"Please help me get my brother home": A family's desperate plea after 44-year-old dies suddenly days after arriving in Thailand for winter holiday

Jonathan Fairfield

7 minutes ago, John Drake said:

How is it a scam? Because the insurance required by Thailand Pass to deal with exactly this situation has apparently not paid off. Somebody is still left holding the bag.

I think some people are getting through only with covid insurance, that probably doesn't cover any other cases.

• Like 1

Surely if he was due to be in Thailand for 3 months he had the 60 or 90 day visa - I was required to show £5k in a bank account for this visa

Does anyone really spend the last money they have anywhere on a holiday?  

Close Thai and Indonesian friends I've had for over 20  years and family back in UK know that if I croak in Thailand or Bali then I'll remain there, as to be honest, I'd rather not put anyone through the grim procedure of repatriating a cadaver.

I'd imagine a 'global traveller' like this fellow apparently was, would have preferred that too.

RIP fellow

6 hours ago, robblok said:

Yea that is a bit strange, the guy must have some savings and such. One would assume as much especially how hard he works and then travels to Thailand.

But skipping out on a travel insurance that covers repatriation of body and so on is just stupid.

But so many on this forum have a hatred of insurance. I see this most from people in the US/UK. Maybe they consider it more as a waste of money. 

Sadly, insurance is one of those things that is both a waste of money and essential at the same time.

I insure my home against fire, flood, etc and I hope that I'm always going to be wasting that money!  I'd feel pretty exposed without it, and travel insurance is similar.

As to "why bring the body home?"... I have no idea why once a person is dead, their body is so important to the family / friends. But then I have no religion of any sort and don't understand that particular mindset. 

Just to add, for those who see my comments as insensitive, that both my parents were cremated - I don't visit the grounds to look at the area where they're "scattered" but I do have pictures of them and many other mementos, physical and mental. 

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, poohy said:

Maybe not if you are dead

i can certainly see an insurance company trying to dance around this!

Of course, is that not what they all do? They are all very quick to take your money, but it is a different story when someone makes a claim, fine print and legal jargon spring to mind.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I think some people are getting through only with covid insurance, that probably doesn't cover any other cases.

Excellent reasoning. On the basis he must have had some insurance there are several possibilities; 1) He didn't take out full medical cover, 2) He failed to disclose pre-existing conditions, 3) He indulged in risky activities that invalidated his cover. We need more information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Presumably he hasn't been dead before, and so it can't be considered a preexisting condition.

Health insurance providers can check back up to 10 years on a clients medical records and if they find they had a pre-existing condition and didn't disclose it, it's game over on the policy in a nutshell.

There are gaps in the story not telling us how he died, how long he suffered or what he died of for us to make a judgement call, that said, we can speculate that he had a heart attack for arguments sake, ended up in hospital, insurer was contacted, did a quick check on him as they would and found out he had suffered a previous heart attack and didn't disclose it, suffice to say such a pre-existing condition should have been disclosed and would be a known fraudulent act on the person taking out the insurance and could end up costing him/her their life as the insurer would be within their right to refuse them coverage.

There is more to this story than we are being fed, A) We know he died, B) Insurance didn't cover him and C) But we don't know what he died from. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Health insurance providers can check back up to 10 years on a clients medical records and if they find they had a pre-existing condition and didn't disclose it, it's game over on the policy in a nutshell.

There are gaps in the story not telling us how he died, how long he suffered or what he died of for us to make a judgement call, that said, we can speculate that he had a heart attack for arguments sake, ended up in hospital, insurer was contacted, did a quick check on him as they would and found out he had suffered a previous heart attack and didn't disclose it, suffice to say such a pre-existing condition should have been disclosed and would be a known fraudulent act on the person taking out the insurance and could end up costing him/her their life as the insurer would be within their right to refuse them coverage.

There is more to this story than we are being fed, A) We know he died, B) Insurance didn't cover him and C) But we don't know what he died from. 

Redit? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Is hospital treatment for a heart attack not medical care?

I suppose insurance companies legal Jargon could maybe say it isn't, when they are doing their usual trying to avoid paying out any claims.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

44 and doesn't have £5k in assets? However can afford trip to Thailand. How do these stories even become news worthy. 

Next.

absolutely agree .....  many people meet fate while away from family,  i'm sure we all have known a friend who has succumb to something while away from friends and family,  why does this even get put as news,  it's not really news in the sense.     just my 2 cents worth.

sad but manageable, but not internet news.

RIP DS.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Of course, is that not what they all do? They are all very quick to take your money, but it is a different story when someone makes a claim, fine print and legal jargon spring to mind.

I dislike it when I read of such BS, I have NEVER had an insurer refuse me from a claim, that said, if you read the fine print, know what you are insured for and play by the rules and of course pay for the policy then you shouldn't have a problem.

The above said, those bitten by insurers had obviously not done their due diligence when taking out their policy, otherwise why would they be complaining without any examples/reasons ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Did you see the link?  What do you think the chances are of his being Muslim?!

Yes, I fully read the link. I did not refer to him being a Muslim. I was referring in general terms as Islam being a religion where cremation is not practiced.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Now I understand why the Thai government insist on tourists getting health insurance before approving the Thailand Pass.

