Can I wire my Thai home to <insert name of country> wiring regulations?

Crossy

Getting colours to match the new Thai standards is a challenge, years ago it's Red White and Green, now it's black blue and green/yellow stripe for ground, most thai subcontractors who handle wiring just grab what they have left, wiring for three-phase colour complicates matter too

What exactly is inspected for when the utilities come and inspect your new home for connection? Anything goes after they've connected your meter right? What's the minimum that's required? even RCBO seems optional in Thai consumer unit

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, digbeth said:

What exactly is inspected for when the utilities come and inspect your new home for connection? Anything goes after they've connected your meter right? What's the minimum that's required? even RCBO seems optional in Thai consumer unit

The RCBO is not optional neither is the earth rod, basically the inspection should involve the incoming supply size the earth rod and attachment and the main RCBO. 

However as has been mentioned in other threads inspections are extremely variable and may include a chat with the home owner/SWMBO quite a long way from the house.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Anything goes after they've connected your meter right?

Pretty much, once you have your permanent meter there's no further inspections. Of course if you cause a problem for the network they are going to come looking.

Wiring my Thai house to the US NEC would be a supercilious attempt to prove that everything American must be the best.  Hey, I know some folks that actually believe that.  The one thing I don't personally agree with is main RCBO when there is proper earth distribution.  The NEC calls for RCD protection in bath areas and outside outlets which makes sense to me - everywhere else... aagh.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Black said:

How about electric ovens? Overtime mine melted the socket here. In the UK i remember a special 13amp socket.

If you have a 3kW (13A) or so oven I'd run a seperate circuit in 2.5mm2 on a 16A or 20A breaker and hard wire it.

Theoretically you should be able to run it off an outlet, but ...

The smaller table-top beasties should fine on a (good quality) regular outlet.

Practice in the UK used to be to put a single 13A outlet on the cooker supply to feed the oven. Hard wiring via a fused-connection-unit on the cooker circuit is also common.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Wiring my Thai house to the US NEC would be a supercilious attempt to prove that everything American must be the best.  Hey, I know some folks that actually believe that.  The one thing I don't personally agree with is main RCBO when there is proper earth distribution.  The NEC calls for RCD protection in bath areas and outside outlets which makes sense to me - everywhere else... aagh.

Works for me and would probably get you past Mr PEA.

UK now requires RCD protection on pretty well every circuit in a domestic environment.

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

I would beg (and have begged) anyone to not try to use the NEC in Thailand for oh so many reasons.  There are a few things we made a big push for in Thailand decades ago, like tamper-resistant outlets that make a lot of sense when using a high-impedance 120V wiring system and devices in a reasonably low-impedance 220V network. The lack of galvanic isolation for 220V loads is something I am still not a huge fan of, but trying to impose it here would be nonsensical. 

Grounding in the US is just so different (as a system) to Thailand that almost all parallels are moot. 

I would love to see NEC working spaces imposed on anything I built here though, as well as a few of the prescriptive requirements for branch circuits. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crossy said:

Let's keep it civil there is no "best" system every set of regs has it's own plusses and minusses.

It's a bit 'wild west' here in Thailand.

The PEA, or whoever your supplier is, are only interested in 2 things.

1: Getting the power to your meter, beyond that they don't really care much.

2: Getting the revenue that the meter generates.

By far the biggest issue here with domestic power supply is proper earthing.

Colour coding is somewhat irrelevant as long as the active, neutral and earth are correctly identified, and the cabling is of sufficient size to carry the load.

Whilst ring circuits do have good points, eg: plugs carrying fusing appropriate to appliance load, UK is out on their own there, and these days their disadvantages out weigh their advantages.

Far better to have multiple power circuits, max 16a loading and multiple lighting circuits, max loading 8a.

Of course all protected by earth leakage circuit breakers, one or two for power, lighting may be included on one of these, and a separate one for the hot water.

But definitely connected to proper effective earthing.

