras on the property and you have to disclose the location in the description of the property, If a guest arrives and is not happy with the cameras and location the guest can cancel the booking there and then and airbnb will give them a full refund and the owner might be liable for finding a like for like property

• Like 1

Since the cameras / data are not in your control and not covered by the lease agreement, you need to take a pro-active stance and take control of the situation, not do this tit for tac stuff. Send an email to both letting agent and owner that you will turn off the cameras that could compromise your privacy and open you to possible recriminations via the computer crimes law. Also point out that the owner himself could be implicated since he has control of the data and liable to prison terms. Tell them you are doing it for the benefit of everyone and will not allow yourself to be open to this possibility during your stay. This gives you the argument to refuse any requests to turn them on and gives you control to do as you please with the cameras.

• Like 1

Landlord rented the property, has no right to control anything (not mentioned in contract and even did not notify you about existing any). He can not do anything legally (in fact what he is doing is illegal), but perhaps he/she won't return your deposit.

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 11:05 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

We're going to do just that.
The DVR will be here in a couple days. Thanks for the tip! it's really the best solution. We get to actually benefit from the cameras and receive alerts if someone is lurking around the place, and we have our privacy too. Perfect!
How the landlord will respond to this, I don't know.

1 hour ago, arick said:

The owners nationality will tell you a lot  what is there nationality? 

Brit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wthnrsn said:

We're going to do just that.
The DVR will be here in a couple days. Thanks for the tip! it's really the best solution. We get to actually benefit from the cameras and receive alerts if someone is lurking around the place, and we have our privacy too. Perfect!
How the landlord will respond to this, I don't know.

Brit

Just leave it unplugged