Shouldn't his relatives be able to claim from the health insurance company? 

How does the Thai government verify whether a health insurance cert is genuine or fake in the first place?

I just read another article and there was no mention of any health or travel insurance of any kind, he died of a heart attack, did manage to ring his sister back home but passed away afterwards.

That said, it would appear that the Thai government is only interested in people having cover for Covid, which in my opinion is wrong, but hey they probably don't want to spook tourists by making them pay extra for travel insurance which in my opinion would be the right decision to make and mandate, thus taking the pressure off of families, but it's the old, "up to you" policy they have had from day one.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/family-pleas-for-help-repatriating-british-man-who-died-in-thailand?fbclid=IwAR18ldV3NPFu_xduWyGMl8b29zJ9lTuCmov1jafszCRxOHWGJ3_eumP7KKM

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, steven100 said:

absolutely agree .....  many people meet fate while away from family,  i'm sure we all have known a friend who has succumb to something while away from friends and family,  why does this even get put as news,  it's not really news in the sense.     just my 2 cents worth.

sad but manageable, but not internet news.

RIP DS.

It is news because of the families plea to get his body home, nothing more. However, there is a lot being left out of the story.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I just read another article and there was no mention of any health or travel insurance of any kind, he died of a heart attack, did manage to ring his sister back home but passed away afterwards.

That said, it would appear that the Thai government is only interested in people having cover for Covid, which in my opinion is wrong, but hey they probably don't want to spook tourists by making them pay extra for travel insurance which in my opinion would be the right decision to make and mandate, thus taking the pressure off of families, but it's the old, "up to you" policy they have had from day one.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/family-pleas-for-help-repatriating-british-man-who-died-in-thailand?fbclid=IwAR18ldV3NPFu_xduWyGMl8b29zJ9lTuCmov1jafszCRxOHWGJ3_eumP7KKM

I am pretty sure showing a policy covering 50K USD us also required to arrive with.  I just received my QR code fior my return to Thailand after I fly to the states. They reject3d it the first time as I supplied 2 certificates, one for Covid and one for the 50k usd or above.  They wanted it on one sheet. When I had the I surer send me a one sheet certificate it listed I was covered for both.

One has to wonder if his certificate was a fraud.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is news because of the families plea to get his body home, nothing more. However, there is a lot being left out of the story.

I agree and I know that .... that's why it's news, because they want financial help.

make a go fund me like everyone else. 

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I am pretty sure showing a policy covering 50K USD us also required to arrive with.  I just received my QR code fior my return to Thailand after I fly to the states. They reject3d it the first time as I supplied 2 certificates, one for Covid and one for the 50k usd or above.  They wanted it on one sheet. When I had the I surer send me a one sheet certificate it listed I was covered for both.

One has to wonder if his certificate was a fraud.

I believe it is only insurance for Covid that is required for tourists, long stay could be both, that said, I stand to be corrected, as always.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-to-thailand/covid-19-insurance-for-thailand

Edited by 4MyEgo

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I agree and I know that .... that's why it's news, because they want financial help.

make a go fund me like everyone else. 

Actually they have already, its on a different platform though called "justgiving.com" the link is in the main article link. I guess they are just trying to spread this as far as possible. They've raised nearly 4,000 GBP so far.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

The above said, those bitten by insurers had obviously not done their due diligence when taking out their policy, otherwise why would they be complaining without any examples/reasons ? 

One could argue that it's the seller's responsibility to ensure their clients FULLY understand the policies they flog. Tiny print, incomprehensible jargon, and confusing terms are not in these contracts by accident. But, it doesn't have to be this way.

A half-decent author can write about any topic so that a 5-year old can understand it. And by the way, no one ever complains that something is too easy to read—other than...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I dislike it when I read of such BS, I have NEVER had an insurer refuse me from a claim, that said, if you read the fine print, know what you are insured for and play by the rules and of course pay for the policy then you shouldn't have a problem.

????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

And the family can't come up with 5K themselves? These campaigns always read like, "Help us raise the money so one of us don't have to sell their second car."

Of course, that might not be the case here. They might have done everything they can already and just need help with that last little bit. On the other hand, what's the point of flying a body across the world? The person has already passed on, just bury/cremate the body where he is and hold a funeral at a different location. I'll never understand this obsession with what is basically just the shell of the actual person.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

One could argue that it's the seller's responsibility to ensure their clients FULLY understand the policies they flog. Tiny print, incomprehensible jargon, and confusing terms are not in these contracts by accident. But, it doesn't have to be this way.

A half-decent author can write about any topic so that a 5-year old can understand it. And by the way, no one ever complains that something is too easy to read—other than...

I fail to see your point, noting that I do not consider myself to be the brightest spark when it comes to reading contracts, that said I will focus more and take my time to re-read something over and over and over again until I do, even highlighting points in the contract, as opposed to just saying oh what the heck and then sign it.

I suppose one can go back to the old buyer beware saying, and never expect anything to be simple in life, it's dog eat dog and people fall into traps because they don't like to read the contract, ignorance is no defence, nothing to do with incomprehensible jargon, if it is incomprehensible jargon to you and you can't understand it, then don't sign it, get a second opinion, someone to give you their understanding of it, and yes there is truth in the saying that, knowledge is a powerful tool, so use it.