Insomnia

ChaiyaTH

The Oxford link is  a spoof, but perhaps some of AN's readers didn't spot it in their haste to jump on the anti-vax wagon...

"Within two weeks of their first dose, trial participants reported greater reliance on caffeine to function during the day. Some individuals reported an intake of 6 pints of coffee and 3 Sports Direct mugs of 7.2% ABV cider. This had a knock-on effect of increasing instances of bathroom use by up to 32% for males and 35.5% for people shorter than 5ft, and 4 inches... 

Perhaps the worst side effect of all, with concerns that this may actually INCREASE the spread of the virus, students were observed throwing cylindrical coins into the drinks of their associates. An anthropologist and expert in tossable objects was called in to observe the strange ritual-like nature of the activity, concluding that it reminded them of their time among the more ‘primitive’ Tab tribe. “

Edited by blackprince
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2021 at 5:16 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

(still awake)

You may be right about the vaccine being the cause as I have a few friends that have taken the AZ vaccine and they are up all night as well. I find corn silk tea taken before bed helps me sleep all night, you can buy it at Lazada. It's a good detox for the liver and gets the excess salt out of your kidneys. Works for me, but you might pee more at first.

5 minutes ago, losjims said:

i got into Audiobooks

Once I am listening to the story my brain finally switches off and I rarely stay awake for more than half an hour after that.

Give it a go 

I kid you not, sometimes when I can't sleep I turn on Alex Jones. His voice works wonders for me. I still have no clue about any conspiracy theories he's talking about.

About a couple of years started to have trouble sleeping ,hated using sleeping tabs as you feel rubbish ,then had a problem and the doctir prescribed gabapentin for it ,didnt work but i started sleeping great ,checked it out on google ,seems its been known for some time and it makes you sleep" normaly" unlike sleeping pills,you can buy the tabs at a pharmacy no prescription not expensive i take 300mg but you may need more,check it out ,they work great.and not addictive for me

There is a Thai product branded in English as Deep Sleep by Phutawan. It's available in some chemists here in Thailand.

It's a spray that is based on essential oils and it works a treat.

Previously I had tried lavender essential oil on its own (it's long been used as a sleeping aid), but it kept me awake, probably because I used too much. But this spray really does work when applied to the pillowcase, preferably the sides to avoid eye contact.

1 hour ago, keithkarmann said:

I do not have much of a problem unless there is something on my mind. When I do have a problem I have found sex is a great cure to give me several hours deep sleep.

Or failing that a wrist adventure could also go someway to relieve a bit of stress .

• Haha 1

A post containing outright misinformation has been removed.

The "control" group in a vaccine study is the group that did not receive the vaccine.  Hence any "side effects" among them are, by definition, not due to the vaccine.

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

About a couple of years started to have trouble sleeping ,hated using sleeping tabs as you feel rubbish ,then had a problem and the doctir prescribed gabapentin for it ,didnt work but i started sleeping great ,checked it out on google ,seems its been known for some time and it makes you sleep" normaly" unlike sleeping pills,you can buy the tabs at a pharmacy no prescription not expensive i take 300mg but you may need more,check it out ,they work great.and not addictive for me

Gabapentin has some signifiocant side effects and should nto be used just for sleeping.

OP I find a combination of melatonin and 5-HTP induces a very natural sleepiness. Note that brands matter and also dosage is highly individual, I take 10 mg melatonin (Puritan Pride brand) and 50 mg 5-HTP (Natrol brand), can get both from Lazada. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You may find that melatonin is helpful.  I buy Nature's Bounty 1mg, 180 tablets, from Lazada Thailand for 439Baht (cash on delivery).  Currently, I take one tablet about 20 minutes before sleep.  There is no hangover effect.

You will have to experiment with what dosage is best for you.

• Thanks 1

Insomnia,  

Had 2 AZ jabs ,  1 in June and 1 in August. No difference in sleeping hrs.

Go to bed early and sleep before my head hits the pillow ,same before .

Wake up early after 5/6/7 hrs sleep same as before.No ill effects from the Jabs 

Happy days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Gabapentin has some signifiocant side effects and should nto be used just for sleeping.

OP I find a combination of melatonin and 5-HTP induces a very natural sleepiness. Note that brands matter and also dosage is highly individual, I take 10 mg melatonin (Puritan Pride brand) and 50 mg 5-HTP (Natrol brand), can get both from Lazada. Your mileage may vary.

Hi

What side effects are those Sheryl? I have been taking it for about 9 months without problems.

Put a large hammer through the tv screen, its a government weapon.

A member of the Amish was interviewed and asked  why there was no

covid, he replied 'What is covid?, I'm sorry we don't have television'.

Wake up, breath deeply, and sleep.

Edited by talahtnut
spelling

Me too, I always go to my bed just after midnight. Generally I won't fall asleep until its daylight and the more I try the less chance I have of sleeping. For me its this constant urge to move my legs and lower back after I lay down. I am sure that deep down its all in the head as I dread going to bed these days. I would be lucky to get 3 hours sleep a day (notice I don't say night) and that is broken sleep and the more tired I am the worse it gets, which you would think would be opposite. I am at my wits end, I gave up coffee, I gave up sugar and any bakery products in order to see if it helps and none of the diet moves has helped thus far.

• Like 1

Forcing oneself to a regular bedtime helps some. I'm no life of the party anymore--lights out at 930. No alcohol, caffeine, little sugar. Still wake up sometime in the middle of the night. Varies, sometimes 1am for awhile or 3am. Hard to know if I'm dozing or just resting, sure not REM sleep. Usually relaxed, not anxious...just not asleep. No screens before bed. 9 or even 10 hours has always suited me best. Now I get up pretty unrefreshed. Bummer.

17 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Forcing oneself to a regular bedtime helps some. I'm no life of the party anymore--lights out at 930. No alcohol, caffeine, little sugar. Still wake up sometime in the middle of the night. Varies, sometimes 1am for awhile or 3am. Hard to know if I'm dozing or just resting, sure not REM sleep. Usually relaxed, not anxious...just not asleep. No screens before bed. 9 or even 10 hours has always suited me best. Now I get up pretty unrefreshed. Bummer.

I find Melatonin useful for waking in middle of the night or too early. For that, I use a quick acting sublingual form and keep it at the bedside.

With experience you'll find out how many hours you need between taking it and getting up (i.e. the latest time you can take it without grogginess next day). For me it is 3-4 hours but everyone is different.

On 11/8/2021 at 10:58 AM, Sheryl said:

I fully agree, Melatonin did help me also. Before, I couldn't go back to sleep again once I woke up during the night, and I had a very shallow sleep. With Melatonin it has improved a lot. What made me consider it is reading that besides the natural decrease with age, blood pressure medication can also significantly decrease Melatonin levels, which is the case for me.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:15 PM, Sheryl said:

I find Melatonin useful for waking in middle of the night or too early. For that, I use a quick acting sublingual form and keep it at the bedside.

With experience you'll find out how many hours you need between taking it and getting up (i.e. the latest time you can take it without grogginess next day). For me it is 3-4 hours but everyone is different.

Thanks, Sheryl. My personal experience with Melatonin is 300ug timed-release for those middle of the night wake-ups. Raising the dose didn't help. I'm not so sure I'd want to disrupt the diurnal cortisol curve with sublingual in the night. Melatonin is a cortisol suppressant but encourages morning cortisol production. IOW, good at bedtime, maybe bad at 4am.

An 'interesting' feature with Melatonin for me is that it doesn't work if I take it every night. Every 2-3 nights has some effect but, really, not a huge improvement.