Energy Minister: Diesel Price Capped at B30/Liter

snoop1130

TG4aYSyN-1-768x428.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 18 (TNA) – Energy Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow insisted that the government would cap the diesel price at 30 baht per liter and military trucks will take over cargo transport if the policy upsets truck operators.

Mr. Supattanapong who is also a deputy prime minister said the diesel price policy would not change. He responded to the Land Transport Federation of Thailand’s repeated demand for the local diesel price to be limited at 25 baht per liter for one year.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-826110

tnalogo.jpg
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If it was I I would remove all subsidies on diesel. Let's see how long they last on market rates.

UK is currently around 65 Baht a litre for diesel.

That would spell disaster for a lot of companies and the prices of everything would go up,except wages of course.

I do not think it is fair to compare the price of diesel here with the price elsewhere.

It does not work that way.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This junta Government are so brain dead , if 50% of the truckers would stop drive Thailand army have not even nearly the number of trucks them need to cover it , I really hope it happens so this brain dead junta Government can have one more problem to deal whit. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

If it was I I would remove all subsidies on diesel. Let's see how long they last on market rates.

UK is currently around 65 Baht a litre for diesel.

The U.K. has some of the highest fuel prices "and fuel taxes" in the world....over 50% is tax.    If U.K. would reduce its tax to Thailand's level the price of U.K. diesel would be cut in half.

https://www.racfoundation.org/data/taxation-as-percentage-of-pump-price-data-page

U.K. Tax on Fuel

image.png.3eaffde427e5f4356381a53f0a7c099f.png

See below weblink for current diesel prices around the world....the U.K. has almost the highest prices due to the high fuel tax.  At time of me posting this link the U.K. had the 5th highest diesel prices in the world.

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/diesel_prices/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not when  57.95p of the price is made up of fuel duty in the UK. 

Or that a substantial part of the recent increase is due to greedy fuel companies who have increased their take from 30p 18 months ago, to 67p now. Over double.

Fuel duty hasn't changed for over 10 years...

22 hours ago, engamann said:

This junta Government are so brain dead , if 50% of the truckers would stop drive Thailand army have not even nearly the number of trucks them need to cover it , I really hope it happens so this brain dead junta Government can have one more problem to deal whit. 

No the brain dead is not them. You know the army will just take the privately owned trucks, right? They have plenty of drivers.

8 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Or that a substantial part of the recent increase is due to greedy fuel companies who have increased their take from 30p 18 months ago, to 67p now. Over double.

Fuel duty hasn't changed for over 10 years...

Sorry, do you have data?

What is the increase in real costs ATM while OPEC is choking supply to raise prices and supply-chain costs have risen dramatically?

Just stating it is profit-taking don't make it so.

• Like 1

I believe they are asking for the excise taxes to be lowered (then it wouldn't need a subsidy) but that would leave the government's coffers with a black hole just when they are desperate for more tax revenue.

Also I believe Thailand only imports around 30% of its oil so I guess when global oil prices go up, PTTs profits go up significantly (in which the government holds a majority stake).

• Like 2