"Please help me get my brother home": A family's desperate plea after 44-year-old dies suddenly days after arriving in Thailand for winter holiday

Jonathan Fairfield

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Temporary loan perhaps. But then again that might be to simple.

I have given money to friends who needed it for any stupid or legit reasons and helped out, second time also, third time no. However never given donations to people I do not know. 

4 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

I doubt that he would bring 5k over in cash. He would probably rely on an ATM. You are not going to get that out of his bank without all the necessary paperwork

YEs it takes time to get all that paperwork done.  Sometimes years.  

Nah, I'm not going to donate to get him home.  But them I'm a cheap older guy.... 

• Haha 1

Just now, Blumpie said:

I'm with a lot of people here and always have felt this way - this body, when I've stopped breathing, isn't me anymore.  Where do I go?  Pluto?  Heaven?  Hell?  Eternal blackness?  IT doesn't matter.  

Huck my remains in the trash for all I care.  

Our respect for the dead and their memories is what separates us from animals and barbarians

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Asquith Production said:

How many people do you give your PIN number to then? I certainly dont.

A few gf's I had in Thailand I have given a credit card, and so far never taken on baht without asking. My Gf have now access to my bank and two credit cards, so for her easy to make sure I can have the help when  needed without need to wait for insurance approval. He might have died because of no proper garantie from either insurance or anybody else! So if you trust someone, it can save your life in a critical situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yea that is a bit strange, the guy must have some savings and such. One would assume as much especially how hard he works and then travels to Thailand.

But skipping out on a travel insurance that covers repatriation of body and so on is just stupid.

But so many on this forum have a hatred of insurance. I see this most from people in the US/UK. Maybe they consider it more as a waste of money. 

Cynicism more than hatred 

22 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No paperwork required. Most could be covered by a few ATM withdrawals

A foreign inpatient will be facilitated to pay by credit/debit card by the hospital. 

In the event of a patient dying the police, embassy and bank are informed and the account is frozen. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Probably as you by health insurance NOT death insurance !

Health insurance does cover repatriation, however health insurance is far more expensive than travel insurance, suffice to say those without health insurance, which are most, should opt for travel insurance.

In other words most people rely on the NHS or Medicare in their home countries as they pay taxes (compulsory) and don't think twice about health insurance (private), so travel insurance is there, readily available, suffice to say, if government made it mandatory, all they would have to do is advise the airlines to put in a question tab, e.g. DO YOU HAVE TRAVEL INSURANCE ? the indenting traveller would put in yes, then add the policy number and the ticket would be sent in the email, press no and then a message could flash across the screen, i.e. YOU REQUIRE TRAVEL INSURANCE to be able to purchase your ticket and a few drop down boxes can provide them with links to insurers, nothing is to hard if they really want to get serious about it.

I have health insurance and I take out travel insurance when I travel, the latter is cheap and if one doesn't pay then I have an option to try the other, no point in being exposed so to speak and extra cover is a must as the Irish say; to be sure to be sure.

6 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

A foreign inpatient will be facilitated to pay by credit/debit card by the hospital. 

In the event of a patient dying the police, embassy and bank are informed and the account is frozen. 

I'm talking about his holiday money!!!!! That which he apparently didn't bring with him! I was responding to a post about how much money he brought with him.