‘It’s like a graveyard’: Thailand’s famous Khaosan Road is struggling despite return of tourists

webfact

img_0767.jpg

McDonald's clown mascot stands inside an empty burger joint on the famous Khaosan Road in Bangkok, Thailand. (Photo: Pichayada Promchertchoo)

Pichayada Promchertchoo

While international tourists are again visiting Thailand, places that rely on nightlife to draw people have yet to reap the benefits.

BANGKOK: The McDonald’s clown mascot stares blankly at the empty road outside the restaurant. Its wide red grin and big lifeless eyes were visible through the glass window.  

“Open 24 hours”, reads a blue sign on the door. But there was nobody inside the burger joint. The business has closed as a result of the pandemic, a grim fate shared by many others on Bangkok’s landmark street where they are all located - Khaosan Road.

The 400m stretch is well-trodden by visitors from around the world, once drawn to its active nightlife, cheap street food, shops and hotels.

Full story: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/thailand-khaosan-road-covid-19-nightlife-businesses-struggling-2307656

CNA.jpg
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

When I was there just before the pandemic it was still a really vibrant place.  There's more to the area than KSR.

I remember the streets around there were lined with those brightly lit cocktail VW campervans, blasting out music......I imagine they have all gone now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

I'm totally with you on this but I think the travelers changed and had become much more soft. They'd come to need air conditioning and western food, smoothies, clubs and pub crawls.

I'd often wondered why they bothered leaving home.

Aside from evening beer/s when I was traveling hard a Magnum was a splurge.

Really hard to shed a year for those businesses.

Nothing to do with hard or soft but with having money and willing to spend it.

57 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

I'm totally with you on this but I think the travelers changed and had become much more soft. They'd come to need air conditioning and western food, smoothies, clubs and pub crawls.

I'd often wondered why they bothered leaving home.

Aside from evening beer/s when I was traveling hard a Magnum was a splurge.

Really hard to shed a year for those businesses.

They went there as the first stop on the way to the bucket and drugs parties on Had Rin. Before corona Had Rin had shed it's cheap places to stay and become a flashpacker hell hole complete with foam parties and black moon parties. Sad times.

1 hour ago, jvs said:

KSR was already changing before the pandemic,

They "improved "it so much it nearly collapsed onto itself.

It worked well,there was no need to fix it.

Bangkok will never be Singapore.

And thank God for that ("Bangkok will never be Singapore").

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

What happened in KSR, Singapore did to Bugis Street. It became as sterile as the rest of Singapore and customers stopped going there.

I remember Bugis Street in the late 1960s an early 1970s.

57 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It became a popular restaurant street, but yes sterile and boring, like the rest of the city.

Happy days there in the 70s when it rocked till after dawn ( didn't even really start till after midnight ).

I spent many a night there till the tables were removed and the cars started driving through. That toilet block should have been preserved for posterity, given what happened on its roof.

The toilet was a place where even guys would not go on their own, It was a katoey hangout and the smell was bad enough to keep people away unless they were really desperate.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It became a popular restaurant street, but yes sterile and boring, like the rest of the city.

Happy days there in the 70s when it rocked till after dawn ( didn't even really start till after midnight ).

I spent many a night there till the tables were removed and the cars started driving through. That toilet block should have been preserved for posterity, given what happened on its roof.

I got there in 1997 and encountered said sterility. no thanks Singers you can jam it. the only reason I stayed for six weeks was because there was a halfway decent bunch of reprobates living at the Waffles Homestay, now Cosy Corner Bagpackers on North Bridge Road. 

so more stories about the old days please, everybody know they were better ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chad3000 said:

It's often forgotten that along with these bankruptcies and broken businesses there are people becoming fabulously wealthy.

Biding their time. They will move in and start new businesses on top of the carnage of decent, hard working folk. IMO this is the future.

That is exactly what is happening. However I think there is a miscalculation on their part as to who the consumers might be. I think their "vision" is clouded by greed.

• Like 2