Pattaya police set up checkpoints for drunk driving to prevent road accidents during Loy Krathong festival

webfact

535285-768x432.jpg

By Goong Nang(GN)

Pattaya – The Pattaya City Traffic Police set up a checkpoint for drunk driving last night in North Pattaya to prevent road accidents during the Loy Krathong festival and warned drivers that many more checkpoints were coming over the holiday weekend.

A team from the Pattaya Traffic Police led by Captain Amornthep Maima set up a checkpoint on Pattaya Second Road in North Pattaya at 1:00 A.M. early this morning (November 19th).

Captain Amornthep told the Pattaya News, “There were many road accidents after the curfew had been canceled (A previous months-long Covid-19 overnight curfew) and after many Covid-19 restrictions were relieved in Pattaya and Chonburi. Pattaya also has many events and festivals every weekend and many tourists like to drink alcohol during the festivals, even though officially it is discouraged and the bar and nightlife sector remain legally closed, even in Pattaya.”

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/11/19/pattaya-police-set-up-checkpoints-for-drunk-driving-to-prevent-road-accidents-during-loy-krathong-festival/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Haha 1

Sad that there will as any country be those that don't care, and will still drink and drive.  On a similar  note as fast as the "Don't drink alcohol  signs, tgat someone  wasted their money on, went up all al9ng beach road, the umbrella  vendors from Pattaya Klang to Soi13/3 ripoed them down.  I guess the mentality  is if no one sees them and drinks on the beach, then theres no fine, or fee for violations. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Sad that there will as any country be those that don't care, and will still drink and drive.  On a similar  note as fast as the "Don't drink alcohol  signs, tgat someone  wasted their money on, went up all al9ng beach road, the umbrella  vendors from Pattaya Klang to Soi13/3 ripoed them down.  I guess the mentality  is if no one sees them and drinks on the beach, then theres no fine, or fee for violations. 

We all came here for the freedom to do what we like.

If you don't want that freedom, why not move to a country more to your liking.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm new in Pattaya how does it work here. (Samui in parenthesis)

Do they target foreigners? (Thais only, unless you try to avoid them)

Do they have the same spots every time? (outside the police station)

Cars , MC or both. (No parking for cars, so only MC)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Foreigners are preferred but not as many of them around these days....they have a selection of places they set up. Certainly not just at the station....  I have known them stop both bikes and 4 wheels. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Foreigners are preferred but not as many of them around these days....they have a selection of places they set up. Certainly not just at the station....  I have known them stop both bikes and 4 wheels. 

I usually take my horse, that confuses the hell out of the BIB.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Good to know.

On Samui they actually took all drunks to court, much more hassle with foreigners for a mere 3000 baht fine.

You  would need more than that to be allowed to be on your way. Or the cells and the judge next day.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

A few years back I belonged to a Line group where members would post locations of police checkpoints, sometimes it was for breathalyzers, sometimes for drugs, sometimes license checks, sometimes for helmet violations. And after living here for almost 15 years I can say they don't target foreigners as there's been times where there were a handful of Thais sitting on the side of the road and I was the only foreigner. 

Anyone know if that Line group still exists?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

I usually take my horse, that confuses the hell out of the BIB.

Lot of foreigners think they can circumvent the law by riding a bike when in Germany......big mistake.

Edited by Will B Good
  • Haha 2

Just now, Will B Good said:

Lot of foreigners think they can circumvent the law by riding a bike in Germany......big mistake.

But as the German statutes specifically state "Fahrrad", you should be OK on a "Uni-Zyklus".  

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You  would need more than that to be allowed to be on your way. Or the cells and the judge next day.

Two foreign friend spent night in jail went to court next day (separate occasions)

Judge fined them 3000 baht minus 200 baht for spending night in jail.

License suspended for six months so they had to drive car instead.

Only MC license suspended, not the car license.

Edited by PoorSucker
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

10K is the negotiated going rate to avoid the metal bracelets in Patts. That doesn't include the cost of the taxi ride to the ATM for you and the copper, and the ride back to the checkpoint for him.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Two foreign friend spent night in jail went to court next day (separate occasions)

Judge fined them 3000 baht minus 200 baht for spending night in jail.

I m guessing you still talk of Samui..... in Pattaya you certainly can get locked up, but I hear of the squeeze being put on you. More than 3000 baht.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

We all came here for the freedom to do what we like.

If you don't want that freedom, why not move to a country more to your liking.

Oh so you live the life of a pirate, and would live to violate laws, or local policy?  I mean you came here to do what you like, and to be damn by the culture,  or its laws.  So turn abouts fair play.  Why dont you return  to your own country and do what you like?  Oh! You can't your country actually would have issue with what you do, "Do what you like." Sounds so Juvenile.   That isn't freedom  and that word really doesn't  fit in many cultures  in this world.  Why go home or any where else when I can observe  and watch people like you who only wish to exploit any situation here that you can't do in your country.  "The freedom to do what you like."  Indeed... you actually mean not obey the current policy or saftey measures put in place, be it ridiculous or not? Do you need a tissue?  Because you don't  have the freedom  to do what you like.  But the world needs dreamers.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I m guessing you still talk of Samui..... in Pattaya you certainly can get locked up, but I hear of the squeeze being put on you. More than 3000 baht.

A couple of years back a friend of mine got stopped driving here in Phuket, he failed 40,000 baht the police wanted, sack that he said I'll spend the night in jail and go to court in the morning, 5000 baht it cost him, this is in Phuket

My friend is Thai

• Like 1
  • Haha 1