I am Done With Thai Retirement Extensions - Relocating to Ecuador or Mexico on Permanent Residency

sam6345

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm OK with my forced Thailand imprisonment.

At 65 I'm past my best travelling years and am happy enough just to sit around at home.

20Km is about as far as I want to travel these days.

No medical insurance for me.

Your vision is optimistic but what will happen the day they ask us for health insurance for $ 50,000? I see in my cafe bottom that the date is approaching no you?

Take care

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, murraynz said:

I'm doing the 800k in bank, this year for my non O. 

What does my bank letter need to  say.. 

Or can I just show Chonburi Immi 

My updated passbook.. ???

You need letter from bank.

They should be familiar with what is required. It basically confirms that you are the owner of the bank account and also shows balance.

I prefer to obtain it on same day that I attend immigration, however few days early is acceptable at most immigration office. 

Also update your bank book by making a transaction on day of application.

I took a picture of my letter in case this question arose but think I trashed it. Ubonjoe has posted sample bank letter in a thread. 

Will try find it.

Screenshot_20211107-084306.jpg

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm OK with my forced Thailand imprisonment.

Why would I want to leave anyway.  Keep moving forward, not backward.  Return to the USA 

NO THANKS

No way I'm traveling out of country, especially by plane.  Reported on Richard Barrow twitter ..took people 3 hrs to get through Imm / med check at BKK airport the other day.  Add 3 hrs check in coming, and 3 hr check leaving, and whatever time when you get to where ever.

10 hrs of BS before you even allot time for the actually flight.  2 hrs is too long for me on a plane.  Especially with what they consider customer service now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Keep 800k in Thai bank all year." Everyone to his own, but if you are expecting to live in retirement here in Thailand for the rest of your life, that 800k you keep in the bank, it's just like you have just  given it away. 

Have no idea what your point is. 

Yes I could earn money with the 800k by having it in shares. 

Depends on your financial situation.

I don't need to look at opportunity cost of having money in a bank.

The 800k goes to my partner when I fall off perch along with much more.

800k baht is $32,000 aud. 

Hardly sheep stations when a good Car would cost more.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2021 at 12:01 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

The visa issue as well TM39 and 90 day reports are like resolved by simply paying a agent to do them, so this is a man made problem optionally only. In terms of some here that comment on doing so for a secure future or for the vulnerable years, not sure how this would be better in Ecuador or Mexico to be honest.

Generally speaking no place on earth can offer sustainability, safety or security in 1-2-3 decades from now, western countries are going downhill faster by the year too. I'd agree with Zikomat that is hard to find a place comparable to Thailand unless you just wanna live cheap and stay at home all the time.  

I've even tried Cambodia, Malaysia and Laos for a year, similar but not the same at all as it is here. Vietnam might come close by offering a very vibrant life but neither is anything close to Thailand. If there was such place many would go.

Many do go if what you read regularly in forums is true. Ask yourself this.

How many expats have left Thailand for good between 2007 and 2014 compared to between 2014 and now? I don't think there is anyway of finding out, but I would bet there were a lot more from 2014 up to now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 12:22 AM, DrJack54 said:

A ray of reality from @KhunLA

Glad I'm not the only one that finds it all so simple and easy.

I also find it simple to report every 90 days to immigration, but I do not like being treated like a criminal out of prison on parole, but yes everything is simple and easy if you are using an agent to do everything for you.

Much easier than throwing away a fortune for the Elite visa. ????

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I also find it simple to report every 90 days to immigration, but I do not like being treated like a criminal out of prison on parole, but yes everything is simple and easy if you are using an agent to do everything for you.

This year's extension, I walked in CM immigration at 9am and out before 11am.

No changes in the paperwork or requirements between 2009 and 2021.

I've never used an agent, always 400k in the bank, I doubt I'll spend all my money before I die.

As good in a Thai bank as a UK bank.

I don't need to make money, I have enough.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Have no idea what your point is. 

Yes I could earn money with the 800k by having it in shares. 

Depends on your financial situation.

I don't need to look at opportunity cost of having money in a bank.

The 800k goes to my partner when I fall off perch along with much more.

800k baht is $32,000 aud. 

Hardly sheep stations when a good Car would cost more.

But what if you don't have a partner when you fall of your perch?

I am no financial expert, but I thought that this 800k Bt had to stay in the bank, I know you can take so much out at certain times, but the rules regarding this keep changing from time to time.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I don't use agents or have a PE.

