How long can i stay in Thailand?

Hi, i'm a Brit in the UK double jabbed (will have the third jab very soon)

This covid malarkey has made everything very complicated now. I will be applying for a tourist visa at the embassy next week for a planned trip back to Thailand in January. What is the longest i can realistically stay on a tourist visa with extensions etc?

Thanks for any help

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's impossible to answer. It will depend on if/when land borders open along with other things.

What's your age and how long would you like to visit Thailand.

Thanks for the answers.

Didn't know age was a factor but i am 64. I want to stay as long a s possible. I know about the 'retirement' visa but might look into that at a later date. I will fly in to Bangkok.

I thought i read somewhere that it's possible to stay up to 6 months on a 3 month tourist visa with extensions etc ?

5 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Thanks for the answers.

Didn't know age was a factor but i am 64. I want to stay as long a s possible. I know about the 'retirement' visa but might look into that at a later date. I will fly in to Bangkok.

I thought i read somewhere that it's possible to stay up to 6 months on a 3 month tourist visa with extensions etc ?

Here is one suggestion.

Enter tourist visa and obtain extension. That's 60+30.

Next apply for a non O based on retirement. The pain is that on day you apply you need 800k baht in Thai bank in your name only.

The nice thing is you can withdraw it after you obtain the non O.

That visa gives you 90 day stay.

All up 6 months.

Some will suggest obtain  STV however messy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

That was possible with 60 day covid 19 extensions but those could end at any time.

If apply for a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) and dependent upon how difficult it is you could leave and re-enter the country to get a another 60 day entry after the first one. And then another one just before the visa expires (6 months from the day it is issued).

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Here is one suggestion.

Enter tourist visa and obtain extension. That's 60+30.

Next apply for a non O based on retirement. The pain is that on day you apply you need 800k baht in Thai bank in your name only.

The nice thing is you can withdraw it after you obtain the non O.

That visa gives you 90 day stay.

All up 6 months.

Some will suggest obtain  STV however messy.

Thanks Jack.

I used to have a 'retirement' visa many years ago, so familiar with the process but now not sure i want to go through the hassle again. I just thought it was possible to stay up to 6 months or so on a tourist visa

Cheers

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That was possible with 60 day covid 19 extensions but those could end at any time.

If apply for a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) and dependent upon how difficult it is you could leave and re-enter the country to get a another 60 day entry after the first one. And then another one just before the visa expires (6 months from the day it is issued).

...are you saying it's possible to leave (KL example) and get another 60 day tourist visa before the fist one is expired?

Not sure i understood correctly

3 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

. I just thought it was possible to stay up to 6 months or so on a tourist visa

Normally it is. That's all relying on some land borders open. 

Your allowed 2 border bounces per calendar year and reenter visa exempt. Each one with 30 day extension gives you 4 months.

Along with your tourist visa entry and extension that's another 3 months.

7 already.

Have a look at my previous suggestion obtaining non O. Yes you need to bring in funds but some of that can be for holiday. 

If you've got 600k Baht to spare you could buy an Elite visa and stay for 5 years without leaving, or 20 years (also no need to leave) with the 1 million baht option.

Not so cheap but it's the nearest thing to permanent residency you can simply pay for.

41 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Hi, i'm a Brit in the UK double jabbed (will have the third jab very soon)

This covid malarkey has made everything very complicated now. I will be applying for a tourist visa at the embassy next week for a planned trip back to Thailand in January. What is the longest i can realistically stay on a tourist visa with extensions etc?

Thanks for any help

As long as you wish if you don't mind breaking laws...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mikebike said:

As long as you wish if you don't mind breaking laws...

He mentioned this so I'm guessing 6 months 

"I thought i read somewhere that it's possible to stay up to 6 months on a 3 month tourist visa with extensions etc ?"

If more clear then he would obtain better advice. 

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A multiple entry allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue. Every time you enter the country you get a new 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

It is possible to get almost 9 months of stay from it by entering to get a new 60 day entry just before it expires and then extend it for 30 days,

Okay, that's what i'm looking for.

