RF keys and theft

PoorSucker

Just read this thread about a girls loosing her new motorbike

Thinking to hear your experiences with RF keys.

The technology here is simple, a radio frequency booster (129 baht on Lazada) is used to expand the range on a vehicle’s RFID reader, which means that the motorcycle can read the key’s unique code from a much farther distance than before.

If you park your vehicle close to your keys protect your wireless keys with a simple “EMP pouch” or “Faraday bag”.

For home made protection, put your keys in a thick metal box.

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

My Honda RF keys has a switch off function where you can turn off the keys and even if you're near the bike, it can't start and be ridden off unless you press the button to turn the key back on again, useful for when you're at a cafe or camping near the bike unfortunately later models seem to have done away with this button

Just got a new PCX yesterday and I "turn off " the key every time I park and alarm it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gavlar said:
4 hours ago, digbeth said:

My Honda RF keys has a switch off function where you can turn off the keys and even if you're near the bike, it can't start and be ridden off unless you press the button to turn the key back on again, useful for when you're at a cafe or camping near the bike unfortunately later models seem to have done away with this button

2 hours ago, gavlar said:

Just got a new PCX yesterday and I "turn off " the key every time I park and alarm it.

I have an Aerox with keyless system. I've put the system to the test and found that the bike will not respond if the fob is more than 2 meters away. So I just make sure that the steering lock is engaged and walk away. I've not turned off the fob in 2 years.

34 minutes ago, digbeth said:

the problem is that thieves now has the tools to make the more than 2 meters away be like less than 2 meters away, in the UK there's a big problem of people parking the car in their drives or off street and hang their keys in the doorway living room and signal repeater/extender makes stealing the car as easy as just walking up next to the car

That's valuable cars you're talking about. I cannot envisage any would be thief going to all the trouble and technological investment to nick a modestly priced motor scooter!

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

That's valuable cars you're talking about. I cannot envisage any would be thief going to all the trouble and technological investment to nick a modestly priced motor scooter!

Scooter theft happens all the time.  It's a very common thing, even if they are old.

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:
9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Scooter theft happens all the time.  It's a very common thing, even if they are old.

I am aware of that thank you, but the discussion is specifically about keyless motorcycles, which I believe are less vulnerable to a drive away theft. They could still cart one away on a pick up of course, so sensible precautions should still be taken.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 3:52 PM, Moonlover said:

A radio frequency booster costs 129 baht on Lazada.