Incentives being considered to entice remaining 11m Thais to get vaccinated

snoop1130

Here is my take on this,a lot of Thais are looking at this the smart way.

If both the chines vaccines have run out then the better ones will be used.They will wait for that.

Good idea.

Another idea is they do not want to receive a mixed vaccine,if you have received a mixed vaccine

you will have to wait longer to get a booster.

People are simply waiting for a vaccine of their choice.

No 5.30 A.M. talking down to people over the village speaker system is going to change that.

20 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Ahhh, another bite of unexpected consequences of choosing Sinovac as the main vaccine, that so many have refused in the first place.

Enough time has now passed for people to see that it is the least effective  against delta, and learn they can live without it. Unfortunately, they carry that belief forward to not want to get the other vaccines that actually work to stop infections in the first place.

Once their mind is made up, it is tough to change after the fact.  Even once they run out of Sinovac and finally start to offer others as the first jab, it will be hard to bring people forward. This does not bode well for the overall acceptance of getting the boosters we will no doubt require soon.

Thais do want to get the best vaccines but there is a supply problem and they won't accept Sinovaxs. The lottery incentive will definitely work!

Edited by chilly07
  • Like 1

My Thai GF is begging to be vaxxed but everywhere she goes in Pattaya, they tell her to go away, get lost!!  She has Thai ID and Thai Passport.  Vaccine is treated as a reward and ONLY for friends and allies of those in charge.  She is a nobody in their eyes even though she offers to PAY FOR IT.

33 minutes ago, gilamonster said:

My Thai GF is begging to be vaxxed but everywhere she goes in Pattaya, they tell her to go away, get lost!!  She has Thai ID and Thai Passport.  Vaccine is treated as a reward and ONLY for friends and allies of those in charge.  She is a nobody in their eyes even though she offers to PAY FOR IT.

Either your GF is doing something wrong, or she isn't telling you the truth, or you aren't telling us the truth.

According to the ministry of public health (https://www.facebook.com/สำนักงานสาธารณสุขจังหวัดชลบุรี-สสจชลบุรี-318251788326658) they had various vaccination sites all over Chonburi last Monday to Friday (post from 12th November), in the comments I don't see anybody complaining that they went but didn't get one, so it's reasonable to assume that people who went got vaccinated. If your GF had went there early enough, she would also have been vaccinated.

Edited by jackdd

21 hours ago, mikebike said:

Lottery. Thais love the lottery... Do like one of the States in the USA did and give everyone who gets jabbed a chance to win a million baht.

Which will no doubt thrill those who have been jabbed already!

Edited by sambum
Grammar

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

0% protection from infection. 

Cemetaries are filled with Covid victims who had great immune systems. If you want to learn more, check out "cytokine storm". 

All I am saying is having a great immune system with vitamin d3 and zinc is not at O protection against covid 19.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/do-vitamin-d-zinc-and-other-supplements-help-prevent-covid-19-or-hasten-healing-2021040522310

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

All I am saying is having a great immune system with vitamin d3 and zinc is not at O protection against covid 19.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/do-vitamin-d-zinc-and-other-supplements-help-prevent-covid-19-or-hasten-healing-2021040522310

The actual article basically says "who knows?". 

You did your own research and you failed. Time to get vaccinated. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gilamonster said:

Obviously, your GF is either confused, or lying to you. Loads of vaccine in Chonburi now. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joules said:

YOU need to educate yourself.  In your ignorance, you are being unreasonable to a poor old woman to whom you should show some respect.  She doesn't have covid.   You are just being a <deleted>.  Grow up.

He wants his MIL to get vaccinated, to save her live. You obviously don't care if she lives or dies. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dumbfounded said:

So....there's no chance of her dieing from diabeties or obesity, only from covid, and how could you possibly know which person infected her if she was to catch covid?

If she gets vaccinated, then her risk of Covid infection drops significantly. Isn't that a good thing? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, hioctane said:

The risk is lower but not rare. If you are vaxxed, the worry is not getting infected because you know that the risk of dying from a breakthrough infection is very low. However, being vaxxed you will be going out more. Doing more normal things. With this comes the risk of getting infected. Do you want to risk infecting your unvaxxed MIL who is over 8x more likely to catch it if you are infected? Can you live with it on your conscience if you caused her death?

