Dental surgery with general anesthesia

Na Fan

We've been looking and asking around to find a place that can do it reliably and also understands that this isn't the same as local anesthesia (which every self-proclaimed dentist can do).

Can you recommend a place from experience? Anywhere in central Thailand is fine.

Any indication or knowledge around predicted costs would be helpful too!

Cheers

Fan

Edited by Na Fan

I tried just about every dental surgery in the Pattaya area, all said a firm NO.

I ended up going to Bangkok Pattaya hospital, cost me about 30,000 Baht to have a tooth removed.

My problem is I'm s*** scared of dentists to start with, plus the thought of having a tooth removed whilst conscious was a no go.

The dentist at the hospital was still reluctant to take it out and tried to push me to having root canal or some much treatment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

For this you have to go to a  dental department within a hospital. And it will be costly. Think 20k on up depending on rhe hospital and what needs to be done.

Yes thanks @Sheryl - I'm aware that it's likely mostly hospitals that can do this. I have addressed a dozen or so of the ones nearby, but I was looking for specific recommendations and / or experiences.

So far the only one that responded is Bumrungrad, but I fear their quote will be way out of my price range.

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

You might find it easier to find a dentist that will give a sedative and local instead of general anaesthetic. Have you thought of that as an alternative?

Obviously. Perhaps a million times in the nightmares I have from the trauma I went through as a child due to some sick f*** that called himself a dentist.

Not happening.

• Like 1

OP:

Bangkok Hospital (BH) in Chiang Mai provides treatment under general anaesthetic or IV sedation. I guess the same options might be available at whichever BH is nearest to you.

Good luck and please post here if you find the treatment you're after. 

1 minute ago, yang123 said:

OP:

Bangkok Hospital (BH) in Chiang Mai provides treatment under general anaesthetic or IV sedation. I guess the same options might be available at whichever BH is nearest to you.

Good luck and please post here if you find the treatment you're after. 

Yes BH are in the list of those I contacted, thanks.

3 hours ago, Na Fan said:

Yes thanks @Sheryl - I'm aware that it's likely mostly hospitals that can do this. I have addressed a dozen or so of the ones nearby, but I was looking for specific recommendations and / or experiences.

So far the only one that responded is Bumrungrad, but I fear their quote will be way out of my price range.

I wasn't sure what you meant by central Thailand.

If Bangkok, you might try Mission, St Louis, the various Phyathais (1,2 or 3) or Bangkok Christian. All likely to cost less rhan Bunrungrad.

Your problem will be getting information without first going there and being seen by a dentist.

Do you really require full anesthesia or would IV sedation suffice?

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I wasn't sure what you meant by central Thailand.

If Bangkok, you might try Mission, St Louis, the various Phyathais (1,2 or 3) or Bangkok Christian. All likely to cost less rhan Bunrungrad.

Ypur problem will be getting information without first going there and being seen by a dentist.

Do you really require full anesthesia or would IV sedation suffice?

Yeah Bangkok, Chonburi.

Thanks those are new to me.

I have no experience with IV sedation, but from what I've read your sensors are still active and your whitness what's happening. Not an option.

I'm trying to avoid wasting time to drive around for hours for an appointment only for them to tell me "we can't help you" or quoting a price that's 10x what I can afford to pay.

I think any professional hospital would be able to make a quote, given an xray and the simple instructions to remove all existing bridges and remaining teeth and make dentures under full anesthesia?

https://dentalhospitalthailand.com/about-dental-hospital-bangkok/sleep-dentistry/

was the first thing that popped up on Google.

I had a similar issue. Wanted things tided up, but had horrible experiences with dentists when younger.

Did extensive research and ended up using a hospital in Sri Racha. I think the extra cost was 10k to 15k at the time. They asked me to count to ten and I don't remember anything until after I woke up.

Very happy with the service provider. Though the dental surgeon involved has since moved to private practice.

So you'd need to follow up with the hospital and/or surgeon if you were interested.

I still use the same dental surgeon. In fact I fly to Thailand especially for that purpose. No need for general after the first experience; as of course it's mostly to do with anxiety. Once I realised the pain was actually minimal or non-existent, I just decided to relax and allow them to get on with it. 

With the right dental surgeon, everything is relatively painless and comfortable.

In fact she did a filling almost without telling me. I had no idea that it was already done when she finished.

Contrast that with the horrible experience of what seemed like Black & Decker drills being used on your teeth as a child ????

The dentist in my country could not even get the seating position right. Useless.

So glad I walked out and made the decision to have the work done in Thailand. Saved a chunk of cash that way too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Na Fan said:

I think any professional hospital would be able to make a quote, given an xray and the simple instructions to remove all existing bridges and remaining teeth and make dentures under full anesthesia?

