An interview with Olivier Gachoud after roughly 19 months of helping the needy during Covid-19 crisis in Pattaya

webfact

11_10_5-1.jpg

By Adam Judd

Pattaya, Thailand-The following interview and text is an approved guest article/submission by Kristof Erkiletian.

The global spread of Sars CoV2 has created devastating impacts on economies worldwide, particularly in the tourism industry with international travel being reduced to a fraction of its former stature.

Thailand has been especially hard hit by this, with vast numbers of people working in the tourism sector finding themselves long-term unemployed or even forced into homelessness. As a foreign national (Dual Canadian/American) currently residing in Thailand, I was inspired by recent articles in local Chon Buri news illustrating ongoing efforts by expatriates offering assistance to Thai people in need during this pandemic.

There were multiple reports of an ongoing assistance system of food distribution for the homeless in the Pattaya area organized by Swiss National Olivier Gachoud and French National Jean-Pierre Barbier.

Based on their sustained effort, I offered my own help to extend their program and volunteer to distribute food/aid in the mornings. In working alongside Olivier and his team, I learned that this initiative has in fact been ongoing for almost 2 years now, beginning back in May 2020.

I also learned that it is funded/staffed entirely by volunteer donors/workers, with the majority of the financing coming solely from Mr. Gachoud. The following interview offers some insight into the people behind this effort and the motivations that prompted them to act. As a professional athlete who represents the USA in the World Championship competition, I am personally humbled and emboldened by these actions. It is my hope their endeavors will continue to inspire others and help Thailand to maintain a unified successful response in weathering the pandemic.

Kristof Erkiletian
Dragon Boat USA National Team: 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
Dragon Boat World Cup Champions: 2018, 2014

Interview:

Kristof: What has prompted you to initiate food distribution to the needy in Pattaya?

Olivier: I don’t know if you are familiar with Greek and Roman history. I like the concept of the ancient Greek city: a collaboration of citizens living together. And now the question: “What can you bring to the City as a simple individual?”

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/11/14/an-interview-with-olivier-gachoud-after-roughly-19-months-of-helping-the-needy-during-covid-19-crisis-in-pattaya/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

"Because of the pathetic response to the needs of the poor, the needy and deliberately made unemployed and homeless Thai people by the PM "

They might think that,  but I don't think it would be at all wise to actually publicly say that, unless already safely back home in Switzerland/France ????