Best Airlines

LoeiI

The answer obviously depends upon what criteria e.g. lounges, food, bed comfort, length of flights, etc are important to you.

We've flown BC, BRU - BKK - BRU with Thai, Qatar, Oman, Hainan and Ukraine Air. For what it's worth, here's my opinion of the overall packages: Thai - ok, direct which is big advantage however overpriced; Qatar - good but I was expecting more (I flew during the restrictions last year, so maybe that was the reason for my relative disappointment?); Oman - excellent. If only one leg was longer so I could get a decent few hours sleep; Hainan - Was expecting more as their BC was highly regarded at the time (although lounge in Beijing was superb);  Ukraine - my favourite on-board experience; food was superb; cabin crew excellent; bed very comfortable (KGP - BKK - KGP); entertainment offering very limited but not important to me. Unfortunately, lounge in Kiev must be the worst in the world. Very cheap, I think that we paid +/-1200 Euros pp about 3 years ago. Stopped over in Kiev for a few days which was interesting. Kiev - BRU leg (3.5 HR) on old planes but ok.

I use to fly Eva all the time from BKK-TPE-YVR, and they were really good. I stopped using them in 2013 and switch to Cathay as I couldn't get a business class seat for my whole family to go back to Canada for my Dad's birthday, so we booked on Cathay and I must say I like them better for the following reasons:

1.  When Eva joined Star Alliance they increased their bc price 30,000 Baht more than Cathay.

2.  The quality of meals went down hill, I would order a steak and they would served very well done, tuff as nails. Their Breakfast left something to be desired.

3.  Schedule, On Eva I would Leave BKK around 5pm, then 3 hour lay over in TPE and depart TPE at midnight, and arrive into Vancouver around 9pm local time, I did like their departure time from YVR around 1am and get into BKK at 10am (Cathay has similiar departure time).

On Cathay, I have 2 options leave BKK at 11am arrive YVR around 12.30pm (50 minute layover in Hong Kong) or their 12am flight (like Eva), I always took the 11am flight. I find the food is better on Cathay and the flight attendants better. Mind you with Covid, I haven't been back to YVR in the last 2 years, hopefully in April.

Seems like the thread dominated by Brits flying to UK and a few paupers flying EVA to States. I hope EVA is better about 15 and 20 years ago I used to use the airline to fly from Los Angeles and while it was cheap every single flight I had some sort of mini disaster on.

I also found that in the airport itself in Taipei that no one could speak English and I mean none.

We have been flying Korean Air for a number of years and it's very efficient the website is very clean.

Truth being Korean the food is skint and they really watch what you drink do basically let you have 3 hard drinks and then start reminding you that you've had three drinks.

My wife and myself are going to use the miles to fly back to States and then I think we're going to look at the Middle Eastern airlines as we are we are no longer flying to the West Coast but only the east

I should also mention that the planes are all new. The service is good although they have cut staff and the flight attendants sometimes look very stressed and harried.

I flew Singapore Air (economy) direct from Singapore back to Heathrow a year ago.  13 or so hour flight went pretty quickly.  Had all 3 seats to myself so could lie down.  Plane (Airbus A350) was almost brand new.  Adequate legroom and seat width.  Cabin crew excellent. 

I also did Vietnam to SIN with them on Boeing 787.  Loads of legroom but really narrow seat. Had it been 13 hours on the Boeing to LHR with someone sat alongside me it would have been a nightmare.

I was all set to use Singapore again to return to Thailand in September, but I cancelled when the PCR time limit reduced from 72 hours to 48 hours.

Ended up re-booking with Emirates, Business class out and economy return.  Cost about £1500, not much more than Singapores "premium" economy. In fact the business / economy round trip was £500 cheaper than a one way business!

You still get the chauffeur pickup which probably saved me at least £100 on a taxi.  Couple of issues though:-

* Both legs were on Boeing 777 not A380.  The business layout on A380 is massively superior, so definitely worth trying to get an A380 instead of 777.  I think all flights DXB to BKK are 777 these days though ????

* There's only 1 business lounge open in DXB and is a shadow of it's usual self.  Many areas roped off.  Worst of all it's in a different part of the airport and took me over 20 minutes to walk to in a stuffy humid airport at 1 in the morning.

There's no boarding from the lounge so you have to walk all the way back again and join the normal economy boarding gate with 200-300 other people.