The problem is that emails go to clerical people who tend to be reluctant to contact the medical peopl, and whose English is limited. And you are requesting something that is unusual/out of the ordinary and  which will not appear on any price list. In that situation, in Thailand, the responses you will get by email may nto be very accurate or of much use.

Obviously. Perhaps a million times in the nightmares I have from the trauma I went through as a child due to some sick f*** that called himself a dentist.

Not happening.

Same here mate, I was about 10, got out of the surgery after 2 hellishly pain hours & collapsed in the street, turned me off dentists for life.

What was supposed to be a simple extraction tuned out to be a nightmare and put me off dentists for life.

It actually turned into a very painful surgical extraction, nothing would kill the pain, 2 hours of agony.

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Geez... I had a tooth die in the rear of my mouth.. last molar - best option was to remove... one x-ray, one shot of novocaine and 5 minutes later the tooth was removed... no pain. 600 baht in Chiang Mai... I have a great dentist that I have been using for 15+ years... 

No reason to get general anesthesia which is probably more dangerous that a simple tooth extraction... 

You obviously don't bother reading posts then, look at what I just posted, not a nice experience for a 10 year old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

https://dentalhospitalthailand.com/about-dental-hospital-bangkok/sleep-dentistry/

was the first thing that popped up on Google.

I had a similar issue. Wanted things tided up, but had horrible experiences with dentists when younger.

Did extensive research and ended up using a hospital in Sri Racha. I think the extra cost was 10k to 15k at the time. They asked me to count to ten and I don't remember anything until after I woke up.

Very happy with the service provider. Though the dental surgeon involved has since moved to private practice.

So you'd need to follow up with the hospital and/or surgeon if you were interested.

I still use the same dental surgeon. In fact I fly to Thailand especially for that purpose. No need for general after the first experience; as of course it's mostly to do with anxiety. Once I realised the pain was actually minimal or non-existent, I just decided to relax and allow them to get on with it. 

With the right dental surgeon, everything is relatively painless and comfortable.

In fact she did a filling almost without telling me. I had no idea that it was already done when she finished.

Contrast that with the horrible experience of what seemed like Black & Decker drills being used on your teeth as a child ????

The dentist in my country could not even get the seating position right. Useless.

So glad I walked out and made the decision to have the work done in Thailand. Saved a chunk of cash that way too.

Thank you - that's very helpful. Particularly the rough idea of the additional cost of anesthesia.

Do you recall the name of the hospital in Sri Racha?

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

You obviously don't bother reading posts then, look at what I just posted, not a nice experience for a 10 year old.

We might have been posting at just about the same time and that wasn't available to read when I was in the process of posting... and I doubt every time I post I read every post in the thread anyway...

but, it still stands - I had a very easy and simple and painless extraction... and though you might try and bully me, I was still trying to be reassuring... hopefully most of us can get past our childhood traumas if we can gain some benefit by doing so... 

6 hours ago, Na Fan said:

Thank you - that's very helpful. Particularly the rough idea of the additional cost of anesthesia.

Do you recall the name of the hospital in Sri Racha?

https://www.phyathai-sriracha.com/pytsweb_eng/

Dental surgeon Paweenwan Suwangatte has moved and is now at

https://web.facebook.com/estebangsaen/ 

http://estedentalclinic.com

Of course the costs will be considerably below the prices in Bangkok.

I can hand on heart state that I don't think I could have picked a better person. First class in every respect.

If you were thinking about full mouth dentures anchored by titanium implants; that could get expensive; though still relatively inexpensive.

15 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Of course the costs will be considerably below the prices in Bangkok.

I can hand on heart state that I don't think I could have picked a better person. First class in every respect.

If you were thinking about full mouth dentures anchored by titanium implants; that could get expensive; though still relatively inexpensive.

If I can afford it, yes.

What's your definition of "expensive; though relatively inexpensive" ?

If I can afford it, yes.

What's your definition of "expensive; though relatively inexpensive" ?

I mean if you are thinking of implant tethered dentures; then I would imagine something like eight would be needed. If so; then you are looking at a minimum of 360,000 baht....and that would be relatively inexpensive in comparison to Bangkok prices. There I would expect prices in excess of 500k.

But it's not just about the money; but confidence in the person doing the work. Lots of little details that make the experience more comforting and less fraught. Little details like numbing the gums with anaesthetic, prior to administering local anaesthetic by needle. So there is no discomfort even from the beginning.

Small details to help put you at ease.....and, no as the Americans would say, 'nickel and diming'.

So a personal recommendation for the dental surgeon.