TAT: Governor tells media there's been no slowdown to tourism due to Omicron

webfact

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

In a year all the naysayers "Thailand is finished" will be eating their words. There is and always will be a big demand for this place especially for the millions of unhappy or adventuresome males in the world.

Places are busy with just local tourists wait until the hoardes of Asian foreigners and others start coming.

Well without the Chinese who are 30% of the tourist numbers to Thailand  plus other countries whose folks will not take a risk of losing big money spent on flights and hotels etc the Thai tourism will be well down in the next year . Most adventurous  males like a bar scene with some female company but that has all but ended . Below is a scale of tourists to Thailand in 2019

Thailand Tourism Statistics for 2019. Arrivals by Countries and Regions of  Origin.

Over 4 million "tourists" from Malyasia, almost 2 million "tourists" from Laos, an almost 1 million "tourists" from Mymanar?!   No way that many were "tourists."   

More likely they were people just crossing back and forth across the border very frequently to deliver/buy goods (trade) and/or to find jobs (labors) in Thailand.  But if Thailand wants to call these folks "tourists" it does indeed help to inflate tourism stats.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Virt said:

I don't think a lot of people will cancel their already bought tickets, since it's not possible to get a refund in the current situation, so he might be correct if 600,000 already had bought their tickets, but it does sound a bit to optimistic.

Most reputable international airlines do offer cancellation or rebooking due to COVID.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Greenwich Boy said:

I am currently doing touristy things in Bangkok. Just seen my first tour group near Wat Pho. Snake of maybe 30 people. Bloke with a stick and a flag in charge. Eastern European or Russian from listening to them. Back in Chiang Mai there are a few new faces about. Not a lot I agree but some are still keen to travel whatever obstacles are put in front of them.

yep same  saw a lot of new white faces around jomtien this week lot more non Asian females .. someone's traveling

Went to Rayong immigration today for 90 day report (Couldn't be ar$ed to deal with YET ANOTHER new Thailand Government run website and try the new and improved site)

It was FULL of westerners, and only one was waiting for 90 day report.  Everyone else was doing retirement, extensions etc. from the looks of the paperwork.  Female farangs also, not just fat old dudes with young Thai birds (NTTAWWT)

I haven't seen that many people in the office since even before COVID...  it was pretty dead for a year before that even.  4 years ago the place was a nightmare with Philippine, some Cambodian and a very few Myanmar.  Not sure what happened to all them as it has been an absolute breeze, especially during COVID.