Despite having a 3 hour layover I only got to spend around 45 minutes in the lounge before having to head to the gate again.  I walked a total of 2.5 miles.

Before the covid-19 hit, I use to fly back and forth between Thailand & the USA, once a year. I tried several different airlines, until I settled with Qatar Q-Suite. I feel it is the best business class out there. It makes you feel like you are in first class. Pricing is much better then Emirates. 

It depends on your departure airport. On that note, I loved EVA & stopping over in Taipei that much, I traveled to Vienna & Amsterdam to take them in biz, spending 7-8+ hours on a train or a bus to get there (terrible shared lounge at AMS though).

Of course, Taiwan will remain closed for int'l transfers for an indefinite period. That's what you get for messing up your country's vaccination effort. I hope EVA will be able to survive. 

Singapore Airlines would be my other choice but I feel it's a waste to pay 4k or more for a flight (my EVA flights were on UA miles).

I have flown BC on many of the airines mentioned in this thread. They all have + and -. In the end, it depends on what you value most: staff and service, seat space, planes, hub and destination airports, food, lounges. Personally, seat space and cabin arrangement is a big plus for me. Food is less important.

I flew TG a lot because of they being the only one offering direct flight from BKK to my home country, and also because a TG gold card is so good for domestic flights here. Being based in Thailand, to be able to fly both East and West from here is good (not the case for Gulf airlines). But it is true that the level of their BC cabin and of their lounges is/was comparatively inferior. I also found occasionally a bit annoying that when a monk was flying in BC, all the staff was centered on him. With the new restructuring and the decrease in destinations, it might be time to change.

Emirates and sisters in the gulf are excellent, but the Dubai airport is frankly not friendly for transfers and a layover each time of 3-4 hours in the middle of the night also not my idea of comfort. Flying the A380 was great in BC, but they are replacing them with B777 which is inferior for comfort. The main problem I had was their network. They are not part of an Alliance (well, Srilankan) so you are stuck to fly/earn with them, and most importantly Thailand is a cul de sac. From here, you basically can't fly East. I like to fly to Japan and Indonesia, I can't backtrack to Dubai for that. They are great though for African destinations.

LH and Swiss have the worst staff attitude. Oh no wait I should give that title to BA and Qantas. Austrian was ok in that respect, also great cozy airport for transfers. I found Turkish quite ok contrary to some comments here, and a fantastic network from Istanbul to Europe. I might use them more often now, and perhaps Thai to Japan (though they reduced destinations also there).

The truth is, this covid has taught me that flying less is quite nice too, maybe I will become less hooked on a particular airline.

I normally use EVA and they are excellent but unavailable to transit in Taiwan until after Jan 1st I hear? So this trip I took Singapore air. They are pretty good, however trying to get an agent on the phone has been almost impossible. I'm in the USA now and they offer free change of dates which I needed. Tried online and it said I had to call in. Called in and got a recording to do online! Sent email said would respond within 7 business days! Never responded. This went on several days and finally got an agent on a chat line and changed flights. Now I need to change again and dread the fight to contact anyone who can do for me? Will definitely go back to EVA when available!

On 11/4/2021 at 10:42 PM, LoeiI said:

Sorry if this is the incorrect forum location (Please relocate if required) but I've flown Business class with Etihad for about 12 years now they are pretty good and the airport is easy to navigate, but i have heard good things about Qatar and Singapore any recent experiences ? TIA any others worth a look Finnish, Turkish, KLM 

Depends on your destination...

14 hours ago, roquefort said:

I don't know about Canada but in the UK a 30 mile ride from airport to home costs 3,500 baht. Bangkok to Pattaya (100 miles) for 2,500 seems quite reasonable to me.

The taxi drivers would never let me pay in THB I always had to use GBP

• Haha 1

I've liked Business Class on both EVA and Cathay.  Never a problem and short connections.  Korean was ok but as others noted the food isn't that great.  If I had my choice though I'd go with Qatar.

Haven't seen one person nominate a US carrier.  Perhaps they have something to learn from their competitors.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:41 AM, roquefort said:

I don't know about Canada but in the UK a 30 mile ride from airport to home costs 3,500 baht. Bangkok to Pattaya (100 miles) for 2,500 seems quite reasonable to me.

Then you shouldn't mind paying 400 baht for a bowl of street noodles because they cost £9 in Wagamama... 

The logic that because someone can afford it they would be comfortable paying over 2x the going rate is utterly idiotic.