It could be said that she caused her own death by choosing not to get vaccinated, don't you think?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Now why would you need a Third Pfizer jab unless you were vaccinated with Pfizer 6 months or so ago elsewhere.

The 3rd one is a Booster - I  had AZ x2 and 6 months later a Pfizer booster.

In my non-medical opinion, this will form a pattern each year - indeed in UK, the "drop-in" centres are now offering Covid boosters and annual flu jabs together.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pierre57 said:

The vaccinated can infect the unvaccinated also .... I think you're overlooking the fact ... if the unvaccinated are not infected ... they can't infect anyone.

But the unvaccinated may not know whether they are infected or not - they could easily be infected and asymptomatic...as it goes, so can vaccinated people but it is much less likely.

What the data say about asymptomatic COVID infections

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, lks7689 said:

What's the point of your statement. Don't see it adding any value to fellows here. FYI I got my mrna booster last month too but so what? Nobody wins in this covid era. 

The point is in a 1st world country they just mail you an appointment and you just go there and get your jab, FREE.

In a 3rd world country you PAY up front and have to wait months to get your jab.

Agree my statement doesn't add any value to the fellows here but the same goes for 99 % of the posts on this forum.

2 hours ago, gilamonster said:

Why, when my GF got jabbed here without any problem, registering via the Morr Pror App...(or whatever)  and is from Korat Province?

Edited by jacko45k

9 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

They're afraid of being stuck in their bunkers not being allowed to travel, visit restaurants, attend events or public places, while the rest of us carry on with our lives, children going back to school, travel, visit family and loved ones, have a meal out, do everyday things in the new normal.

Well time will tell if you are correct or not. 

19 minutes ago, Tonypandy said:

Where do they get the figure of 11 million unvaccinated? If you check the data it's a lot more than that. 

I know where they got the number from, they did it like this:

Thailand has 70 million people.

Nearly 47 million (rounding up to make it look better, actually would have to be rounded down, because it's 46.3 or so) people have received a first dose.

If you now look up the age distribution in Thailand, you will find that the group of 0-14 year olds makes up 16.8% of the population.

So if you now make a mistake (or want to make the number look better...), and assume that 0-14 year olds don't qualify for a vaccine, then you end up with 58 million people who are supposed to get a vaccine.

58 million who should receive a vaccine vs 47 million who got one, would mean 11 million more people to be vaccinated, that's the number in the news.

Actually it are of course only the 0-11 year olds who don't qualify for a vaccine, for this age bracket I didn't get a clear number, but should be about 13.2% of the population.

Using the correct number gives us 60 million people who have to be vaccinated, meaning 13 million people left to be vaccinated.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The actual article basically says "who knows?". 

You did your own research and you failed. Time to get vaccinated. 

In my read, it's worse than that... Here's the takeaways I found in the article he cited and linked above:

"Though COVID-19 is a new illness, a few clinical trials have explored the possibility that supplements may be effective. And, unfortunately, most of the evidence is unconvincing."

AND

"When it comes to preventing or treating COVID-19, I’d rely more on the recommendations from the CDC than on unproven supplements."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

I know where they got the number from, they did it like this:

Thailand has 70 million people.

Nearly 47 million (rounding up to make it look better, actually would have to be rounded down, because it's 46.3 or so) people have received a first dose.

If you now look up the age distribution in Thailand, you will find that the group of 0-14 year olds makes up 16.8% of the population.

So if you now make a mistake (or want to make the number look better...), and assume that 0-14 year olds don't qualify for a vaccine, then you end up with 58 million people who are supposed to get a vaccine.

58 million who should receive a vaccine vs 47 million who got one, would mean 11 million more people to be vaccinated, that's the number in the news.

Actually it are of course only the 0-11 year olds who don't qualify for a vaccine, for this age bracket I didn't get a clear number, but should be about 13.2% of the population.

Using the correct number gives us 60 million people who have to be vaccinated, meaning 13 million people left to be vaccinated.

That's probably right. If they think they will get 100% of the eligible population vaxed, it won't happen without coercion.