So i apply for a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa valid for 3 months at the embassy in London? Thanks

8 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

...i'd like the option to stay around 6-9 months if possible

I outlined the non O option without extension. 

That gives you 7 months.

The issue with METV you will need to exit Thailand. 

You won't like my suggestion but personally I would enter visa exempt. Obtain a non O retirement and also 12 month extension. After you obtain the extension you can live off the money. Your not intending to obtain another extension.

That would require 800k in bank for approx 3 months all up. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I outlined the non O option without extension. 

That gives you 7 months.

The issue with METV you will need to exit Thailand. 

You won't like my suggestion but personally I would enter visa exempt. Obtain a non O retirement and also 12 month extension. After you obtain the extension you can live off the money. Your not intending to obtain another extension.

That would require 800k in bank for approx 3 months all up. 

Okay, thanks for the response Jack but leaving Thailand by plane for a neighbouring country for a few days or a week every now and then to get an extension wouldn't be an issue for me

Cheers

1 minute ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Okay, thanks for the response Jack but leaving Thailand by plane for a neighbouring country for a few days or a week every now and then to get an extension wouldn't be an issue for me

Cheers

I'm on your page. However your talking ancient pre covid history.

Point is prior to covid I went to Saigon every month. Fact is no longer possible.

It's a huge assumption to think that there will be easy options to fly out back into Thailand early next year.

Just using Saigon as one example. Today's new covid cases ~12k think deaths rose to 135+.

Personally I'm telling folk in Vietnam most likely. I'm  not back there till mid next year.

Your exit/reentry will be gamble.

50 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm on your page. However your talking ancient pre covid history.

Point is prior to covid I went to Saigon every month. Fact is no longer possible.

It's a huge assumption to think that there will be easy options to fly out back into Thailand early next year.

Just using Saigon as one example. Today's new covid cases ~12k think deaths rose to 135+.

Personally I'm telling folk in Vietnam most likely. I'm  not back there till mid next year.

Your exit/reentry will be gamble.

All good points Jack and I will keep them in mind, cheers ???? 

But being the eternal optimist  it’s probably the route I’ll take and hope it all works out ???? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

If you've got 600k Baht to spare you could buy an Elite visa and stay for 5 years without leaving, or 20 years (also no need to leave) with the 1 million baht option.

Not so cheap but it's the nearest thing to permanent residency you can simply pay for.

I think you scared him away ????????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Don't you need to exit every year? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Don't you need to exit every year? 

No, you never need to leave you just do 1 year extensions every year for the duration of your membership but if you do exit the country at some point then you get a 1 year stamp when you return, every time.

Edited by ukrules

In one of the original posts UJ mentioned a 60 days tourist visa with a 30 day extension ( I think it's 1900 baht) I think this is the easiest slightly long term option now available. Does anyone know if you apply for the 60 day etourist visa and your plane ticket shows a departure date 90 days later will that be an issue? Is it necessary to buy a throw away ticket then ? Or will the airline when boarding in USA want to see an exit ticket 60 days or less out?  I don't even know what Thailand Pass may want. 

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

No, you never need to leave you just do 1 year extensions every year for the duration of your membership but if you do exit the country at some point then you get a 1 year stamp when you return, every time.

By extensions you mean queue up at immigration and pay 1900 baht ? If so, this seems no better than a retirement extension.

16 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Or will the airline when boarding in USA want to see an exit ticket 60 days or less out?

If you have a visa the airline will not ask for onward ticket.

Did happen to me once flying to Vietnam as my visa only had 5 days left.

With your tourist visa you won't be asked for onward flight.

To obtain the TV your application may require onward flight. That's up to consulate that your dealing with. If asked for they would/may accept 90 day from arrival date. You would need check with consulate.

11 hours ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Okay, that's what i'm looking for.

So i apply for a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa valid for 3 months at the embassy in London? 

A multiple entry tourist visa (METV) is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. You can use it to enter the country for those 6 months and get a new 60 day stay.l