British Foreign Secretary to visit Thailand this week

webfact

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

Weren't all the relevant leaders in Scotland last week for COP26?

She could have hopped on the train and saved the UK government $$$ and also improved her green credentials.

Here is an true reflection of the uk tory govts concern for the environment. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/07/nearly-300-flights-within-uk-taken-by-government-staff-every-day?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

8 hours ago, DefaultName said:

I hope she's got her "non-quarantine" night in a hotel booked.  ????

Surely she wouldn't use her position to by-pass the process all other Britons have to go through.  

Why wouldn’t she, the rest of the cabinet doesn’t follow any of the rules that apply to the rest of the U.K.  

• Haha 1

Maybe she should ask why it is that when a Thai partner ( female-male  male-male  female-female old-young and any other variation ) marries or otherwise settles in UK with a British national after the formalities, left alone to live their lives (and even get the security of citizenship). 

When the other way around, a British national (or any other foreigner) entering into marriage is subjected to perpetual checks and renewals of documents etc... And a Thai male with is accepted as a partner with very strong citizenship rights, even if he happens to have made a union with another male.

I know many Thai males and females, now settled in UK and living very good lives and I know the villages they left, some decades ago. I know from this forum that many foreigners don't feel that same security. We don't bar them from working and they want to work and contribute. They don't have to report and not should they. 

Britain is fair about these things and almost all of us don't feel threatened by immigration as long as rational and I've never heard anyone make a negative comment about Thais in UK. I wish more countries in S E Asia reciprocated with similar arrangements to allow people to live together without the hassles if they want to make a life together.

She could ask that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Being British, and over 65, I'm sure they will form an orderly queue and greet her with courtesy.

Don't bank on it. They are probably Labour supporters by now, all armed with a six-pack of eggs from the 711.........though I'm sure if an egging does happen, it'll be from an orderly queue.

4 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Don't bank on it. They are probably Labour supporters by now, all armed with a six-pack of eggs from the 711.........though I'm sure if an egging does happen, it'll be from an orderly queue.

Woman is not fit for the position.... always think of her 'that is a disgrace' comment about importing cheese that has been ridiculed on UK TV many times. Politics in the UK is a mess, most of them are useless .... and I don't see anything better in the other camp. 

What on Earth is she coming here for?

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Woman is not fit for the position.... always think of her 'that is a disgrace' comment about importing cheese that has been ridiculed on UK TV many times. Politics in the UK is a mess, most of them are useless .... and I don't see anything better in the other camp. 

What on Earth is she coming here for?

So she can swap empty promises of trade and investment with the Thai government.

Nothing will happen and each side can plausibly blame the other.

Even as a Brit, I don't follow the politics there much. Across the pond is far, far more entertaining.

• Like 1

She could also ask why did you make Brits (& others) wait to last and jump through hoops for vaccines, when we gave vaccines to Thais and any other foreigner without Discrimination as you did. She could also be given an Honorary inactive post.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

fast-growing and increasingly influential countries.

She can not be serious including Thailand in that mandate. Our industrious glorious leader has his own 20 yr plan so better come back in 2034 and see what's left. 

I'm dreading the Photo ops already, better store that uniform away Tu Tu till she's gone.

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

Weren't all the relevant leaders in Scotland last week for COP26?

She could have hopped on the train and saved the UK government $$$ and also improved her green credentials.

She was apparently fast tracked for her Thailand Pass QR code so why wait ?

• Haha 1

The international trade secretary, Liz Truss, is positively evangelical about a Pacific-based export-led recovery, however. She says it will give the UK access to a £9tn GDP and without any need to join a EU-style political club.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/15/why-britain-is-tilting-to-the-indo-pacific-region

That was back in March, interesting article.

13 hours ago, Maybole said:

I saw a clip of an interview she did for the BBC last year. She is seriously dense and had no grasp of her subject. Some advert for a UK government!

Should blend right in with her constituents here, then.

17 hours ago, Maybole said:

I saw a clip of an interview she did for the BBC last year. She is seriously dense and had no grasp of her subject. Some advert for a UK government!

Problem is with Johnson's government, nobody keeps their job for more than a few weeks  before being moved on to another post that they have no experience in.  Hunt and Raab being a couple of examples.  They all screw up but instead of them being dumped (as they should be) they just continue in the same game of musical chairs.

Johnson has to do this because he is seriously short of people he can keep on side.  Truss is one of them....for now anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yep must have been those half a million doses of free AZ that were donated.

Did the proper paperwork ever get filled out and triple Thai certified so those vaccines could actually get to Thai people?