I do extensions and over period of 10 years have found immigration officers very pleasant and requirements minimal.

90 reports via mail. Simple process.

In fact same could be said for my experience obtaining drivers license and recently obtaining my vaccination shots and in general dealing with life in Thailand. People helpful and friendly. 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

This year's extension, I walked in CM immigration at 9am and out before 11am.

No changes in the paperwork or requirements between 2009 and 2021.

I've never used an agent, always 400k in the bank, I doubt I'll spend all my money before I die.

As good in a Thai bank as a UK bank.

I don't need to make money, I have enough.

But that's CM IO, but what about other IOs and ever changing rules.

• Like 1

Too many to read all posts but I am sure my views have already been expressed.

If I wanted to move out of Thailand it would not be because of onerous admin for renewing a retirement extension, as quite simply, it's not onerous.

Last week I renewed for another year, in and out my IO in 40 minutes. Sure you have to prepare. I set a reminder in my phone to start paper-collecting about 4 weeks before my expiry date.

I start with copies of stuff tht hasn't  changed then arrange for new photos, a medical and last but not least the on-the-day bank letter for the 800k proof.

I see many have a fair trek to their IO but as mine is 170 km there and back it should be a pain but again isn't as I only have to go in person once a year for the renewal. If I take a break in say Pattaya or Hua Hin they stil want a TM30 which I do on my way home as if I go anywhere it means almost passing the office. 90 days done online for 5 years with a few exceptions when I had a new passport.

If you are retired the time spent on this not really a lot in my view. I suspect other reasons for a departure.

For the OP good luck and I hope the grass is actually greener in your new home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saltire said:

. If I take a break in say Pattaya or Hua Hin they stil want a TM30 which I do on my way home as if I go anywhere it means almost passing the office

Rules regarding TM30 requirements changed.

You are no longer required to file tm30 if returning to your usual residence after inter province and international travel. 

So you can stop doing that.

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

How many expats have left Thailand for good between 2007 and 2014 compared to between 2014 and now? I don't think there is anyway of finding out, but I would bet there were a lot more from 2014 up to now.

In the heady days from say 2000 to about 2010 every man and his dog came to Thailand with either ill gotten gains, profits from selling real estate and their savings in general etc etc. Exchange rates were favourable and it was cheap to live in the Kingdom. In my experience, I started to see expats leave from about 2013 onwards and I don't believe it was visa related, more that there were less opportunities to make money here, the lifestyle became more expensive, savings had dwindled, the novelty had worn off and their were also other destination oportunities which offered an alternative that maybe hadn't been on their radar before.............................................................Making visas more difficult or expensive to obtain is definately a reason for less European and Western expats staying long term in Thailand, but I don't believe it's a major factor as to why more may have left the Kingdom since 2014 for example.......................................................

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Rules regarding TM30 requirements changed.

You are no longer required to file tm30 if returning to your usual residence after inter province and international travel. 

So you can stop doing that.

I am aware of this and this has come up in the forums before.

Each time I visit the office I ask if it's still a requirement and each time they say a big Yes. Asked last week while I got my renewal, no change.

Now my choice is to stop doing them and see what happens but for the sake of peace of mind and avoidance of a fine, I will continue to report, as, as I said it's not a major inconvenience. They still insist on my wife as 'landlord' being present too.

Just another example of the inconsistency from office to office.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I am aware of this and this has come up in the forums before.

Each time I visit the office I ask if it's still a requirement and each time they say a big Yes. Asked last week while I got my renewal, no change.

Now my choice is to stop doing them and see what happens but for the sake of peace of mind and avoidance of a fine, I will continue to report, as, as I said it's not a major inconvenience. They still insist on my wife as 'landlord' being present too.

Just another example of the inconsistency from office to office.

Yep have read about these backwater offices.

Which one. Care to share.

They need kick up the backside.

Do they check for TM30 when you do your extension. Should not be required. 

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yep have read about these backwater offices.

Which one. Care to share.

They need kick up the backside.

Do they check for TM30 when you do your extension. Should not be required. 

Kanchanaburi, small, friendly and very efficient. Never had a problem.

My latest TM30 is always in my passport but I can't tell if they look at it or not - maybe I will take it out next time and see if they ask for it? ????

The TM30 is done in another building by different staff so it's possible the IO's don't give a jot about it.