Earthing is your 'safety watch it' .!

As is RCDs (residual current devices) safety switches.

Thus I would suggest, wire up the house with many circuits with small loads, then if the need arises you have the capacity to add more to any circuit.

Then if a fault does develop you loose only one circuit, whereas on a ring feeder you loose everything beyond the fault, if not the whole ring.!

And do ensure you have good earths, multiple earth spikes in and around wells. soaks and septic tanks, (permanently wet areas) all linked together.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Every Thai electrician will tell you that electricity is completely different in Thailand, and no earth is required

????

Yup.

Even when the appliance says (in Thai) "this appliance must be earthed!"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Even when the appliance says (in Thai) "this appliance must be earthed!"

Because it comes from Japan/China/South Korea/anywhere else, the earthing requirement cannot possibly be as good as the village standard regime.

• Like 1

Went out today to by a new plug.

2 local hardware shops -no 3 pin plugs.

Drove half an hour to Home Pro - no 3 pin plugs.

Ended up ordering from Lazada.

This for me sums up the approach Thailand has to electrical safety.

22 minutes ago, PaoloR said:

Went out today to by a new plug.

2 local hardware shops -no 3 pin plugs.

Drove half an hour to Home Pro - no 3 pin plugs.

Ended up ordering from Lazada.

This for me sums up the approach Thailand has to electrical safety.

Your next task will be to find a 3 pin socket for you Lazada plug

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Every Thai electrician will tell you that electricity is completely different in Thailand, and no earth is required

????

Earth Ground will soon be replaced in the Kingdom by Space Ground.

It's one of the many revolutionary spinoffs soon to come from the aggressive Thai Space Program and upcoming Moon Mission.

Sell all your stock in ground rod companies.

You've been warned.

On 11/19/2021 at 6:38 AM, Crossy said:

I've posted this PEA document many times, once more wont hurt ???? 

Groundwire Mk2 book-Manual.pdf 803.56 kB · 4 downloads

The important diagram with translations.

Note the routing of the incoming neutral, you will need to do this to pass the MEA/PEA inspection.

461711064_GroundwireMk2book-Manual-1diagram.jpg.b8139e08435da486d6c2398268a917b2.jpg

I would like to add if you run any cable from the meter now to the property, all connections must be clamped together and not taped, any underground cable to the property can not be the same as above ground, it must be a twin heavy (double)duty insulation and in the yellow PVC tubing/pipe.

On 11/19/2021 at 5:53 AM, digbeth said:

years ago it's Red White and Green, now it's black blue and green/yellow stripe for ground

Isn't that the European standard colour code

Australia went the same way. 

On 11/19/2021 at 5:53 AM, digbeth said:

most thai subcontractors who handle wiring just grab what they have left

The Americans do the same thing. 

I've seen them use red as earth. 

On 11/19/2021 at 5:15 PM, JBChiangRai said:

????

My thoughts exactly, you beat me to the comment. 

On 11/19/2021 at 5:38 PM, bankruatsteve said:

C'mon. Not "every Thai spark" believes that. The sparks that come from homes built out of wood and on wood poles are correct. No need ground. 

Not too sure about that, wet bathroom floor, wet waste water pipe sounds like a hazard to me, but then most Thai drains run up hill so that might cancel the path to earth ????

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2021 at 4:40 AM, Crossy said:

An average 150kVA "village" transformer is going to be fused at around 400A per phase on the LV side

Biggest I use is 160 amps, although one of our transformers is 400kVA the fuses never blow on it. I have boxes of them in my drawer (see my picture). Sometime I'll ram them into circuit and if there is a direct short somewhere causing the blows the arc can be pretty spectacular. I sure WOULD NOT want 400 amps shorting in my CU. I'll always deploy a screw mounted breaker on the pole, it's useful isolation for routine work and good protection for the scenario you mention.

DSC_0632.JPG

DSC_0633.JPG

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1