Thai Bank Account - Change of Address?

During my previous visit to Thailand just over 2 years ago I opened an account with Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai.  I was on a tourist visa at the time.

I've just returned to Thailand again but this time will be staying in Pattaya for a year (possibly more).

I opened the account with a Certificate of Residence for my address in Chiang Mai but as far as I can see in online banking there is no actual record of my address - I'm just classed as a "tourist".

Should I update the bank with my new address, or just leave things as they are?

Thanks.

IMHO don't worry about it

My address with one of the Thai Banks is still in Pattaya and I haven't received any post on that address from them since we moved away from there about 6 years ago

Ps: friends of ours are still living at that same address and they would tell us if there was mail for us

• Like 1

If you would use Kasikorn  K+ app for transferring out of Thailand you would see your complete address in the app as sender.....at least on my  transfers it is  ....even the floor of my apartment is on it .

BTW  only 250 baht until end December no matter the sum ????

Edited by david555

Just now, david555 said:

If you would use Kasikorn  K+ app for transferring out of Thailand you would see your complete address in the app as sender.....a least on my  transfers it is  ....even the floor of apartment is on it .

BTW  only250 baht until end December no matter the sum ????

What's the rate like vs Dee money?

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What's the rate like vs Dee money?

Depends from their exchange rate  check Foreign Exchange Rate - KASIKORNBANK

there is a tool on it too just click open at the end of your choice ,and  then the second option  (if it is in Thai )...., can do buying or selling currency example Euros for transferring Thb out of thailand , or  different option if selling example Euros or other value .

i had it on 29 Nov. 38.46 Thb for buying Euros transferring them , arrived same day on my Belgium account send time was 10 clock morning Thai time .... passed by ....Lithuania to reach Belgium bank by 21 clock on bank statement online

reason of sending accept  different options , some i can do , some needing  different account type for receiver ....

Edited by david555

14 minutes ago, MJCM said:

IMHO don't worry about it

My address with one of the Thai Banks is still in Pattaya and I haven't received any post on that address from them since we moved away from there about 6 years ago

Ps: friends of ours are still living at that same address and they would tell us if there was mail for us

Thanks.  It did occur to me after I left last time that maybe my bank statements were being sent to the serviced apartment that I stayed in ????

5 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

There are certain things that can only be done at your 'home' branch which can be a ball ache if you're living elsewhere.

Yeah this is actually the main reason I asked.  Is it possible to update the home branch do you know?

The thing is though I'm already 2 months into my 1 year stay here and not sure what I'll be doing after that.

11 minutes ago, david555 said:

I never had any statements send to me from Kasikorn in 13 years ....????

Nor have I.

44 minutes ago, ed79 said:

Should I update the bank with my new address, or just leave things as they are?

I best leave well alone, I can only see pain: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ed79 said:

Yeah this is actually the main reason I asked.  Is it possible to update the home branch do you know?

The thing is though I'm already 2 months into my 1 year stay here and not sure what I'll be doing after that.

Branches of the same bank are different in this country. Even though they share the same name, they seem to operate as separate entities for some things. I'd imagine there is a process to transfer branches but if you have a certificate of residence, it might be easier to just open one in the city you plan on staying in for the majority of the time. You also pay an ATM fee for every withdrawal when withdrawing in a city that is not where your home branch is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Branches of the same bank are different in this country. Even though they share the same name, they seem to operate as separate entities for some things. I'd imagine there is a process to transfer branches but if you have a certificate of residence, it might be easier to just open one in the city you plan on staying in for the majority of the time. You also pay an ATM fee for every withdrawal when withdrawing in a city that is not where your home branch is.

Ahh yeah, I have noticed a 15 baht charge for using an ATM that surprised me a bit - that'll be why ????

• Like 1

you can't update the home branch, you have to open a new account in Pattaya, you can keep the old account if you want, but transferring or withdrawing money outside certain zones using ATM or the teller in branch incur some fee, it's free if you have online access though

Bangkok bank is particularly anal about certain thing that must be done at the original branch, like getting a new book etc. so it's easier to find a friendly branch in Pattaya that would let you open  new account without too much hassle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

That's probably the best idea, strange as it may seem.

Yes, i agree.

My 'home' branch is 450kms from where the rest of my documented life is in Thailand and they've basically told me it's easiest to shut that account and open a new one where i live.

I'm reluctant to do that as i've so many DD from the existing branch and i'm lazy to go through the tedious process of setting them all up from a new account.

With Bangkok Bank if you want to update your address you will need to visit your home branch.   And you can not transfer accts from one branch to another; therefore, if you want your home branch to be a branch close to your new address you will have to open a new acct at that nearby branch, withdraw/transfer funds from the other branch to your new branch, then close the account you had at the old branch if you don't want to keep it.   As mentioned earlier by another poster, although each bank has "many" branches each branch is like a little kingdom unto itself for many banking issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ed79 said:

I am now living already for 6 years in another province then where my Home Branch Bank account is, and I have never been told to go to my Home Branch.

I did the following things already at the Bank

- got a new Bankbook

- got a new ATM Card

- did a BIG withdrawal (well over 1 Million THB)

The only issue (I see) is that when you use your ATM card to withdraw money from an ATM is that it costs an extra 15 THB because your account is in another province but you just use the Cashless WIthdrawal Function in your Bank app on the phone to circumvent that!

No idea about the bank letter but I don't think that would be an issue!!

And about your question to update your home branch, AFAIK NOT possible, you have to close the account at your home branch and open a new account! But when I asked was approx 5 years ago, so maybe things have changed (I see someone already posted this that it is not possible)

• Thanks 1