I only found out recently that this small TM30 office can issue certificates of residence for driving licence etc. Last time I renewed drivers licence I had to go to Bangkok to the UK Embassy for one! Always learning.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, bojo said:

In the heady days from say 2000 to about 2010 every man and his dog came to Thailand with either ill gotten gains, profits from selling real estate and their savings in general etc etc. Exchange rates were favourable and it was cheap to live in the Kingdom. In my experience, I started to see expats leave from about 2013 onwards and I don't believe it was visa related, more that there were less opportunities to make money here, the lifestyle became more expensive, savings had dwindled, the novelty had worn off and their were also other destination oportunities which offered an alternative that maybe hadn't been on their radar before.............................................................Making visas more difficult or expensive to obtain is definately a reason for less European and Western expats staying long term in Thailand, but I don't believe it's a major factor as to why more may have left the Kingdom since 2014 for example.......................................................

Thanks, a very interesting post. but in the. say 2 years before the pandemic came, being a regular visitor to Bangkok, I did notice far less and less tourists around. But I know and have read of so many expats leaving Thailand for good.

If the unelected soldier was not in power and there was a properly elected government, there would be many more expats here today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Last time I renewed drivers licence I had to go to Bangkok to the UK Embassy for one! Always learning.

At least your embassy assists you with providing that.

Oz embassy does not (heads up for any AU folk). Think all their money went on new embassy digs in Bangkok.

Ah Kanchanaburi....lovely place.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2021 at 7:09 AM, bojo said:

Good level headed summary, especially the 'entire world' perspective and a great alternative 90 day report tip for those that dare....................................................

Even if I was worth millions of Baht, and wanted to stay in Thailand, I still would not give the soldier government 200.000K or whatever it is for this rip off Elite nonsense.

I would give the money to help those put out of work because of the soldiers policies than give the money away for nothing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bojo said:

You say that as does Spidermike vehemently for example, but personally, I don't think  expats or those considering give a damn about who's in charge as long as it's a safe place to live/not threatened by the powers that be.......................................... My experience of living in the Kingdom has been refreshingly one of not being the least bit concerned about local politics and the news and just enjoying life. When one lives in one's home country, it's almost as if it's one duty to keep up with the news and that's invariably depressing ..................................................

Yes, Spidermike is one of the most sensible posters on this forum, and again you send a very sensible post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, possum1931 said:

Even if I was worth millions of Baht, and wanted to stay in Thailand, I still would not give the soldier government 200.000K or whatever it is for this rip off Elite nonsense.

I would give the money to help those put out of work because of the soldiers policies than give the money away for nothing.

I can appreciate your conviction and principles........................................................It was  only a month or so ago that I learnt from a thread here that there was pretty much no benefits from the Elite visa. I was quite taken aback that you still had to do 90 day reporting etc etc. ........................................I seem to remember back in the day everyone was banging on about limo transfer from the new airport and golf course benefits or whatever and maybe for those that wanted to impress, it may have been a good option, but I can't see it today................................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

everyones different likes and dislikes ,covids done it for me,ive been here a yr half now,i want out,ive a condo here so i wish to sell it,cant right now but i hope to early next yr. things are looking up covid wise.on my way,itravelled extensively before covid ,here was but a stopping point and it was great for that,4 weeks and out,enjoy what the place has to offer,some good spots down south,great food,fantastic restaurant scene in bkk and so on,but many aspects of the country dont suit me,the fact youve basically no rights,no respect in a culture obsessed with such,rascim,the govt and its restrictions ,medical insurance,the science of difficult.theres plenty of options,locally PH camb perhaps vietnam,further afield parts of latam,panama costarica colombia equador,all offer citizenship and  med cover in a few yrs,southern europe port,spain greece and so on.time to move on but imo thailand is not what it was 20 yrs ago or even 5 yrs ago,if you like it great but it dont sit right with an increasing no of people,respect that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 7:25 AM, Henryford said:

What are you talking about. I have been here 15 years too. The annual extension to my visa takes all of 2 hours, ONCE a year, total cost 2000 baht. The 90 day reporting takes about 15 minutes each time, total cost zero. Hardly a reason for leaving. I think we might have a problem if they added insurance requirements to Non O visas but no sign of that yet.

You never know what is going to happen with these soldiers. If I knew I would have to do this nonsensical 90 day reporting like a prisoner on parole, I would never have came here even if it took just one min of my time.